Calculating Tax Due

slackda
slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor 🦉
hi guys,

As i switched jobs this year and was on Job seekers for a while, i have had two different tax codes. now would i be correct in assuming that whilst i was employment on 653L, i can pro rata it for the time i was empoyed there. i.e 6535/12 *2 to give my tax free allowance whilst on that tax code and then for the other 10 months of the year do the same with my new tax code 6475/12*10? why i lost my £60 difference i have know i idea.....tax office didn't know either...

Ty

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Surely it went old job P45 -> JSA P45 -> new job? The tax code should have carried through.

What was the extra £60 in your first tax code for? Sounds like it could be related to job expenses therefore might only be applicable to the old job.

I don't know about pro-rating it.

At the end of the financial year, run a tax comp for yourself to check everything's been deducted ok. Odd that the tax office don't know about the £60 (well, kinda, we know how efficient they are :lol:)
  • slackda
    Yeah, would have all details i didn't check my p45 when i got it from the JSA...they put me on a week 1 month 1 basis....and i know i gave them my old p45 :D

think the £60 may have come from one year where i paid for my AAT membership.....
  • Nilesh Mandvia
    Nilesh Mandvia Registered Posts: 91 Regular contributor ⭐
    Flat Rate Expenses

Some companies/empoyers have an agreement to add £60 to the tax code of employee being flat rate expenses for cleaning the uniform.

So likley £60 was added to your tax code becuase of your previous job where you were provided uniform.
  • slackda
    yeah...but never had a uniform......only ever worked in accounts...
  • Monsoon
    slackda wrote: »
    yeah...but never had a uniform......only ever worked in accounts...

Grey suit? :lol:
  • slackda
    lol.....nah tweed jackets all the way (with leather elbows) no seriously....Black Asda £15 special :D...lol

Didn't have to wear one untill this my most recent job when i realised i had out grown the "interveiw Suit"
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    slackda wrote: »
    lol.....nah tweed jackets all the way (with leather elbows) no seriously....Black Asda £15 special :D...lol

Didn't have to wear one untill this my most recent job when i realised i had out grown the "interveiw Suit"
    Ouch!

I need to decide what to wear to my interview, tempted to order a new suit from Littlewoods, as they at least sell my size, but usually everything is too short or too wide! Do you think I could put that down as interview expenses?
  • Monsoon
    Rinske wrote: »
    interview expenses?

Now there's an expense category I've not heard of before! :laugh:
Privacy Policy