DFS Revision with Steve - Manchester

Steve Collings
Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi All,

Hope the study is going well.

I am planning a revision day in Manchester on Saturday 22 May 2010 at the Novotel Manchester Centre which will cover the major syllabus areas of DFS. Unfortunately, as previously mentioned I am unable to cover any other regions for the June 2010 sitting due to work commitments.

The day will start at 9.30 and finish at approximately 3.30. The day will be mentally exhausting but it should get you on the right road to success!!

The cost of the day will be Β£28 per delegate and if you are interested please email me at steve.collings@accountancystudents.co.uk

Kind regards
Steve

Comments

• Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi Steve,

Unfortunately I cannot make the DFS revision day as it is my sons birthday and we have arranged and paid for a birthday party at the β€˜Wacky Warehouse’!!

I would like to thank you anyway for offering your time and help to us students, and had I been able to attend then I certainly would have done.
  • faith26
    faith26 Registered Posts: 32 Regular contributor ⭐
    I like to come I may have a problem getting there that early I need to check the trains. I will come back to you.
  • Glynis
    Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Steve have you decided if you are doing any audit revision days as I really need help with F8. I have booked to sit the exam in june.
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hi Steve, it's a pity you can't tape these sessions and make them available,for a fee, as an on-line lecture or download. It would help a lot of people who are not able to attend your live sessions.
  • Glynis
    Steve are you doing any Audit related courses?
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I'm not his agent or anything but to save you posting several times - Steve isn't doing any audit courses, he has always said he wasn't doing any audit courses - there was never any question of a decision.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
  • Glynis
    I just thought maybe there were some revision days going. Is it so wrong to ask!
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Glynis wrote: Β»
    I just thought maybe there were some revision days going. Is it so wrong to ask!

As you've already had the answer to that particular question then yes I'm afraid it is.
  • Steve Collings
    Glynis

I am not doing any audit revision courses for June 2010. I only lecture on a very part-time basis and the take up for audit revision courses is not worth the time I am afraid.

If you are struggling then you need to be looking to go on a revision course at BPP or Kaplan or somewhere like one of those reputable tuition providers. They will benefit you hugely.

Steve
  • Glynis
    I will book a revision course with one of those colleges but they are very expensive.

Steve you should consider doing audit courses as students do need them.
  • Steve Collings
    Glynis wrote: Β»

Steve you should consider doing audit courses as students do need them.

I have considered it, and it is not viable. The cost of the venue, course notes and prep work will just not be feasible for me to run a course. If it were feasible I would run one.

Steve.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Why don't you get some of these students together and approach another independent tutor? That might solve your problem
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor 🐘
    The following was published a matter of weeks ago:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glynis
    Steve and sandy maybe you should consider additional courses in future as students do need them.

Glynis,

The courses that I put on for students are done in my own time. As you are aware I am not a full time tutor, I am a full time practice accountant and technical author. Unfortunately the first half of this year has been taken up with work and a publishing deadline for my next book. I cannot, in all honesty, fit in classes as well because (a) it would be unfair on me and (b) it would be unfair on the students if their lecturer was not on form. Lecturing is extremely exhausting both physically and mentally and to lecture students on a technical topic such as financial reporting or auditing needs a lot of planning as well as the course material and slides to prepare (students just see the lecturer teaching a subject - they do not see the planning that goes into it). I have to prioritise my commitments and whilst I would always go to the n'th degree to help students pass their exams (as Sandy Hood does also), unfortunately work commitments sometimes mean that study and revision days will have to take a back seat for some exam sessions.

I do sympathise with your situation but also (as I have explained several times before), the take up for auditing classes is not that great and I cannot put on a day for just a couple of students. I will be lecturing more fully for the December exams and if there are a minimum of, say, 10 students for an audit class then I will go ahead with the day.

In terms of financing your studies, I think you should think of the cost as an investment in your future rather than looking at the prices as some sort of "cash cow" for the tuition providers.

Maybe if you are finding your studies this time around particularly difficult you could consider deferring your exams until December to give you a bit more breathing space and to take the pressure off somewhat. The path to qualification should be a marathon, not a sprint.

Kind regards
    Steve

HE IS DOING ALL HE CAN!!! And i am deeply upset that i am not able to attend his DFS course as it's in my area and i need it!! Unfortunately my son's birthday party, booked and paid for, comes first.
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    keep banging on the same old drum...
  • Steve Collings
    Rachey wrote: Β»
    HE IS DOING ALL HE CAN!!! And i am deeply upset that i am not able to attend his DFS course as it's in my area and i need it!! Unfortunately my son's birthday party, booked and paid for, comes first.

Rachey

I have sent you a PM.

Best wishes
    Steve
Privacy Policy