Qualified Accountant

2»

Comments

• Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
    Frankly this argument bores me as I see it on every forum I use.

It only depends on the person, you will find examples of bad chartered and bad AAT, you will find examples of good chartered and good AAT.

Be proud of what you are - we are qualified accounting technicians and petition the AAT to get more recognition for technician status - then this argument will never arise!

Well said Annette!! Couldn't agree with you more!

The only way AAT qualifieds are going to raise their status (not that it necessarily needs raising) is by getting the professional body to raise its recognition.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Well said Annette!! Couldn't agree with you more!

The only way AAT qualifieds are going to raise their status (not that it necessarily needs raising) is by getting the professional body to raise its recognition.

Yep.

I actually emailed the MIP team recently - there is no mention on the AAT homepage that MAATs can act as accountants in general practice and I find this lack distinctly unacceptable. The lady who mailed me back was in agreement and said this issue would be raised.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    You need to look a little closer - there is a link entitled 'Find an accountant' with the subscript 'Search for AAT licensed members in practice in your area.'

If you then click on that link it gives a very nice summary of what AAT qualified accountants can do.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    You need to look a little closer - there is a link entitled 'Find an accountant' with the subscript 'Search for AAT licensed members in practice in your area.'

If you then click on that link it gives a very nice summary of what AAT qualified accountants can do.
    Thanks Dean.

I have no idea if that was there when I raised my concerns (some time ago).

I can't actually find the article now that I commented on, so maybe the website has had a bit of a jig about.

Very pleased to see that section though. :)

Edit: I've just looked up my original email and yes, the page I was referring to is no longer there, or doesn't contain the same content.

For anyone interested, part of my email was as follows:
    A prospective new client has recently asked my what my qualifications are and so I have pointed him to the AAT website. However, I was disappointed that there was little mention of members in practice and what they can do on the "About the AAT" page:

What is an accounting technician?

An accounting technician is someone who has qualified with the AAT.

Accounting technicians work at all levels of finance, depending on the level of their career. Some accounting technicians work as accounts clerks, others go on to become managing directors or finance directors of well known companies.

As a practising accountant, dealing with accounts and taxation for small businesses, I want my clients to be able to look at the AAT website and feel secure that they are in safe hands....
  • red_devil
    red_devil Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
    Qualified accountant = Dean Shepherd!
Privacy Policy