Technician Level - Salary

Options
Criggers
Criggers Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi all,
I was just wondering what kind of salary an AAT Technician can be expecting to get? I was recently given a pay raise after completing AAT but needless to say it was rather pathetic.
Having looked online at several job sites (reed.co.uk among others) there seems to be a massive variation in wages from £12k right up to £25k. Now the thing that confuses me is, I could say I fit the job description for any of them! How can there be such a huge difference in the pay?

Comments

• truecockney
    truecockney Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Congratulations on your pay rise! There certainly aren't many of them about at the moment.

There are many reasons for such a huge salary difference.
    - Industry/sector
    - Experience for candidate required
    - Do they want someone to jump straight in or someone they can mould? (old hand or young blood)
    - Which area of finance they are in? (management accounts would be paid considerably more than PL or SL clerks)

I started in Accounts on £12k with just a couple of exams to resit (and salary would've been the same if I was fully qualified at the time!) and have moved up to considerably more than that now fully qualified with experience of different sectors.
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Congratulations on your pay rise! There certainly aren't many of them about at the moment.

There are many reasons for such a huge salary difference.
    - Industry/sector
    - Experience for candidate required
    - Do they want someone to jump straight in or someone they can mould? (old hand or young blood)
    - Which area of finance they are in? (management accounts would be paid considerably more than PL or SL clerks)

I started in Accounts on £12k with just a couple of exams to resit (and salary would've been the same if I was fully qualified at the time!) and have moved up to considerably more than that now fully qualified with experience of different sectors.

i would say location plays it big in this as well you wont see the same job paid where i am Hatfield or London then Stevenage or Luton for that matter

also if you are moving internally within your company it will depend on the company but most consider what is your salary at your current job and then they will offer an increase for changing roles
  • Rasa
    Rasa Registered Posts: 22 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi,

I have started after Intermediate as Acounts Assistant on £13K. After Technician I was on £16.8K - they didn't want me to go somewhere else, thats why the increase was quite big. But now I am on £18K and I am with company 3 years and doing all accounts, reporting, ISO auditing and all other things. And company pays for ACCA.
    Do you think this is normal salary? I am in Nottinghamshire.
  • slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Rasa wrote: »
    Hi,

I have started after Intermediate as Acounts Assistant on £13K. After Technician I was on £16.8K - they didn't want me to go somewhere else, thats why the increase was quite big. But now I am on £18K and I am with company 3 years and doing all accounts, reporting, ISO auditing and all other things. And company pays for ACCA.
    Do you think this is normal salary? I am in Nottinghamshire.

For nottinghamshire, for what i looked at when i considerd moving to nottingham this is pretty good, maybee room to squeeze another K in depending on how far you are with ACCA, but you have to think about the benefit and cost of your studies, for example my CIMA course this year is going to cost my company some where in the region of 6K..... (4exams). so there is no way i would be looking to go for a payrise any time soon.

Example i started in the hotel sector 8 years ago with only gsces and was on about 10.5K now that sector is a low paid sector hence when i went to my next job i was only intermediate and was bumped up to 16K so sector is a real big factor.
  • paulb
    paulb Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Have you thought about going self-employed as a MIP? I was on a salary of approx £25k in my last job, 18 months ago. This was a manager within an accountancy practice. Since taking the plunge and going self-employed, my income has increased considerably and far quicker than if I had remained in employment with 2-3% annual pay rises.
  • Stephen Jones
    Stephen Jones Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    AAT salary

I feel that some of the salaries being quoted reflect the fact the the AAT has a long way to go in obtaining the recognition it deserves.
    We a have a qualification at NVQ level 4, we do CPD to keep up tp date, we have ethics codes, etc, etc, yet in my organisation we pay secretarys & typists £25,000. No I am not putting down secretarys & typists just pointing out how far the AAT needs to go in getting it's members proper recognition
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I feel that some of the salaries being quoted reflect the fact the the AAT has a long way to go in obtaining the recognition it deserves.
    We a have a qualification at NVQ level 4, we do CPD to keep up tp date, we have ethics codes, etc, etc, yet in my organisation we pay secretarys & typists £25,000. No I am not putting down secretarys & typists just pointing out how far the AAT needs to go in getting it's members proper recognition

can i apply for a job at your place please lol
  • kel524uk
    kel524uk Registered Posts: 27 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I work in nottinghamshire and earn £20,500 and not finished aat yet

I think it depends on the company and what they think your worth
    Kelly
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    kel524uk wrote: »
    I think it depends on the company and what they think your worth
    Kelly

o gawd i hope not or i really need to find a new job
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    At least finding a new job might be easier, once you finished Technician...

I don't expect any raise from my company if I finish my AAT, neither do I expect to get more interesting work, but I kind of hope that it will make it easier to find a new job!
Privacy Policy