Need a book recommendation for a beginner

smulx
smulx Registered Posts: 23 New contributor 🐸
I'm sitting an IAB level 1 bookkeeping exam this month but I don't really have any notes to refer to. I sent this email to someone at the college. Thought just pasting it here would describe the situation easier...

I was looking to buy a book to help me prepare for the level 1 bookkeeping exam as all I have to refer to from the lessons are scruffy pieces of work with things crossed out and corrected a lot. I was looking at the UK edition of Bookkeeping for Dummies but the material didn't seem the same as what I've been taught. One example is the balance 'carry down' and 'brought down' when balancing the cash books, I couldn't see any mention of this in the book. It made me wonder, are we just being taught a simplified method because it's only level 1, is she teaching us her preferred way of doing things, or is the book simply not relevant?

Anyway, the college have done a poor job of teaching the material so I hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Comments

• katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I would recommend Frank Woods 'Business Accounting' I have found it a very useful book, it is often the first book I use when need something clarified. I picked mine up on Amazon for a very reasonable price
  • smulx
    Thanks, I'll check it out now.

Can anyone shine some light on this bit.

"One example is the balance 'carry down' and 'brought down' when balancing the cash books, I couldn't see any mention of this in the book."

Is this actually standard practice in balancing the books or is this simplified or just plain incorrect?

Also, any other book recommendations are still appreciated.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Try this link on E-Bay. It still has two days left to run so depending on when you read this, you may still have time.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AAT-Foundation-Course-Revision-Companions-Units-1-4-/200466799238?cmd=ViewItem&pt=School_Textbooks_Study_Guides&hash=item2eacc09a86

Nice to see the seller's not making too much profit from the sale of these either. I believe in the Pay-it-Forward principle in that you receive forum help now from someone more experienced, you return help later on to others lower down the learning ladder once you've reached a higher level. TAKE NOTE GLYNIS!!!

Therefore, apart from covering the postage costs, people shouldn't take the piss by asking almost full price for their old books no matter how good the condition they're still in!
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I have the osborne AAT Foundation Accounting tutorial and workbook, they are a few years old now but that shouldn't matter. I can send them to you if pay the postage, but I will warn you they are quite heavy. If they are of use to you let me know and I'll get them weighed and let you know how much it will cost.
  • smulx
    Those ones on ebay say units 1-4 but I'm having to go down the diploma route due to not being employed in finance at the moment, so the units are different for me, aren't they?

Jilt, that would be cool if they're relevant to me. I just ordered Frank Wood's Business Accounting: v. 1 so I'm not sure what else I'll need.

Thanks.
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I'll get them weighed tomorrow and get back to you.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    smulx wrote: Β»
    Those ones on ebay say units 1-4 but I'm having to go down the diploma route due to not being employed in finance at the moment, so the units are different for me, aren't they?

Thought you were just after books to learn the theory of basic accounting rather than bespoke AAT works? If so, then Frank Wood books won't exactly fit you either since it's not AAT pigeon-holed (though they are very good).
  • smulx
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    Thought you were just after books to learn the theory of basic accounting rather than bespoke AAT works? If so, then Frank Wood books won't exactly fit you either since it's not AAT pigeon-holed (though they are very good).

oh that sucks, I kept reading that it was really good for people doing AAT. I'm about to order the 'Certificate in Accounting' diploma course, I just don't know what else I need and what is actually relevant to the course.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Smulx, when you buy the course, usually the course books are included and once you got those, you can see if you need anything else?

Might be easier then buying all kind of books to just find out you don't need them at all and have the feeling you wasted money somehow.
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I have found the osborne books the best so far for recommended texts. Also when I did the HND I was recommended Dyson - Accountancy for non-accountants and this one is fairly decent.

Martin
Privacy Policy