HMRC Coding Notice ???

A-Vic
A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Has anyone received a coding notice from HMRC i have the notice states that my PAYE code will stay at 2009/10 for 2010/11 ??? i have no other income and think this may be down to the coding fiasco at HMRC ??

Comments

• slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    i got my notice saying i was still working at my last place and i would be put on BR tax.....i left there last June with p45 in hand.......treid calling the hrmc and got no where.
  • andrewtdk
    andrewtdk Registered Posts: 150 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I dont think the personal allowances are changing this year so your coding notice will most likely be staying the same i think. Im not 100% on this but im sure someone with more knowledge will be on soon to confirm this or to correct me
  • safrica
    safrica Registered Posts: 106 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    andrewtdk wrote: »
    I dont think the personal allowances are changing this year so your coding notice will most likely be staying the same i think. Im not 100% on this but im sure someone with more knowledge will be on soon to confirm this or to correct me

Correct, the PA is not changing for 2010/11 so most people will keep the same tax code...
  • A-Vic
    o i didnt relise thanks

But the other thing is why ive received a coding notice in the first place ? am only employed not s/e dont have any other income or dividends? i was asked to file a tax return but have never completed a CWF-1 might just give them a quick call to inquire
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    A-Vic wrote: »
    o i didnt relise thanks

But the other thing is why ive received a coding notice in the first place ? am only employed not s/e dont have any other income or dividends? i was asked to file a tax return but have never completed a CWF-1 might just give them a quick call to inquire

One of the girls in my Office got a coding notice too and has never had one before. Knowing the hassle we get when trying to sort anything out with HMRC I asked if she was on the same code as last year and she said yes so I have told her just to keep it. No point in phoning them unless anything has changed cause you never get anywhere as far as I am concerned.
  • A-Vic
    jewels.p wrote: »
    One of the girls in my Office got a coding notice too and has never had one before. Knowing the hassle we get when trying to sort anything out with HMRC I asked if she was on the same code as last year and she said yes so I have told her just to keep it. No point in phoning them unless anything has changed cause you never get anywhere as far as I am concerned.

yeah think your right gonna leave it for now like everyone says the tax codes correct cheers
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I've just run payroll year end and 1st payroll for 2010-2011.

A couple of things have sprung up;

1. Basic PAYE code has remained the same 6475 - I haven't altered any of our employees tax codes; although I fully expect that this might change after the election (I'm cynical like that!)

2. The tax office who deal with coding notices have changed computer systems and there are some gremlins: one of which appears to be a job change problem. If a person has changed job it seems to recognise both employers and is giving the 6475 basic rate to the previous job and not allocating it to the current job, so the person is at risk of having no personal allowance in their current employment, although they have received a P45 from their last job (even if it wasn't in the current tax year). This is clearly wrong.

IMO PAYE Coding Notices can't currently be trusted and need to be checked carefully.

Anna
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • A-Vic
    anniem wrote: »
    I've just run payroll year end and 1st payroll for 2010-2011.

A couple of things have sprung up;

1. Basic PAYE code has remained the same 6475 - I haven't altered any of our employees tax codes; although I fully expect that this might change after the election (I'm cynical like that!)

2. The tax office who deal with coding notices have changed computer systems and there are some gremlins: one of which appears to be a job change problem. If a person has changed job it seems to recognise both employers and is giving the 6475 basic rate to the previous job and not allocating it to the current job, so the person is at risk of having no personal allowance in their current employment, although they have received a P45 from their last job (even if it wasn't in the current tax year). This is clearly wrong.

IMO PAYE Coding Notices can't currently be trusted and need to be checked carefully.

Anna

Ran this past my manager and she said someone she knows who is on a basic wage (less than deductions of £100) no other employment or income has received a coding notice for BR poor guy will end up with nothing
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    A-Vic wrote: »
    Ran this past my manager and she said someone she knows who is on a basic wage (less than deductions of £100) no other employment or income has received a coding notice for BR poor guy will end up with nothing

That's a bit crappy for him. It really makes you want to buck the system when stuff like that happens - they're quick enough to take it away, but if you lose your job and need benefits you don't get it back so easily.
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    anniem wrote: »

Anna

Ah... that explains it!! That makes sense with what we've been seeing. I knew their computer system was being ignorant, but it's nice to know there's a sort if logic to it. :lol:

EVERYONE needs to check their tax code and query it if it's changed, HMRC ought to run adverts saying "check your tax code" given how many errors there have been.

Anyone who runs payroll who receives an odd coding notice for an employee should bring it to the employees attention and get them to check with HMRC if it seems odd.

It's a complete fiasco.
Privacy Policy