Male v Female

sammyd22
sammyd22 Registered Posts: 207 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
According to Cima salary Surveys, Mens Salaries are more than Womens Salaries. The average salary for a male is quite a bit more than a female and im wondering why?

We all do the same job so why?

Is it because more Male Accountants are in top positions?

Also i heard on the Radio last week that Gordon Brown is looking to put pressure on Companies because there isnt 1 female director in our top 100 Companies.. Why?

We have a board of 5 Directors and 1 is actually a female.

Comments

• Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    We got 4 directors and it's spread out nicely between 2 males and 2 females.

I read some research on this and it was explained there that basically this is an average salary and often when there are kids involved women will work part time, therefore settle with a lower paid job, as most management jobs are full time. The main difference is time taken off for kids, which puts a gap in the working period.

However for a lot of jobs where there is a man and woman in the same position, with the same experience of the same age, the difference isn't that big.

Apparently most companies are still slightly wary of taking on women on high levels, because they might leave for maternity leave, ask to work part time or even have feelings about things discussed.

However, I can't find the link to the research and I don't remember what it was based on, so not sure how reliable it all is.

Gordon Brown can jump high and low that tey need to get more women in the management top, but in the end it is the company who decides which applicant gets the job and there is nothing he can do about it, unless he got enough shares to influence the companies decisions.

Just my two cents tho, I don't think men or women are better in being a manager. In the past I've had great male managers and crap female managers and the other way around, so I still think it's a matter of personal skills and not a battle between the sexes.
  • sammyd22
    Rinske wrote: Β»
    We got 4 directors and it's spread out nicely between 2 males and 2 females.

I read some research on this and it was explained there that basically this is an average salary and often when there are kids involved women will work part time, therefore settle with a lower paid job, as most management jobs are full time. The main difference is time taken off for kids, which puts a gap in the working period.

However for a lot of jobs where there is a man and woman in the same position, with the same experience of the same age, the difference isn't that big.

Apparently most companies are still slightly wary of taking on women on high levels, because they might leave for maternity leave, ask to work part time or even have feelings about things discussed.

However, I can't find the link to the research and I don't remember what it was based on, so not sure how reliable it all is.

Gordon Brown can jump high and low that tey need to get more women in the management top, but in the end it is the company who decides which applicant gets the job and there is nothing he can do about it, unless he got enough shares to influence the companies decisions.

Just my two cents tho, I don't think men or women are better in being a manager. In the past I've had great male managers and crap female managers and the other way around, so I still think it's a matter of personal skills and not a battle between the sexes.

Your point about maternity etc in particular makes alot of sense.
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    Scenario

I have been working as a Permanent Finance Analyst for three years and i am studying AAT and have two bachelors degree. i have also the Finance for non finance managers certificate. I am female
    Another guy has been working as Finance Analyst as Contrator for two years. He only has GSCE's from School. He is male

Our finance manager left the company on Thursday

meeting with the guy and ex-finance-manager happened on friday ...

Guy has been given the post straight away

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • sammyd22
    Marga wrote: Β»
    Scenario

I have been working as a Permanent Finance Analyst for three years and i am studying AAT and have two bachelors degree. i have also the Finance for non finance managers certificate. I am female
    Another guy has been working as Finance Analyst as Contrator for two years. He only has GSCE's from School. He is male

Our finance manager left the company on Thursday

meeting with the guy and ex-finance-manager happened on friday ...

Guy has been given the post straight away

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Did you raise this at work?

Or did you ask to be considered? or did they just go ahead and do it without making the post available?
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    sammyd22 wrote: Β»
    Did you raise this at work?

Or did you ask to be considered? or did they just go ahead and do it without making the post available?

they didnt make the post available

it is not the first time it happens

not long ago it happened to a friend as well

female had to apply for the job, interviews and all salary negotiation blah blah blah she had background and experience
    male got the job straight away no interviews, salary was given what he wanted he didnt have experience etc etc

i know it is disgusting
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Marga wrote: Β»

female had to apply for the job, interviews and all salary negotiation blah blah blah she had background and experience
    male got the job straight away no interviews, salary was given what he wanted he didnt have experience etc etc

Show bad governance of the company. To allow recruiting to take place like that.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Tricky subject and a male offering opinions on this can sadly be viewed by some as 'sexist' (yeah, whatever). If two people, a male and a female are both taken on at the same time with equal qualifications but similar or no experience, then yes, they should be paid the same wage. However, common sense and ability will dictate that they won't progress at the same rate so how would you judge the two following situations?

Before the age of 30, the female has two spells of maternity spending three years out of the workforce while the man stays within the company for the full ten years. Would it be fair to pay him the same wage as the female since his experience will now be around a third greater? Of course, this can work both ways with the male choosing to stay at home.

Both work solidly for ten years, no maternity leave, yet the female has developed greater abilities in her role while the man, although competent, takes longer and is often less 'able'. Should he still be paid the same as the female or the females wages held back to match her lesser colleague?

Why is so much UK manufacturing now being taken abroad? Could one of the reasons be that we've become simply too obstructed by 'nicety' laws through well intentioned but often ill advised government intervention and foreign (ie cheaper) countries don't have much of the politically correct bullshit we now have to suffer over here?
Privacy Policy