After technician

Options
kellyriddell
kellyriddell Registered Posts: 84 Regular contributor ⭐
Once I have passed my aat technician will I be able to set up doing peoples accounts on my own and sign them off? I know I'll need insurance and pay membership to the aat? I'm not 100% about it all - can people please give me some advice. I will be studying acca whilst doing the above. Thanks in advance x

Comments

• AatAbi
    AatAbi Registered Posts: 47 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Kelly,
    to be an AAT self employed then you will need to have the AAT membership, to be MAAT you need at least 12 months experience which 30% of it will have to be in accounts.

Once you are MAAT go to this page:
    http://www.aat.org.uk/content/item1769/

no offense Kelly, this is an easy question, you could easily find the answer, if you are planning to be a self-employed then you will need to start finding the answers yourself.
  • Julia
    Julia Registered Posts: 78 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Be careful about becoming a MIP and studying ACCA because ACCA will heavily restrict you. For example you will not be able to prepare accounts or tax returns. Lots of potential ACCA students are put off by ACCAs regulations.

Julia
  • kellyriddell
    kellyriddell Registered Posts: 84 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Aatabi - I am aware that by being self employed I will need to find answers for myself however I was merely asking for advise, I am only studying intermediate at the moment. After all this is a forum designed to ask questions.

Thank you for all advise
  • lorraine
    lorraine Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Aatabi - I am aware that by being self employed I will need to find answers for myself however I was merely asking for advise, I am only studying intermediate at the moment. After all this is a forum designed to ask questions.

Thank you for all advise

Kelly, you are correct this forum is for asking questions!

I would also say be careful about doing ACCA because of the restrictions on what you can do.
  • RichardK
    RichardK Registered Posts: 107 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    AatAbi wrote: »
    Kelly,
    to be an AAT self employed then you will need to have the AAT membership, to be MAAT you need at least 12 months experience which 30% of it will have to be in accounts.

Once you are MAAT go to this page:
    http://www.aat.org.uk/content/item1769/

no offense Kelly, this is an easy question, you could easily find the answer, if you are planning to be a self-employed then you will need to start finding the answers yourself.

This is one of the best replies I have seen.

Yes, if you want to be self employed you should be researching these things.

Hi Kelly, you need to become a full member of the AAT and then, and only then, apply to the AAT for a practising licence. If granted this means you will become a member in practice MIP and take on your own clients.

You will also need PII (Professional Indemnity Insurance) which can be applied for through the AAT website.

However, if you are doing work that is subcontracted to you by another accountant, you will not need the MIP licence.

IMPORTANT: please read the AAT MIP pages on this website to form a better opinion, as advised by "AatAbi".

Be aware that once you have passed your technician level exams, the ACA and ACCA will offer you exemptions or "credits of prior learning" which means you will not have to undertake some of the ACA or ACCA exam papers.

Please go to the relevant websites to see what exemptions exist. For ACA you can get up to 5 exemptions depending on the AAT units you have studied. The ACA will charge you £60 to process EACH exemption. You will just need to register with them as a student which is free of charge.
  • AatAbi
    AatAbi Registered Posts: 47 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options

Thank you for all advise

you will be fine, the way I see it, if you planning to be self-employed then AAT is the best for you, ACCA and CIMA are good if you already work in a big fat company and they paying for it (not sure why they would pay for something like that). personally I can not see any credits or effects on you performance as self-employed by these 2 courses.to be honest haven't seen many clients looking for someone with acca or cima or even aat, all they need is the experience.
    you got Sage experience then you are fine, you understand tax rules then you are brilliant and your mobile will never stop ringing.

good luck and sorry to bother you.
Privacy Policy