Corporation Tax Query

Options
moozy7
moozy7 Registered Posts: 33 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi

I'm qualified end 2008 and have years of book-keeping experience. I'm building my confidence and am taking the plunge to do a few voluntary jobs for people,that know me.

I have a client who has developed a board game. I thought he was sole trader but turns out that he is a Ltd Co.

He wants me to do some costings for him including an estimate of corporation tax that will become payable so that he can include it in the price.

He has heard that he can pay the CT per unit sold.

I've not heard of this and cannot find anything in my studies / HMRC website etc - anyone heard of this and if so where can I go for more information please?

Thanks

Moozy

Comments

• sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    moozy7 wrote: »

.....wants me to do some costings for him including an estimate of corporation tax that will become payable so that he can include it in the price.

He has heard that he can pay the CT per unit sold.

Corporation tax is NOT an expense that you can build into costing a product.

Corporation Tax is a share of profit that has been legalised by the government of the state. Currently their share of profit (Corportation Tax) is 20% of the Net Profit.

What you could do is work out the Net Profit per unit and then work out what percentage of the selling price will represent Corporation tax. ie- (profit times 20%) divide it by selleing price per unit times 100.

I would recommend that you use a target costing if you know what are your clients net profit (excluding corporation tax) expectations are.

I have not read or head of CT paid per Unit, but the above suggested calculations should work out CT payable per unit.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Is corporation tax not 21% ATM? Or did it change at the budget?
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    It's 21%.
  • moozy7
    moozy7 Registered Posts: 33 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thank you so much.

Sometimes its reasssuring to know that I'm not going mad!

Like the target costing idea.

Moozy
Privacy Policy