Website thoughts

burg
burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
Ok guys,

I have recently changed my website as it was in flash and although looked ok was quite slow and wasn't as search engine friendly.

The site is now live and a few problems are being ironed out.

Can you guys let me know what you think.

Constructive criticism welcomed!

Its www.mbsaccountants.co.uk
Regards,

Burg

Comments

• Anne Boleyn
    Anne Boleyn Registered Posts: 196 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    New website

Hi Ian

You should have a PM from me.

Regards
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Can I make a few small comments? And this is not to be picky or to be offensive, but just suggestions for improvement and I hope you take it that way.

I opened the site and the first thing I noticed it that it doesn't seem to fit in the size you made it. So now when I look at it, the text on the right is shown on the right, but the text in the middle is only placed underneath it. So you got a whole lot of blank space, which you got to scroll down to find the actual texts. I'm not sure if that is because windows explorer is just crap or that it would be the same in every browser, but as I am stuck with this browser at work, I can't check until I get home tonight.

In the payments section you made a spelling error. You mention "cashlow problems", I would turn that into cashflow!

In the Limited Companies section you forgot a space. You got "lost.MBS" in the second paragraph.

I really hope this helps. I do like the look and feel of the website overall, it has a very clear overview and all the links I tried work. It loads quick and I love the fact there is no flash involved!

Cheers,
    Rinske
  • burg
    Rinske,

Thanks for the comments. Really helpful.

Didn't quite get the first problem with reading of the texts.

I have tried IE, Chrome, Firefox and Safari on 2/3 computers and it seemed fine. Would you be able to capture the screen image and email it to me?

As for the others I will get these sorted.

Thanks Ian
    Regards,

Burg
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    The page renders fine for me (Firefox).

The only bit that stands out to me as needing to think about changing is the red box requesting a callback. It immediately put my in mind of a red warning letter about overdue payment. I don't know much about colour psychology but I think red is dissuasive not persuasive. Blue might complement your colour scheme better?
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Emailed you the screenshots to the address on your site. I do wonder if it's just some stupid settings at work now, as noone else had it, so feel free to ignore it, if I am the only person who has that issue!
  • burg
    Don't know to be fair.

I shall look into it and also see of others get the problem.

Thanks

Also thanks Jenni. I really hadn't thought of it like that. I certainly do now! A blue is on its way.

Cheers
    Regards,

Burg
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    There's been an article recently on accountingweb on the mistakes that accountants make with their websites which is definitely worth a read.
  • burg
    thanks Annette

I will do a search
    Regards,

Burg
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Post a link if you find it - sounds interesting - my new site should be going live next week..
  • burg
  • burg
    sorry slackda,

You beat me to it!
    Regards,

Burg
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Great - thanks. I think the comments below are just as useful (if not more so) than the article.

For any avid Aweb readers it is interesting that Bob Harper is trying a new friendly friendly approach in his postings now that his business has gone belly up!
  • burg
    I did think the comments were of better use although the article itself is still helpful.

Had noticed Bob was not his normal self!

Missed the fact that all had gone wrong for him business wise!
    Regards,

Burg
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    burg wrote: ยป
    I did think the comments were of better use although the article itself is still helpful.

Had noticed Bob was not his normal self!

Missed the fact that all had gone wrong for him business wise!

So had I!

He's still saying that accountants have it all wrong with their pricing strategy!!
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hi

I like the website, but would probably have gone for a more contemporary type face for the "MBS Accountants" logo/header.

Also thought I'd say I live "just down the road" (virtually) from you! :-D

Neil
  • burg
    Have pm'd you.

The logo is still being worked on as the typeface I currently use isn't working in all browsers yet.
    NeilH wrote: ยป
    Hi

I like the website, but would probably have gone for a more contemporary type face for the "MBS Accountants" logo/header.

Also thought I'd say I live "just down the road" (virtually) from you! :-D

Neil
    Regards,

Burg
Privacy Policy