PS3 vs Blu Ray player

PGM
PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
This is my Friday dilema, Blu Ray player is about 120, and PS3 about 270. Is it worth paying more for a games machine, which I probably wouldn't use a lot, but it also plays blu ray, it has wifi and is becoming more of an entertainment system than just a games a machine.

Comments

• sammyd22
    sammyd22 Registered Posts: 207 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    PGM wrote: »
    This is my Friday dilema, Blu Ray player is about 120, and PS3 about 270. Is it worth paying more for a games machine, which I probably wouldn't use a lot, but it also plays blu ray, it has wifi and is becoming more of an entertainment system than just a games a machine.

PS3 is quality! Im always on Fifa 10! It has everything from Blue-Ray, WIFI like you say and you can also stream your Photos, Video Clips and Movies from your Windows Media Player through your PS3 and watch them on your big screen!

Not a bad dilemma!

PS3 all day for me!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    commodor 64 for me just love that stick tennis
  • sammyd22
    A-Vic wrote: »
    commodor 64 for me just love that stick tennis

Yeah! and sensible Soccer!
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    think ahead...are you going to be thinking in the future ...gosh i could have spent the £150 difference in something else that i needed or wanted if the answer is yes then buy the blu ray

are you able to see what is the usage in the future of a PS3 aside games and blu ray that you ACTUALLY really going to use?

i am thinking that as all the games consoles soon the PS3 will be replace by something else

sometimes we buy things that just because it looks as more techology and then really we never use it

PS i am not into all that stuff but what is better a PS3 or xbox360?
  • sammyd22
    Marga wrote: »
    think ahead...are you going to be thinking in the future ...gosh i could have spent the £150 difference in something else that i needed or wanted if the answer is yes then buy the blu ray

are you able to see what is the usage in the future of a PS3 aside games and blu ray that you ACTUALLY really going to use?

i am thinking that as all the games consoles soon the PS3 will be replace by something else

sometimes we buy things that just because it looks as more techology and then really we never use it

Ive got both so from a neutral point i would say PS3 as i think the game play is better on a playstation. It also has Blu-Ray which xbox doesnt and you can play online for free where as xbox live charges and lets not forget the PS3 has wireless functions and Xbox doesnt.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️

"PS3 fanboys" will tell you their machine is better. From a technical point of view yes but consoles are entirely about the games available and the PS3 still has barely any exclusive must-have games three years after it's release. MG4 okay, Resistence easily outdone by Gears of War and most its other games are cross platform anyway. Alternatively, both X-Box and Wii have many "killer" exclusives. You only need to go to Game or Gamestation to see that the range of titles available for PS3 barely changes while over on the 360 and Wii racks there are always a multitude of new games available, pretty much solid evidence that many developers aren't interested/investing exclusively for the Sony.

Bad news all around for Sony, especially considering Argos are not even carrying the also high priced PSP-Go in their current catalogue despite it being their new handheld and Gameboy 'equivalent'. Sony have lost this generation of console wars by over-specifying (thus overpricing) their machines by delivering things the mass gaming public didn't really need or certainly not at the price levels they're pitched at.

As for Blu-Ray, stores near me are noticably starting to heavily reduce these discs which I'm not convinced isn't a sign the technology is starting to stall, especially seeing as new DVD's are now so cheap. The leap between Blu Ray and DVD isn't as great as that between VHS and DVD and many simply aren't interested in throwing away their DVD machines just for a slight upgrade which will cost more in both discs and hardware.
  • sammyd22
    blobbyh wrote: »
    "PS3 fanboys" will tell you their machine is better. From a technical point of view yes but consoles are entirely about the games available and the PS3 still has barely any exclusive must-have games three years after it's release. MG4 okay, Resistence easily outdone by Gears of War and most its other games are cross platform anyway. Alternatively, both X-Box and Wii have many "killer" exclusives. You only need to go to Game or Gamestation to see that the range of titles available for PS3 barely changes while over on the 360 and Wii racks there are always a multitude of new games available, pretty much solid evidence that many developers aren't interested/investing exclusively for the Sony.

