Newbie...

klbrock
klbrock Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
OK, not studying yet, but a conversation with a family member got the fires burning a few weeks back (having started an AAT when I was about 18 (I'm now 33) and jacking it in due to personal things).

Anyway. I've been looking at doing the AAT at my local college but, they only start next year (perhaps January if/when they publish a prospectus) but it appears to be NVQ based only (from what I can gather there's the NVQ and Diploma route - both with the same outcome). For this, do I actually need to be in a finance type role?

I have additionally been looking at distance learning, through Kaplan having seen some references on here ... recommended?

For reference, I do have some finance duties involved in my current role, but that is mainly checking of bank accounts/transactions per procedures (I work for a local authority) as I hold appointeeships, so it's almost a mini-audit before the big bad wolves come and rip my (good) work to shreds... Would this be of any benefit in terms of experience?

Anyway, looks really friendly here, even if some of the terms used seem a bit bewildering, but I imagine that's only to be expected so will have to keep popping back.

Oh, and hi!

Comments

• Maby1987
    Maby1987 Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
    Hey, i'm a newbie too.
    Just started foundation level distance learning with Kaplan. They are really well organised, easy to undertsand and have really good pass rates (which was the selling point for me)!
    I am in an accounts based role atm too but not doing enough to have the experience to provide the portfolio needed for NVQ pathway so i've gone diploma. Plus this way u don't need to rely on work based evidence if you leave or anyhthing like that. If you're not sure you can do a skills check with AAT...
  • sabrina1978
    sabrina1978 Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    RE: newbie

hi there

i am also doin the NVQ AAT course. u do not have to be working in a financial position of any kind to gain this, ur coursework, skills tests and exams are suffice. i am unemployed and copin quite well. so fingers crossed!!

sabrina
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hi and welcome

1 thing you might have to bear in mind is that i have been told there are changes next year and the two routes are being combined into one.

Good luck with any future studies :)
  • klbrock
    klbrock Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Thanks for the responses so far.

Maby - I'm looking more and more at Kaplan so thanks for the ringing endorsement there, I will give it some further consideration and maybe give them a call.

A-Vic, so what would this mean? Would I need any kind of work based experience or would it not necessarily matter (I accept this may not have all been finalised as yet).
  • Cutecute
    Cutecute Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
    Hi everyone,
    I am a new member and jz signed on with Kaplan distance Learning for Unit30 today, Paid Β£151 including postage. Cant go to college it is too expensive for me and I would like to get partime job to earn some side income.
    I hav been studied some book: frank wood 1 and Osborne Introductory Accounting since early of March, about 3-6hours every day... but I still dont have confidence to do it on my own without learning provider,that's why I signed on with Kaplan hope could have a tutor with me. Spoke with Kaplan today and they said all material should be arrive this week or early next week.

I will still keep study my own book before kaplan material arrive.
    today, I wish to say hello to everyone, hope could know some member (who just start their AAT level 2) thru this forum. I am a bit nervers and dont know where to start to be accountant. I am 27, and havent been working since 4-5yrs after married.
    I wish to be independent in future without too rely on my hubby.

could anyone give me some idea what else I need to learn to get a job as a assistance/junior accountant.

I am not a confidence person, I thinking to start AAT now, after complete my unit 30, will continue to do next unit to complete my AAT level 2, at the same time I would like to look for a job as a assistance/junior accountant after completed my AAT level 2. not sure is that enough to get a job or not. could any one give me some advice please.

Thank you very much

cutecute
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Finding a new job is not easy in the current climate, but a positive attitude might help.

Your chances will increase once you get further down the studies, but for now, write a nice CV, with a proper covering letter and start sending them out. Either apply on jobs that show up online/ in the paper/ random other place to find jobs or start by sending your local accountancy firms some open letters.

Computer wise, it helps if you got some knowledge of accounting software packages, but the main thing is excel. If you don't know much about excel and got the option, start using it at home for your studies. Try it out and for example use it to keep track of your household money.

Study wise, I think you got the right start with the AAT, but you could think of a certificate in excel or sage.
  • Cutecute
    Rinske wrote: Β»
    Finding a new job is not easy in the current climate, but a positive attitude might help.

Your chances will increase once you get further down the studies, but for now, write a nice CV, with a proper covering letter and start sending them out. Either apply on jobs that show up online/ in the paper/ random other place to find jobs or start by sending your local accountancy firms some open letters.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I jz finished my study unit 30 last
    week. Have been practicing doing mock tests everyday. Thinking to take the exam around MAY. Jz wonder, do u know bout AAT Fast track to ACA in 4yrs? 55% pass rate. Seem really hard.

Please advise.
    Thank you
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    No sorry, don't know anything about the fast track. I just do AAT at the moment and when I finished, I'll decide what is next.

What exactly is the AAT fast track to ACA then? AAT and ACA in 4 years time? I think you need a training contract for ACA before you can enrol, but am not sure about that either!
  • Dipak Thanki
    Dipak Thanki Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    ACA is apparently the hardest one.

They are changing the AAT course and making diploma and NVQ both in one, from 2011 I think.
  • Cutecute
    I did checked with my learning provider and confirmed NVQ + Diploma goin to combine to ONE after July. I jz finished my unit 30, waiting for my exam.
    I wonder Will it effect me if I enroll my unit 31 around MAY? I only signed on unit 30 at the moment as I don't hav money pay at one go. Should I start my unit 31 now or wait after July? Or it won't effect me as I already enroll to Level 2?
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    You need to complete each level of the qualification under one type of qualification framework i.e complete Level 2 under the current framework and then you will enrol on level 3 under the new QCF framework.
  • Cutecute
    Cool. I will sign on my unit 31 within this week and will try to complete ASAP.
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Well you have untill June 2011 to finish Unit 31, as there is a transition period for current students. Once you have finished Unit 31, and you start level 3 you will start on the New QCF framework.

If you want to get an idea what this will look like go on either the Kaplan website or the BPP website, they both have a table of the new units - no prices as of yet though!
  • Cutecute
    Jz signed on my unit 31. My material should be arrive anytime next week. Anyone doin their unit 31?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Privacy Policy