FAO Steve

Glynis
Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Steve will you be doing any courses which will help me with ACCA F8. I can't afford kaplan/BPP fees and need as much help as possible with F8 as I am doing it in june.

Comments

• Glynis
    Steve will you be running any courses? I'm planning to start study tomorrow.
    Thanks
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Glynis wrote: ยป
    Steve will you be running any courses? I'm planning to start study tomorrow.
    Thanks

Glynis,

If I see a thread specifically with my name on it I will reply - you do not have to keep posting threads asking for a response!

I am not planning on running any audit courses unfortunately. My work commitments between now and April are very heavy as I am planning DFS courses and have also a few other seminars booked in with other training companies/professional bodies.

If you cannot enrol on a revision course then I would suggest you invest in some very reputable study material such as that published by BPP/Kaplan and maybe invest in a revision kit.

I must forewarn you that F8 is a jump from the AAT's IAP simulation as it introduces a higher level of auditing which puts you in good stead for P7 if you do that option paper. You may also want to consider teaming up with a 'study buddy' for the ACCA papers if you're studying on your own.

Regards
    Steve
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I don't know whereabouts you are situated but often you find you can do papers at the local uni.

I managed to study tax via the uni and it was cheaper than BPP or Kaplan. The tutor was very good but I much preferred BPP so did every other paper with them.

That might be another option for you.
  • Glynis
    Well could you not run a course in may. The ACCA don't sit there exams until june.
  • Steve Collings
    Hi Glynis,

I have to plan my diary months in advance because of work commitments and past experience suggests that audit courses are not really that much in demand as opposed to, say, financial reporting courses so I have to strike a balance but if there is a demand for audit courses at AAT/ACCA level then I will run one but it is unlikely. In addition, for June 2010 sittings, I am only doing courses in Birmingham, Manchester and potentially Leeds.

Annette has made a very valid suggestion about how to overcome your problems re BPP/Kaplan but I will be writing further articles which might help you.

I'm sorry I am not able to offer any more help but you should explore other options as you will benefit from a revision course.

Kind regards
    steve
  • lou123
    lou123 Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor โญ
    Breathtaking!
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    lou123 wrote: ยป
    Breathtaking!

A new surprise every time!
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    1) You are so damn rude. Steve spends months and months planning his workload & he helped you when quite frankly you were were being rude.

2)ACCA has its own forum. Sign up on there & as others have suggested get a study buddy. Working TOGETHER is invaluable way to gain information & insight
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    2)ACCA has its own forum. Sign up on there & as others have suggested get a study buddy. Working TOGETHER is invaluable way to gain information & insight

hahahha well said!!
  • Glynis
    1) You are so damn rude. Steve spends months and months planning his workload & he helped you when quite frankly you were were being rude.

I am sorry if you think I am being rude but I am just trying to get help with my studying. Is that so wrong? Like many people I find some study difficult and expensive.
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Glynis

Nobody is against you asking for help with your studying - I think it is more to do with the way that you ask ...
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Glynis

Nobody is against you asking for help with your studying - I think it is more to do with the way that you ask ...

agreed. and the lack of returning the favor imo
  • Glynis
    Steve can you advice me how I can get a job in practise? I am desparate to move.
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Glynis, have you tried the accountancystudents 'vacancies' section? Also try going onto sites directly, E&Y, PWC, KPMG etc all have their own trecruitment sections for students.
    Good luck.
    Regards,
    Andrea
  • Glynis
    Ooh I didn't think of those firms. Thank you for that. Do you work in practice if you did how did you do it.
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Not yet Glynis, I'm about to move though - found it through the ACA website, with firms offering AAT-ACA fastrack, I don't know if there's anything similar on the ACCA website. I'm taking a big paycut though :(
  • Glynis
    Will they pay your study? I need a firm to help with fees because studying acca is so expensive. You are so lucky to get in practice. I think ill be struggling for years!
  • troy
    troy Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Please everyone, lay off giving Glynis a hard time. I know she sounds a little rude and impatient sometimes, but I'm sure she doesn't mean to. Steve is ever so patient with her and I think we should take a leaf out of his book.
    Also it is very entertaining reading her posts!

