HMRC refund scam

bluesbreaker
bluesbreaker Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
BEWARE!!
I have received an email which indicates that it has been forwarded by HMRC relating to an autorefund.
The email requested me to apply for a refund.
Obviously I did not proceed and deleted this email.
This is a scam that has been around for some time requiring the recipient to provide his bank details!!!!
This scam may have been mentioned on these pages before,but it does no harm in reminding ourselves of its existence and passing on warnings to our clients.

Comments

• jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I received quite a few of these emails last year, haven't had one for a while but thought they would start again this time of year!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    The amount of time I have wasted with clients calling me saying, "Just wanted to check with you before I clicked and processed it...."

*sigh*
  • truecockney
    truecockney Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
    HMRC have a section of their website dedicated to phishing scams purporting to be from HMRC. You could always forward any messages to them ([email protected]) for them to deal with.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/index.htm
  • AatAbi
    AatAbi Registered Posts: 47 Regular contributor ⭐
    I have received this around 10 times..
  • lorraine
    lorraine Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Received one in my work, annoyingly!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Monsoon wrote: Β»
    The amount of time I have wasted with clients calling me saying, "Just wanted to check with you before I clicked and processed it...."

*sigh*

All they need to do is hover over the link to see thats it very dodgy!

I've had an HSBC one this morning, but the link website was definitely not them, said something about hot cougars?!
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
    I too had the same HSBC email! Though I didn't click on the links!!
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I get several scam emails every other day, Nat west, HSBC, Egg, HMRC, you name it I've had them. Had 13 to my personal email this morning!! Keep getting ones from Africa too.
Privacy Policy