What next?????

timwright116
timwright116 Registered Posts: 9 New contributor 🐸
I'm aiming to become a full AAT Member in the next year and a half, I'm trying to decide what qualification to carry on afterwards... I currently work for a service company so I know CIMA would be the most useful to me at the moment, and I know if I choose to, I could have a good career with this employer if I continued to gain further qualifications.. But unless I acheive the career goals I'm after I don't want to be stuck at the same place for the next 5-7 years while I study. If I was to leave here I would really like to work for google, (analyst or management accountant or similar).... But also I would like to eventually be my own boss. The best qualification to go self employed I think would be ICAEW. Would it be best to start studies for this straight after AAT or go toward CIMA first, then ICAEW after?

Sorry for the long winded question...

Tim

Comments

• sammyd22
    sammyd22 Registered Posts: 207 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I'm aiming to become a full AAT Member in the next year and a half, I'm trying to decide what qualification to carry on afterwards... I currently work for a service company so I know CIMA would be the most useful to me at the moment, and I know if I choose to, I could have a good career with this employer if I continued to gain further qualifications.. But unless I acheive the career goals I'm after I don't want to be stuck at the same place for the next 5-7 years while I study. If I was to leave here I would really like to work for google, (analyst or management accountant or similar).... But also I would like to eventually be my own boss. The best qualification to go self employed I think would be ICAEW. Would it be best to start studies for this straight after AAT or go toward CIMA first, then ICAEW after?

Sorry for the long winded question...

Tim

Im doing CIMA as as i dont ever see myself as moving out of the industry and i see this as more relevant for me.

Have you considered ACCA, this may suit you better especially if you decide to go into Public Practice etc. If you work in the industry or work for your self this seems to be great for both.
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    But unless I acheive the career goals I'm after I don't want to be stuck at the same place for the next 5-7 years while I study.

Five to seven years? Are you including time to complete the AAT? You could do CIMA in around another three years without pushing yourself excessively. (1st exam sitting two Operations level exams, 2nd sitting the last Operational and one Management, 3rd sitting the other two Management, 4th sitting all three Strategic, 5th sitting TOPCIMA)

Also, I'm currently doing CIMA without employer support, so I'm not tied to the company when (if?) a better opportunity comes along.
    If I was to leave here I would really like to work for google, (analyst or management accountant or similar).... But also I would like to eventually be my own boss. The best qualification to go self employed I think would be ICAEW.Would it be best to start studies for this straight after AAT or go toward CIMA first, then ICAEW after?

There's no reason you can't be a self-employed CIMA member. There's almost nothing you can't do that an ICAEW member could. It's also possible to gain ICAEW membership through a special arrangement for full members of other professional accountancy bodies. Pathways to Membership scheme.
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    I agree with Bookworms suggestion, simply because of the way CIMA folks come across - relaxed & in complete control. I imagine the combination of CIMA & ACA must be great.
  • BCASL
    BCASL Registered Posts: 64 Regular contributor ⭐
    You could of course save a lot of time and effort and join the AAT's Members in Practice Scheme. It is very flexible and allows you to build up your business gradually, perhaps alongside your current employment, with a view to eventually going it alone and being your own boss full time!
    I did this 10 years ago and have never looked back, I now have a high street office with aat qualified staff. The only thing we can't do is an audit!
    Good luck for the future
  • timwright116
    timwright116 Registered Posts: 9 New contributor 🐸
    Bookworm55 wrote: »
    Five to seven years? Are you including time to complete the AAT? You could do CIMA in around another three years without pushing yourself excessively. (1st exam sitting two Operations level exams, 2nd sitting the last Operational and one Management, 3rd sitting the other two Management, 4th sitting all three Strategic, 5th sitting TOPCIMA)

Also, I'm currently doing CIMA without employer support, so I'm not tied to the company when (if?) a better opportunity comes along.

There's no reason you can't be a self-employed CIMA member. There's almost nothing you can't do that an ICAEW member could. It's also possible to gain ICAEW membership through a special arrangement for full members of other professional accountancy bodies. Pathways to Membership scheme.
    Hi Bookworm, the time includes finishing AAT, and all my studies I wan't to do via distance learning because I find it easier and more flexible for me. I do hope to complete everything in a shorter time scale than 5-7 really, I've been a bit to relaxed with my studies so far because I haven't really found them challenging at all.

I think I'm deffinatly considering to just go for CIMA after AAT, main reason being I really don't think after the next 4-5 years of studying I'm going want to start studying a whole new qualification. Thanks for the advice
Privacy Policy