Bad news all around for Sony, especially considering Argos are not even carrying the also high priced PSP-Go in their current catalogue despite it being their new handheld and Gameboy 'equivalent'. Sony have lost this generation of console wars by over-specifying (thus overpricing) their machines by delivering things the mass gaming public didn't really need or certainly not at the price levels they're pitched at.

As for Blu-Ray, stores near me are noticably starting to heavily reduce these discs which I'm not convinced isn't a sign the technology is starting to stall, especially seeing as new DVD's are now so cheap. The leap between Blu Ray and DVD isn't as great as that between VHS and DVD and many simply aren't interested in throwing away their DVD machines just for a slight upgrade which will cost more in both discs and hardware.

take it youve an xbox then? lol
  • Marga
    from a male point of view which one would make you happier/ would you prefer if your wife would buy it for your bday?
  • sammyd22
    from a male point of view which one would make you happier/ would you prefer if your wife would buy it for your bday?

PS3 for me! purely for football games ang GTA, Tennis etc!
  • PGM

Overall I'd go for the PS3, but like Blobby says it does have issues, and as a games machine only the Xbox probably beats it slightly. But PS3 also plays Blu Ray discs and comes with built in wifi, so overall it'd be my choice.
  • PGM
    blobbyh wrote: »

I've noticed blu ray is getting cheaper as well, a lot of budget films appearing and the gap between it and DVD reducing.

I have a "love film" subscription so we get films sent from there, and we can switch that over to a blu ray subsciption. They might not be a massive improvement over DVD, but they look pretty on a big screen :)
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    sammyd22 wrote: »
    take it youve an xbox then? lol

Yes I do, but as I said the lack of new titles for the PS3 is not just a matter of opinion, it visibly has the smallest section and less foot traffic of all the major consoles. Even the very ancient Gameboy still gets more rackspace. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Sony and had a PS1 and 2 but they really lost ground (and the plot) with the PS3 while Nintendo have spectacularly gone from third to first in the sales stakes by giving the market what it really wanted rather than Sony thinking they knew what it did and miscalculating. The PSP-Go though is a spectacular failure - a £250 high-tech Gameboy for kids?

As for the Blu-Ray, yep titles are getting cheaper - and they need to - but I'm not sure if this is a sign of costs naturally getting cheaper as the technology becomes more popular or whether it's smaller retailers starting to get hesitant over the rackspace given to a still largely niche market and downscaling/reducing their stocks (and investment).
  • Luflux
    Luflux Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
    I had the same problem as PGM as my DVD is about 9yo and now cant read many discs from lovefilm. Ps3 plays blueray and upscales DVD quite well from what i hear so have decided to get a ps3 rather than a dvd player. This way i can also turn it into a media hub for the front room.

Found this site the best in comparison between Xbox and PS3:

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-348-1.htm

They look into the xbox and ps3 dilemma year on year (just click on link at top of review to go to next year) For the 1st two years xbox was teh winner but last year they admitted that the Ps3 had now moved into the top spot.
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    There's a pretty well-rated blu-ray player on Hotukdeals today @ £90 from ASDA.
  • PGM

This is probably what is comes down to, its what many things in life come down to.

What would be handy, is a good policy for managing personal finances!

How much of your wage should you save, or spend on luxuries you don't really need?
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    PGM wrote: »
    This is probably what is comes down to, its what many things in life come down to.

What would be handy, is a good policy for managing personal finances!

How much of your wage should you save, or spend on luxuries you don't really need?

Have you managed to make a decision based on the helpful advice here?

Gosh what a service we provide ..... healing advice, buying advice, employment advice, study advice ..... is there no limit?????

Perhaps we should all be shareholders of the forum and claim a dividend!
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Marga
    anniem wrote: »

Gosh what a service we provide ..... healing advice, buying advice, employment advice, study advice ..... is there no limit?????

Policy about personal finances

DO NOT BUY IT IF SOMEONE ELSE CAN PAY FOR IT......
  • PGM
    anniem wrote: »

I got the PS3 in the end, its a good alround toy! Good for music and films so not just a games machine.

Still hurt my bank account...
Privacy Policy