Part Qualified Accountant

welshboy
welshboy Registered Posts: 82 Regular contributor โญ
Im just wondering how far through ACCA or CIMA you have to get to class yourself as a part qualified accountant?

I'm about to start Acca I believe you need to pass quite a few exams before you can class yourself as part qualified.

Comments

• Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    You are when you believe you are...

There is no generally accepted definition of part-qualified. I don't call myself part-qualified, but other people have described me as such. This is largely because I have several CIMA Managerial exam exemptions, but no actual CIMA passes because I haven't sat a CIMA exam yet. I may start using it when I pass the May exams. I do describe myself as a CIMA studier though.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    This could end up like the qualified thread.

Technically you are part qualified if you have passed some of the modules. I'm not quite sure how exemtpions fit in, but if they are registered with the governing body, then I don't see why they should be treated differently from passed exams.

I think the only thing is not to use the term to purposfully mislead someone, but I'm sure thats not the issue.
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    My boss reckons you have to have passed your P2 paper - I think Bluewednesday would be the best person to ask though.
  • C2XVT
    C2XVT Registered Posts: 62 Regular contributor โญ
    ACCA do not define the term "part-qualified".

If you are looking for jobs that state "part-qualified", you should get in touch with the recruiter to understand what they regard this as.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I agree.

ACCA has specifically stated that they don't recognise the term part qualified.

If someone asks for part qualified it is best to ask them what they mean although I would expect that registered with exemptions or passes would be acceptable.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I have read a number of threads about this subject with interest isnt the term quailified used in all professions whether it be a doctor or a vet but right out of uni i wouldnt want a doctor to give me medication or treat me without being in a hospital so the same could be said about an accountant (qualified or part).

Personally i would call myself (hopefully) in august a qualified accounts technition nothing more or nothing less untill i receive (hopefully again) a practising certificate from ACCA and with all the status that comes with it as being a reconised accountancy body.
  • welshboy
    welshboy Registered Posts: 82 Regular contributor โญ
    Thanks Guys,

Just seems to be to types of jobs that are advertised assistant accountant and part qualified account when in some cases they may actually be very similar?

Thanks for you opinions

Matt
  • A-Vic
    Thanks Guys,

Just seems to be to types of jobs that are advertised assistant accountant and part qualified account when in some cases they may actually be very similar?

Thanks for you opinions

Matt

Hey Matt

Id say your qualifactions at the momment mean you could apply for them kind of postions tho.

Good luck for the future :)
  • Miss_HJ
    Miss_HJ Registered Posts: 91 Regular contributor โญ
    I have looked into this and my understanding be it right or wrong is when you apply for exemptions from the qualifiation and are awarded them you are technically then part CIMA qualified for example.

So I have registered with CIMA applied for my exemptions and once received I would look for positions of the part qualified range if i was looking for employment as I have put in the work to get these exemptions therefore it is the equivalent of sitting the exams if that makes sense
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I have looked into this and my understanding be it right or wrong is when you apply for exemptions from the qualifiation and are awarded them you are technically then part CIMA qualified for example.

So I have registered with CIMA applied for my exemptions and once received I would look for positions of the part qualified range if i was looking for employment as I have put in the work to get these exemptions therefore it is the equivalent of sitting the exams if that makes sense

Just to reiterate, CIMA would not officially recognise the term part-qualified, so you cannot be technically part qualified. It works both ways: you and your potential employer could well be using the phrase to mean very different things.

However, it is entirely appropriate to be looking at jobs which ask for CIMA/ACCA part-qualified, as long as you accept it isn't an exact specification. What constitutes part-qualified is open to interpretation and your sales pitch! I think your focus should be on the individual job role, and how suited your experience is.
  • Miss_HJ
    Miss_HJ Registered Posts: 91 Regular contributor โญ
    Just to reiterate, CIMA would not officially recognise the term part-qualified, so you cannot be technically part qualified. It works both ways: you and your potential employer could well be using the phrase to mean very different things.

However, it is entirely appropriate to be looking at jobs which ask for CIMA/ACCA part-qualified, as long as you accept it isn't an exact specification. What constitutes part-qualified is open to interpretation and your sales pitch! I think your focus should be on the individual job role, and how suited your experience is.

I agree i wouldnt call myself part qualified on a cv for exmple but I would apply for jobs that use that phrase it would also be dependant on the responsabilaties and my experience the job detailed.
  • shaunjubb
    shaunjubb Registered Posts: 25 Regular contributor โญ
    i think that "part qualified" means that you are passed the professional stage and onto the advanced stage ( with case studies) therefore if you join a firm recruiting "part qualified" accountants it would benefit you and the firm as it would provide you with the much needed work experience in order to get ICAEW status
  • C2XVT
    C2XVT Registered Posts: 62 Regular contributor โญ
    Thank you for your enquiry.

ACCA does not recognise the term 'part qualified'.
    If you have seen a number of vacancies asking for someone who is 'part qualified' I would suggest you contact the relevant company / recruitment agency directly to find out exactly what level of exams you will need to have completed before you can be considered for any positions.

Regards

Julia Jack
    ACCA Connect Advisor
    2 Central Quay
    89 Hydepark Street
    Glasgow
    G3 8BW
    United Kingdom

tel: +44 (0) 141 582 2000
    fax: +44 (0) 141 582 2222
    http://www.accaglobal.com
  • A-Vic
    Found this intersting for here

PART QUALIFIED ACCOUNTANT (LEP)Vacancy from
    Job No:
    Wage
    Hours37.5 PER WEEK, MONDAY - FRIDAY, DAYS
    Date posted16 February 2010
    Closing date02 March 2010
    Pension detailsNo details held
    Description
    This Local Employment Partnership employer shares information about new starters with Jobcentre Plus for statistical purposes only. .This Vacancy is being advertised on behalf of Sellick Partnership who is operating as an employment agency. Our Client a rapidly expanding and inquisitive manufacturing . business require a AAT qualified candidate to continue studying CIMA via the corporate training program. Ideally you will have experience and exposure to areas and subjects like treasury,bank recs, control account reconciliations, VAT, accruals, cash books and general accounting up to trail balance and beyond.

if you notice they say part qualified but then go on to say AAT qualified, so are this firm suggesting that AAT qualified are part qualified accountants ??? o and took out the contact info as may apply and dont want you lot to get heads up :lol:
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Haha go for it Vic, hopefully you get it!

Weird tho, that they call AAT qualified a part qualified accountant!
  • A-Vic
    Rinske wrote: ยป
    Haha go for it Vic, hopefully you get it!

Weird tho, that they call AAT qualified a part qualified accountant!

Well yeah thats what i thought

Am uming and arrring about the application and it closes today am not full AAT till after June exams (hopefully) however i do have 5 years experience under my belt
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    Well yeah thats what i thought

Am uming and arrring about the application and it closes today am not full AAT till after June exams (hopefully) however i do have 5 years experience under my belt
    Aww just go and get it! I'm sure they can see if you qualify then and you already got all the experience that they should hire you!
Privacy Policy