Quick question though Glynis, how are you studying without using the BPP/Kaplan books? And are you not worried about the leap from doing AAT to be taking F8 as your next exam? The papers increse in difficulty as you go up, so would not F4 be a better place to start?

Question for Steve, what papers are you doing study days for please? I am very keen to hear, as I am struggling with F5.
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    troy wrote: ยป
    Please everyone, lay off giving Glynis a hard time. I know she sounds a little rude and impatient sometimes, but I'm sure she doesn't mean to. Steve is ever so patient with her and I think we should take a leaf out of his book.
    Also it is very entertaining reading her posts!

Quick question though Glynis, how are you studying without using the BPP/Kaplan books? And are you not worried about the leap from doing AAT to be taking F8 as your next exam? The papers increse in difficulty as you go up, so would not F4 be a better place to start?

Question for Steve, what papers are you doing study days for please? I am very keen to hear, as I am struggling with F5.

F4 is on law so thats one of the hardest as your starting from scratch. F8 is an audit and as Glynis has recently sat the audit skills test i think starting with F8 may be a good idea. The modules dont go in level of difficulty, its the stages that do e.g. professionals are harder than fundamentals
  • Steve Collings

Hi Troy,

If I remember rightly, F5 is concerned with Financial Management. I don't do any study days for this paper unfortunately, but if you log on to AccountancyStudents, I am sure one of our partners will offer some additional and relatively cheap resources to aid your study.

I wish you well in your studies.

Kind regards
    Steve
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Glynis wrote: ยป
    Ooh I didn't think of those firms. Thank you for that. Do you work in practice if you did how did you do it.

I work in practice, I applied and fortunately they hired me :-)
  • troy
    F4 is on law so thats one of the hardest as your starting from scratch. F8 is an audit and as Glynis has recently sat the audit skills test i think starting with F8 may be a good idea. The modules dont go in level of difficulty, its the stages that do e.g. professionals are harder than fundamentals

Thank you for explaining that for me, not concerned bout F4 as I already have a law degree so F4 is comparitvely easy.
    Never done audit though, but I will have to face that in F8...shame it is not one of the options though or else I wouldn't bother :)

Also thanks Steve for that, I will do as you say.

My initial question stands....without distance learning, how do you study for an exam? Would you just be buying the books and reading through them? If so, you may not be too much worse off than those that bought the tuition support bit with the books. LOL
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Troy
    I appreciate that there are a lot of miles between Lincoln and Chichester, but I have an F5 class at Chichester.
    Take the topics that trouble you one at a time, and I'll try and help.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Steve Collings
    Thank you for explaining that for me, not concerned bout F4 as I already have a law degree so F4 is comparitvely easy.
    Never done audit though, but I will have to face that in F8...shame it is not one of the options though or else I wouldn't bother :)

Also thanks Steve for that, I will do as you say.

My initial question stands....without distance learning, how do you study for an exam? Would you just be buying the books and reading through them? If so, you may not be too much worse off than those that bought the tuition support bit with the books. LOL

Troy

Sorry I forgot about Sandy Hood (doh!) I can say that his courses come highly recommended and students who I have taught DFS have also commented on Sandy's courses and have recommended them.

Hopefully I've redeemed myself!!

Best wishes
    Steve
  • troy
    Oh my word! I always thought that Sandy was a girl! Sorry...but then my name is Troy! So what excuse do I have? Most people think I am a boy, and when I am interviewing staff they do not have the common sense not to act surprised!

If you do not feel too insulted I would like to come on your study days but I will have to check with how I would get there and how long it takes to drine. My main problem is that my children go to their dad's alternate weekends, which means I have them the other. So I have a 50/50 chance of NOT being able to come....unles you REALLY like kids??? LOL

I will ask how far away that is as I have no idea. I was telling Farmergiles earlier...I judge the distance by how far a name sounds from Lincoln...and I have to say this is not a reliable method for judging distance. I warn you all to listen to your Geography teacher in school!!! :)
  • umerali2003
    umerali2003 Registered Posts: 400 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Oh my word! I always thought that Sandy was a girl! :)

I thought the same untill i saw him in one of the revision classes in london fabulous teacher i travelled a long way to attend that one day lecture but it was all worth it money well spent in Highly reccomonded
Privacy Policy