Self study

Miss Dazy
Miss Dazy Registered Posts: 34 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi, is it possible for students wishing to take exams at the techinican/diploma level to simply buy the books themselves rather than studying via distance learning?

If anyone has done this could they please say how they found it.

Thanks

Comments

• Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    It can be done, (not sure about the skilltest units) and I think it's doable, although I didn't do it myself (unfortunately as I never asked my tutor anything about PEV, CMCC or PCR).

The only benefit from a tutor so far for me is to send in some tests and get feedback, but as my mark has not been below merit plus yet, I don't really know if they are that useful.

You need to be fairly confident to do it without a tutor, but you can do a lot of research yourself as well, which helps. You can also ask questions here, which usually get answered. However, I would not suggest it if you expect to have a lot of questions.

Does that help?

Cheers,
    Rinske
  • Miss Dazy
    Miss Dazy Registered Posts: 34 Regular contributor ⭐
    Yeah it does, bascially coming to end up my current level and only had to phone twice. So can't really justify the cost of going with a training provider as they simply send books available on amazon for £10 and the tests are those out the back of the book. Also the forum offers great support.
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Miss Dazy
    I have completed Advanced Certificate and just passed DFS and BTC in the final level of AAT by just purchasing study books from Amazon and sitting the exam. To date I have always passed my exams first time (touch wood that continues...)
    I purchase Kaplan study texts and their pocket notes for each subject, which are used all the time leading up to the exams. For the units that require simulations, I purchase the individual units from Kaplan distance learning. I think you can do the same with BPP and premier training also.
    If you are self motivated and can study alone it is the cheapest option, and has worked for me so far.
    I have only PTC and MAC exams to do in June, then I'm done. I have just purchased those books via Amazon.
  • rustysufc
    rustysufc Registered Posts: 9 New contributor 🐸
    Me and my friend have both studied just by buying the books and taking the exams at our nearest centre, its worked well for us, just passed our final technician exams. however wen it comes tot he unit 10 project i think you have to do it through distance learning or register with a college.
  • donnaalwill
    donnaalwill Registered Posts: 116 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I wish I had taken that route rather than a distance learning package, I haven't needed to contact the tutor yet, I imagine I would need to purchase the MSP unit but I think I could have got by easily on everything else by just buying the textbooks. I think if you are confident, and dedicated enough to spending the time on it then its definitely a viable option.
  • CelticStar
    CelticStar Registered Posts: 142 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I have passed all my Technician exams in this way and only had to take them once. It's not for everyone, some people need a bit more support, but if you are quite motivated then it's certainly possible and saves a lot of money. I just bought the text books from wherever was cheapest - I used bookkoob to find the cheapest supplier - and then bought the tutor packs from Osborne, which they let you do if you use 'self-study'.

I also used this forum and the AAT website resources for tips and support.

I am now about to start the dreaded Unit 10 though and will be using a training provider for that.
  • Lyn32
    Lyn32 Registered Posts: 85 Regular contributor ⭐
    MAC and PTC Self sudy!

Hi Celticstar,

I have 2 units left on my technician level, I am Kaplan distance learning. I haven't order my units yet and it is expensive. I haven't really use a tutor I used a lot in the forum to ask questions, I think this is a good idea.I should buy a book from osborne and the tutor pack.

Is it possible to used kaplan college to take an exams? Even though I am not using thier resources, Kaplan is the closest.
  • CelticStar
    Hi Lyn

I think the AAT has a list of colleges/centres that allow external ('self study') students to sit their exams. I think this is the link for it: http://www.aat.org.uk/servlet/file/AAT%20UK%20List%202007.08pdf.pdf?ITEM_ENT_ID=2657&COLLSPEC_ENT_ID=187

You need to look at page 22 onwards.

Hope that helps. If you have any my questions then don't hesitate to ask. :)
  • Lyn32
    Lyn32 Registered Posts: 85 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thank you Celticstar,

That's a very helpful information well appreciated.
  • CelticStar
    You're welcome Lyn32.
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Miss Dazy

You say you don't use the tutor service that you've paid for but I see from your posts that most of them are questions that you would normally ask your tutor. Have you tried asking them first?

I've also seen that lots of your questions are taken straight from live assessment papers. Looks to me like you're working through a paper, come across something you don't know the answer to and thought you'd just ask on here. I think the AAT would take a rather dim view of that.

coojee
Privacy Policy