CV Help

Beth
Beth Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor โญ
Hi,

I am currently updating my CV as I am in the process of being made redundant (who isn't?!) so will be looking for a new job soon.

I was just wondering what people who have changed jobs part way through their AAT qualification have put. Currently studying for AAT qualification? Intermediate level AAT qualified? Or have you listed the exams taken?

I don't know what the most professional and appropriate thing to put down would be. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi Beth

I have recently had some very kind and most appreciated help on here with my CV. The wording on mine states

Since January 2008, I have been working towards acquiring AAT qualification: currently half way through my studies, I aim to become a qualified Accounting Technician by the end of 2011. (Copyright Blobbyh)

Something along the same lines?

Sorry to hear about the redundancy and good luck with the job hunting

Kat
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hi

I enrolled in both Level 2 and 3 so in my cv i have

AAT, Advance Combine Certificate in Accounting, January 2009 - present
    AAT, Diploma Technician in Accounting , June 2010 (pending)
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    i put simular

2009 โ€“ Date Oldham College
    (Diploma) Pending
    2008 โ€“ 2009 Oldham College
    (Intermediate) Association Account Technicians
    (certificate received)
    2007 โ€“ 2008 Oldham College
    (Foundation) Association Account Technicians
    (certificate received)
  • PatchLatics
    PatchLatics Registered Posts: 12 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    The Oldham College - AAT, Foundation Certificate in Accounting, September 2009 - Present
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Welcome to the forums Patch :)
  • A-Vic
    The Oldham College - AAT, Foundation Certificate in Accounting, September 2009 - Present

Hey Patch what level are you doing? NVQ or Diploma and do you have Tracy Mo or Ingrid???

As you can tell same college lol
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    TRAINING/EDUCATION: Studying AAT NVQ Level 4
    Kaplan Financial Manchester AAT NVQ Level 3
    (2008 โ€“ Present)
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    In your 'About me' box near the top of page one, I'd write the paragraph as I advised Kat on her own CV. IMO, a good CV should be roughly as follows:

1) Name, address and contact details at the top (but not your date of birth)

2) 'About me' or 'Who I am': a short paragraph should suffice and also briefly state what you are looking for

3) Your key skills and strengths bullet pointed (but not too many). Mention buzz words such as positive contributor, pro-active attitude, extensive knowledge, IT literate etc

4) Your employment history starting with the most recent. Expand on relevant positions and experience, adding gloss where necessary but no outright fibs. Work your way back through where and for who you've worked but it's not always necessary to go beyond the last ten years unless it has direct bearing on your new career: your prospective employer doesn't really care that you worked at Starbucks for the summer of '94 serving coffee but might if you did the accounts while there or had team leader experience.

5) Qualifications starting with the most recent. I personally wouldn't add passed, failed or currently studying as I'd let them ask you what progress you've made.

6) Add supporting certificates or training such as being a full first aider or if you hold current health and safety certificates, fire training etc. If they're looking for someone to also support other general areas of their organisation, these could help.

7) Your personal information: you might be a blood donor as might be the person who's interviewing you or you both support Nottingham Forest etc. Nearly everyone reads and walks so putting these shows you've run out of things to say: try to think of things that might catch an interviewers eye for an informal discussion point.

8) References can be supplied upon request. If they've lost interest by this point, names and phone numbers of who to contact will be irrelevant and could even be a data protection issue. If they're still reading, they'll ask for these when they're ready to but very unlikely at the first interview stage.
  • umerali2003
    umerali2003 Registered Posts: 400 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    In your 'About me' box near the top of page one, I'd write the paragraph as I advised Kat on her own CV. IMO, a good CV should be roughly as follows:

1) Name, address and contact details at the top (but not your date of birth)

2) 'About me' or 'Who I am': a short paragraph should suffice and also briefly state what you are looking for

3) Your key skills and strengths bullet pointed (but not too many). Mention buzz words such as positive contributor, pro-active attitude, extensive knowledge, IT literate etc

4) Your employment history starting with the most recent. Expand on relevant positions and experience, adding gloss where necessary but no outright fibs. Work your way back through where and for who you've worked but it's not always necessary to go beyond the last ten years unless it has direct bearing on your new career: your prospective employer doesn't really care that you worked at Starbucks for the summer of '94 serving coffee but might if you did the accounts while there or had team leader experience.

5) Qualifications starting with the most recent. I personally wouldn't add passed, failed or currently studying as I'd let them ask you what progress you've made.

6) Add supporting certificates or training such as being a full first aider or if you hold current health and safety certificates, fire training etc. If they're looking for someone to also support other general areas of their organisation, these could help.

7) Your personal information: you might be a blood donor as might be the person who's interviewing you or you both support Nottingham Forest etc. Nearly everyone reads and walks so putting these shows you've run out of things to say: try to think of things that might catch an interviewers eye for an informal discussion point.

8) References can be supplied upon request. If they've lost interest by this point, names and phone numbers of who to contact will be irrelevant and could even be a data protection issue. If they're still reading, they'll ask for these when they're ready to but very unlikely at the first interview stage.

that really helped me as well thank u very much blobbyh
  • Miss_HJ
    Miss_HJ Registered Posts: 91 Regular contributor โญ
    that really helped me as well thank u very much blobbyh

sent it to my home email / thanks
  • A-Vic
    o lord think i frightened off patch lol dont worry i only stalk on weekends :lol:
  • Support tutor
    Support tutor Registered Posts: 9 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Hi there,

We have a useful, modern CV writing tool on our website on the free resources page.

http://www.eagle-education.co.uk/resources/index.php

Also, there is some funding available to help with training costs when you've been made redundant. Eligability differs region to region. We support alot of students using REACT via Career Wales, and some obtain assistance using Job Centre Plus. You have to be quick though as some only provide it as you are being made redundant, not after!
  • PatchLatics
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    Hey Patch what level are you doing? NVQ or Diploma and do you have Tracy Mo or Ingrid???

As you can tell same college lol

Hey sorry for the late reply... I do the NVQ Level 2 at the moment as an apprentice as I work full time as an Accounts Administrator. I have Norma Ellison as my tutor. I don't think you will know her as she works only a day or two a week.

Which one are you doing? What days do you attend?
  • stevef
    stevef Registered Posts: 258 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    On CV's, please, please personalise your CV's for the job you are applying for. You have to make it very clear why you are suitable for the post that you are applying for, not just for some generic finance post. There is no greater turn off to an employer than reading a dozen identical CV's which give only partial indication of the applicants suitability; or where you have to read between the lines to find out what relevant experiences the applicant has.

Another, word of warning in this area, please read the job advert/instructions how to apply very carefully. Some employees, particularly in the public sector do not want you to send in a CV, but require you to fill in their application form, which ends up looking a bit like a CV. The reason for this is twofold: i) it makes pieces of information in your application easy to find because it appears in the same place on each application; and b) it controls the information disclosed, you may put information in your CV that a public sector employer should not be aware of until after the interview process (eg marital status, age, details of dependants etc). Disclosure of such information may invalidate your application with some employers, So if the application instructions say no CV's, please do not send one in 'just in case'.
  • A-Vic
    Hey sorry for the late reply... I do the NVQ Level 2 at the moment as an apprentice as I work full time as an Accounts Administrator. I have Norma Ellison as my tutor. I don't think you will know her as she works only a day or two a week.

Which one are you doing? What days do you attend?

Hey Patch

Am in all day mondays with Tracy Kirkman and Mo Saddiq doing Diploma last two exams fingers crossed in June.
  • PatchLatics
    Good Luck mate.
Privacy Policy