diet

Primble
Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
hey

bit random for accountancy forum but it's my colleagues wedding in 3months and after sitting at a desk all day everyday i've podged out a bit. need to loose some weight so can pull off a dress that makes me feel confident. have any of you tried a diet and how did it go?

Comments

• anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    OK ... we've just about covered everything now!

Primble,

I'm on the smaller plate diet at the moment and it's working really well most days.

I bought a couple of plates that I really liked which were much smaller than the ones we usually use, instead of piling food onto a big plate and eating it all I just pile my meals onto a small plate and eat half as much.

There is no additional cost (other than choosing some nice plates to make it a little bit special), you don't need to weigh anything, buy extraordinary ingredients, cook different things for different family members or even buy a diet recipe book. It's totally idiot proof.

Nothing to lose by trying, other than some weight. I've lost a stone so far.

The hardest part is not eating the things I buy to go in small peeps lunch boxes, and the 'home from work hungry binge'!!! Hopefully I'm not the only one who does that otherwise I've really put myself to shame :blush:

Anna x
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • loralu
    loralu Registered Posts: 64 Regular contributor โญ
    i do slimming world and think its great, don't feel like i'm on a diet because you can have some chocolate or a glass of wine without feeling bad!
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    As i am new to the office environment i was a victim of the expanding waist line syndrome!

A few little tips:

Not eating after 8-8.30pm

Try to vary the items on your plate...not too many carbohydrates
    For lunch in work try them Heinz Big Soups

If you have access to a treadmill, dont worry about running, try putting the gradient (angle) of the machine up high and try some walking uphill...this really helped with my waist line.

When eating, try to feel when your full. Dont eat past this, where you start getting uncomfortable.

Whatever you eat, throw half away (or like anniem said buy smaller plates) LoL !!!!

GOOD LUCK
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Cook more of your own meals, healthier when you can choose what you put in, and have less snacks around the house, was the main problem for me!

And do more exercise, getting an ipod will help with walking or jogging.

And if you can get to a gym, a routine with weights in it, will help!
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    The old eating like a king for breakfast, prince for lunch and pauper for dinner has worked for me. No eating after 8pm and try to avoid carbs after 7pm. Drinking water throughout the day and allowing myself 1 snack between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner.

I'm dieting for my own wedding!

Has anyone done the special K kickstart diet? The 2 bowls of cereal a day one? I tried it ages ago and just found I was starving all the time but if it works I'll try it again.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I don't like the word "diet". I prefer to say I'm choosing to eat more healthily. ;-) It's better psychologically for me

The best way I lost weight was severe stress. However, I don't recommend it :lol:

The other best way I lost weight was unintentional - I cut out wheat from my diet as well as sugar, at the same time as increasing my exercise. I dropped a stone in a matter of months.

I don't bother about my fat intake - sugar and wheat are what do it for me.

Whatever you choose, good luck!
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    i lost two stone for my wedding

i changed my habbits completely and did exercise

I would suggest Aerobics (i have a Jane Fonda dvd and it works out your whole body) but i did alternate this with cycling and running and some swimming

I also ate two pieces of fruit every other day instead of a proper meal for dinner and the days i didnt eat fruit i had salad for lunch.

Try to eat loads of fish , salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring , plaice, sole all steamed or baked in the oven with olive oil and lemon (very good to clean toxins in your body)

Drink 1.5litres of water at least a day, if possible set a goal in your office environment : i am sure you have vending machines , go to get one glass of water every hour (9am, 10am, etc) if you work 8 hours a day that means you're drinking nearly 2L of water without realising and also getting up from your chair to get the water.

KEEP COMING TO THE FORUMS for motivation and support :)
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    many years ago i chose to change all of my sugars for sweeteners and diet coke etc. i found that this made me hungry because of the asparteme in these things. so recently i have chose to swap back and i have not gained any further weight, but i am not as hungry - it is really bizarre as i wake up with a zing rather than a sludge, if that makes sense, i think the artificial sugars were slowing me down.

i attended slimming world for a while to get the motivation started and it does work, it is common sense, cut down on dairy, increase fruits and vegetables and water. they also do not say diet, they say healthy eating and mentally i do think this works wonders, because as soon as i say the work diet, i am hungry and i feel like i am doing without.

i make sure my fruit bowl is stacked high for those study munchies and i also buy the bags of mixed nuts and fruit - yum.

you might think i am a health freak and a waif from reading this, but i am a "healthy" 12 and a half stone. i enjoy walking with my kids and i can ski from the top of a mountain to the bottom without getting out of breath and that is about all i do.

I think positive thinking helps too

(sorry for the big post)

Tracy
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I think anyone taking Aspertame (sp?) should just cut it out completely as a first step, as the stuff is so unhealthy and makes you hungry.

It also is very unhealthy and is linked to a lot of diseases, but as far as I know, only indirect so far, because the food industry makes too much money with it.
  • Primble
    thanks guys. lots of help. am going to have salads for lunches at work rather than sanwiches to cut down on some wheat (also mum is wheat intollerant so i know that works after she went down 2 dress sizes) am also going to try the water every hour and keep the snacks in the house to a minimum although i don't snack much anyway.

i seem to get my hungriest at work so will find a good replacement. I like the fish idea too.
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    hey is it possible for you to bring fruit or veggies to work?

I do snack in the mornings at 10am either a piece of fruit or carrots!
  • Primble
    Yeah it is. am going to have a big shopping spree over the weekend to stock up on veggies etc
  • sunshine2010
    sunshine2010 Registered Posts: 45 Regular contributor โญ
    The old eating like a king for breakfast, prince for lunch and pauper for dinner has worked for me. No eating after 8pm and try to avoid carbs after 7pm. Drinking water throughout the day and allowing myself 1 snack between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner.

I'm dieting for my own wedding!

Has anyone done the special K kickstart diet? The 2 bowls of cereal a day one? I tried it ages ago and just found I was starving all the time but if it works I'll try it again.

I did the special k kickstart and i stuck to it really well and after all that starving didnt lose that much weight at all.
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I've just finished a Mars Bar Cake so no diet for me!
  • Rinske
    You could try a mars bar cake diet, but I don't think it will help you loose weight... :lol:
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Rinske wrote: ยป
    You could try a mars bar cake diet, but I don't think it will help you loose weight... :lol:

If I eat two a day I will only have eaten 1000 calories and that is less than the 1200 calories a day you are meant to eat when on a diet so you never know it might work! lol
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I wonder if you could lose weight on a donut and slimfast diet? Anyone tried??? (or should I do a case study?
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Primble
    If I eat two a day I will only have eaten 1000 calories and that is less than the 1200 calories a day you are meant to eat when on a diet so you never know it might work! lol

i like it! where can i get such a thing?
  • Rinske
    If it does work, you should write a book about it, why it is so great and that should make you some money! :lol:

Same goes for Anniem's suggestion really, so you both could be potentially inventing a new diet that is going to make you rich!
Privacy Policy