Don't know what to do!

anniem
anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
I can't sleep ....... don't know whether to put in for PEV/PCR or not!

Got this blimin hip replacement op on 4th May and exams I want to take (but struggling to learn) on 14th/16th June - just about 6 weeks later; this is still in the not allowed to cross your legs/sleep other than on your back/drive a car/have a bath or shower/have sex/bend your hip past 90 degrees/sit on a low loo part of my life.

I really want to take the exams, but there is so much other stuff going on my head feels like its full of mush.

Have decided to go on to ATT after and if I want to take exams for that in November I need to register by the end of April as a student with them too.

I WANT: to be able to decide all these things after my operation, not in the next 2 weeks!

Life's a bit of a bummer sometimes!

(PS. for all you expert psychiatrists out there I'm not depressed - just can't sleep and venting 'cos there's nobody here to talk at - YES I DO MEAN AT !!!!!!!)
FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire

Comments

• slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I would suggest entering the exams and speaking directly to the AAT's exam team and discussing your situation that you may not be fit and able to do the exams and see if they can accomodate your needs?
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I think she tried that and was told special needs needed to be discussed at the venue.

Have you heard anything from them that would help you yet Anniem?
    Can you find a way to do the exam standing? Doesn't sound comfy, but if you can't sit down, it might be a good option? (Lying down on your back seems even harder, hence the standing)
  • slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    i meant that the exam fee's are refunded and able to do at another sitting, i kinow its not an ideal situation but would allow a little bit of flexibilty and not having to worry about the lost cash.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    slackda wrote: Β»
    i meant that the exam fee's are refunded and able to do at another sitting, i kinow its not an ideal situation but would allow a little bit of flexibilty and not having to worry about the lost cash.

They won't do that I've already explained the situation to them - the reply:

Exam fees are non transferable, the only exception would be if you was admitted to hospital on the day of the exam, in which case a proportion of your fee would be credited to your AAT account on discretion.

If you choose to enter for the exams, and you feel that your health may hinder you taking the exams, your centre can set special arrangements for you, such as extra time and rest breaks, you would need to speak to your college exams officer about this when entering for the exam.
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Anniem,

I understand your frustration however unless a) you can afford to forefeight the exam fees should you decide you're not fit enough to sit them or b) You're happy to risk failing because you either can't revise for them properly due to he op, or it's too much on the exam day and you can't concentrate or finish, then I would say don't put in for them.

I understand you wanting to start ATT as soon as possible, I registered with them in October 2008 hoping to sit my first exam in May 2009. Due to work comittments and family problems I entered for my last 2 AAT exams DFS and MAC in December 08 and June 09 but didn't sit them. I finally sat DFS in Dec 09 and have entered for MAC this June although if I don't get on with it I'll have no chance of passing. Needless to say I haven't even started ATT!

The good thing about ATT I have to say is that you pay a registration fee which lasts for 5 years, annual subscriptions are paid by members not students (well I think I've got that right as I haven't received any renewal papers ...lol)

I suppose really it's whether you want to take the risk. Would you feel almost ready for the exams if you weren't having the op? Are you generally a healthy fit person and do you feel you will recover quickly? If your answers are no or you're not sure then December for AAT and May 2010 for ATT aren't that far away, it all depends how positive you feel about it but please don't put yourself under too much pressure, I've tried that too many times in my life. If you want to put in for them and can be laid back about it all not worrying if doesn't turn out how you'd like it to, then go ahead and I wish you the very best of luck with everything.
  • Beautiful_bobo
    Beautiful_bobo Registered Posts: 106 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    anniem wrote: Β»
    I can't sleep ....... don't know whether to put in for PEV/PCR or not!

Got this blimin hip replacement op on 4th May and exams I want to take (but struggling to learn) on 14th/16th June - just about 6 weeks later; this is still in the not allowed to cross your legs/sleep other than on your back/drive a car/have a bath or shower/have sex/bend your hip past 90 degrees/sit on a low loo part of my life.

Don't forget the exercises as well, bending your feet up and down etc etc......you can sleep with a pillow between your legs and on the operated side but it does hurt. Will you have to do the injections or wear the white stockings.

Good Luck, everything will be fine.
    Jx
Privacy Policy