How many hours would you estimate the following?

moozy7
moozy7 Registered Posts: 33 Regular contributor ⭐
I have worked for my family for years, and due to insolvency, I now have to work for people in the real world. I know that i am capable of a good job, but have no idea of expectations.

Can anyone give me a rough guestimate as to how many hours work the following should take:

Slightly chaotic ( as in never a dull moment - phone calls all the time - pulled in different directions) family run business.

100k turnover

Food and beverage dept - sales figures reported every day ( = 5 entries x 7 days )
35 / week
Activities dept ( = approx 20 entries x 7 days )
140 / week
approx 50 no suppliers invoices per week
50 / week
approx 5 credit sales invoices per week
5 / week
cash account / current account / credit card account / loan accounts x 3 )
5/ week 35 / week 10 / week 1 / week

Total transactions:
Approx 280 per week

Payroll
50 staff - monthly - all different hours each month

Using SAGE Accounts and PAYROLL

Any ideas would be gratefully received - Thanks

Comments

• deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    No idea but £100k turnover between 50 staff doesn't sound like a lot of profit to me!
  • moozy7
    It does okay - lots of young people getting minimum wage working a few hours a week.
    Hardly any full timers.

Thanks for looking anyway
  • moozy7
    Whoops - I think I meant 1M - thats better
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I''d estimate the bookkeeping at 10 hours a week.
    Might sound high for the number of transactions but you said it's a bit chaotic and if you have a few problem things to tie up this can push the time right up.

Payroll, not sure, haven't dont that large a payroll before. Charge on a per-payslip basis?
    If you're having to add up hours worked and input those, bear in mind this might take a while compared to if staff were salaried.
  • moozy7
    Thank you Monsoon - sorry to have been so long answering.

Thats very reassuring - I seem to be expected to do the work in 1 day, including the Payroll which is as you described.

I dont feel so useless now
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Monsoon wrote: »
    I''d estimate the bookkeeping at 10 hours a week.

Not sure if 10 would be enough. The payroll part with 50 employees could be quite time consuming!

Companies with that size of turnover often have a full time member of staff to handle the accounts dept, especially if there's raising of purchase orders, delivery notes etc
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I said 10 for bookkeeping only and declined to estimate for the payroll too ;)
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Monsoon wrote: »
    I said 10 for bookkeeping only and declined to estimate for the payroll too ;)

Very wise!
  • moozy7
    Thanks again for your help.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    I do a payroll for a company that have 45 weekly paid staff with varying hours. I have the hours given to me and simply process them and send for BACS payment. This takes around 30-45 mins each week. The collection of the clocking in data and compiling of the hours etc takes around 4-5 hours each week.

So with the bookkeeping as well I would be saying 1 1/2 - 2 days per week with an extra day once a month for doing the payroll.
    Regards,

Burg
Privacy Policy