Accounting and GCSE Maths

Daniel E
Daniel E Registered Posts: 28 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi there,

I'm a university graduate and I've recently started studying the AAT course at cerificate level. However I received a grade C for GCSE Maths. I want to know if anyone thinks it is worth me retaking GCSE Maths to improve the prospects of finding accounting related employment? Is this necessary or will my ability to pass the AAT exams and skills tests be sufficient evidence of my level of mathematical proficiency?

Many Thanks

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hi

No need at all i also had a grade c but am now doing diploma level
  • Daniel E
    A-Vic wrote: Β»
    Hi

No need at all i also had a grade c but am now doing diploma level

Thanks for the response. However I know that I don't need a higher grade to complete the qualification. I'm asking more in terms of actually getting employment. Would it make a difference?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Well same again i started working for an accounting practice 5 years ago i did have GCSE's and a-levels however doing what you are doing now shows more competence than any GCSE and would put you in good sted for a job in accountancy.

And as a matter of fact completing the AAT is the equvalent of a first year degree so i would just concentrate on completing this.

Good luck

Vic
  • RowanB
    RowanB Registered Posts: 158 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    A C's a decent grade anyway. Employers tend to ask for C or above I think, and yes, passing the AAT qualification is strong evidence that you're competent with any required mathematics. Good luck Daniel and welcome to the forum.
  • Dipak Thanki
    Dipak Thanki Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I got a C, a pass is a pass, I don't understand why people think they need some high maths grade for Accounting. Accounting isn't that much maths related as many people think it is, I mean if I explained it to my grandma, she'd understand. Accounting requires basic maths such as add, divide, subtract, times and finding out percentages.
    Employers won't really care, all you need is the accounting qualifications and experience and bobs your uncle!

Hope that made some sense, my ways of explaining aren't the best.

Good luck
  • Daniel E
    Thanks a lot for the responses and the welcome. Following on, as experience is so important would my best bet be right now to offer my services voluntarily? My current job has nothing to do with accountancy but since I'm not going to find employment in that field without experience there doesn't seem to be any other option.
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Experience is very important in terms of finding employment. Most posts that I have seen recently have asked for a min of three years experience. I to am considering writing to local companies asking for work experience as I can't see myself getting a position without some. Good luck and let us know how you get on
  • Dipak Thanki
    You don't really need accounting experience, office admin would work too, you have to prove you can work in a past paced environment. The accounting knowledge you'll learn by working with the firm and from what I've heard it's not rocket science.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Experience is very important in terms of finding employment. Most posts that I have seen recently have asked for a min of three years experience. I to am considering writing to local companies asking for work experience as I can't see myself getting a position without some. Good luck and let us know how you get on

Its sort of against the rules to specify how many years. Due to discrimination rules.

They should say relevent or significant experience.

Either way, I suppose it doesn't help if you don't have any :(
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    PGM I didn't realise that, and they were posted on agency websites as well, you would think they would know better ;)
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    PGM wrote: Β»
    Its sort of against the rules to specify how many years. Due to discrimination rules.

They should say relevent or significant experience.

Either way, I suppose it doesn't help if you don't have any :(

Not so sure about the validity of that PGM. Declining by age, race or gender are certainly well known grounds for discrimination, but not job experience to my knowledge. Relevant or significant experience is subjective whereas three, five or seven years experience is quantifiable and I don't think any government could take away an employers fair right to ask for suitably qualified employees.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    Not so sure about the validity of that PGM. Declining by age, race or gender are certainly well known grounds for discrimination, but not job experience to my knowledge. Relevant or significant experience is subjective whereas three, five or seven years experience is quantifiable and I don't think any government could take away an employers fair right to ask for suitably qualified employees.

It was something my HR manager told me while putting together an advert for new staff.

She said it comes under age discrimination, as for example if you put 10 years experience you would be eliminating people under the age of 26. And they may still have significant experience, because others may only have done a little of whatever it is for the specified period.
  • Daniel E
    You don't really need accounting experience, office admin would work too, you have to prove you can work in a past paced environment. The accounting knowledge you'll learn by working with the firm and from what I've heard it's not rocket science.

So it's best I stay in my current admin job while studying the course rather than look for voluntary accounting work?
  • Dipak Thanki
    Daniel E wrote: Β»
    So it's best I stay in my current admin job while studying the course rather than look for voluntary accounting work?

yes, look for some voluntary work like on the weekends, for an hour or so
Privacy Policy