Do they really mean it?

angiet
angiet Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
I think I may have saturated the local job market, I've now reached the point where I've been sending my CV to local accountancy firms with a covering letter even if there is no vacancy. I've been getting the standard "we've got nothing now but we'll keep you on file" replies but do they actually mean it?

I know from experience that my ex-boss used to say just this then delete the emails and stick paper CVs straight in the recycling box or was he just particularly bad?

Guess I'm just on a bit of a downer about the whole job search really, I'm stuck in the middle of the experience circle...I need experience to get a job but can't get a job to gain the experience. Actually got a rejection today because I live too far away (12 miles). Can't even seem to get any voluntary experience either. Constant replies are simply that the rejections are down to lack of experience.

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

Comments

• MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    You are in the same boat as me when I graduated. I left uni 2008 and I got my current job in July last year - about a year after I graduated. I did do some vol work with oxfam as a finance assistant and I think that probs got me my job. My current job is experience I need with the NHS.

Look in direction of the NHS and take anything like a band 2 which is what I am on and a year under your belt will do the trick. Band 2 ask for very little experience but to be fair the job market is tight and there was 3 positions for my department and something like 155 applied.

But yeah I think companies just thob you off really as I was doing the same as you and sending out speculative approach letters but only got about 5 replies saying they will keep my information on file.
  • angiet
    thanks for your reply, I really was on a major self-pity trip last night! Ended up doing some baking and have woken up in a much better frame of mind.

I think it's simply that there are so many people out of work why take on someone that hasn't got any practical experience when they can have one of the other 100+ applicants that definately know what they are doing for the same money.

I'm checking every agency I can find and many large local firms every morning, even the local authorities within 30 miles but no joy, will keep plugging away.

Hmmm, definately a better frame of mind this morning :)
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi there,
    I was in the same boat also, but was lucky enough to get a placement with a council. Many councils have a recruitment freeze at the moment for 'back-room' staff & are unable to employ anybody permanently. This does mean, however, that office staff are in very short supply, & it should be worth your while to be placed on the temp register. Best of luck!
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    angiet wrote: Β»
    I think I may have saturated the local job market, I've now reached the point where I've been sending my CV to local accountancy firms with a covering letter even if there is no vacancy. I've been getting the standard "we've got nothing now but we'll keep you on file" replies but do they actually mean it?

I tend to read it as the business equivalent of "let's just be friends": very rarely genuine, but something polite you're obliged to say. But then I'm quite a negative person.

On the other hand, I have had rejection letters (to specific vacancies) where they didn't want any of the first round of candidates they brought in to interview, so called up another batch from the same wave of applicants.

Agencies can actually be quite good at "sorry you weren't selected for Job X which you applied for last months, but would you be interested in Job Y?" which is a similar situation.
  • angiet
    Thanks for everyone's input, seeing that I'm not alone in feeling this way has helped me feel more positive - at least I'm reading between the lines and not getting my hopes up too much and this is just the start of my new career.

I spoke to a lovely bloke at Graham Toner this morning and although he couldn't help me find employment he gave me some excellent tips and feedback on my CV.

I'd had a telephone interview last week for a job I thought was a little out of my range and thought it had gone well but didn't hear anything so forgot about it, then today while having a break (and mid-tennis set lol) they called and offered me an interview on Monday!

I'm delighted, it's a huge company and relocating to my home town so even if this isn't successful perhaps there will be another position for me, I'm more than happy to start as the tea-girl as long as there are opportunities for me to move up once my foot is in the door. Plus it's Β£5k more than I was expecting to earn in an entry level position so fingers crossed that goes well.

I'm also waiting to hear back from another trainee position (if I'm not too old and encumbered being a 32 year old mum of four!), wonder if interviews are like buses...you wait ages then three come along at once? lol
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor 🐘
    Nice one Angie...well done...Let us know how ya get on
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Ask at the job centre, if they have some jobs advertised that are funded through government schemes (Future Jobs Fund is one). Will only pay minimum wage but might be worth it to get your foot in the door for an admin/finance type job.

** Ignore that, I think the FJF is for 16 to 25 year olds, that have been unemployed for 6 months or more.
  • angiet
    thank you PGM, jobcentre were no use at all, poor bloke was so embarrassed that he couldn't help me when I went in as I'm not a "vulnerable member of society" but I think you're right, I'm considered too old for most junior postions at 32 (never felt old before lol)

and to answer SteveJ I had the interview at 9am, and I got it on the spot! I was completely honest about my abilities and how ready I am to learn and grow into the role and my new boss (woo hoo! love saying that) offered me a 12 month FTC on the spot and there will be chances to apply for permanent roles as they arise! Had the formal offer through the recruitment team now and accepted and I start on 7th June. Which also means I can now afford to take on the next level of study and see how it relates to every day business.

I haven't had a full time job in 13 years and I'm over the moon that even in the current job market my first interview has netted me employment with a massive company, they can send all the "we'll keep you on file" and "sorry you're not experienced enough" emails they like now, for the next year I'm working in a finance team :)

(sorry for waffling on so much I'm just so pleased!)
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor 🐘
    working as part of a finance team...woohoo...

Congratulations...Some celebrations are definately in order !!

Another great story to help anyone else thinking that getting a start is impossible...

WELL DONE !!!
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Congratulations indeed, that is very good news!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Great news! And you can enjoy your next couple of weeks holiday!
  • angiet
    PGM - wont be enjoying it that much the kids beak up on Thursday ;-) Just kidding it's great to be able to spend the whole week with them before I launch into full time work and not just outside school hours.

It's all falling into place now, my mum and brother have offered to help out with the kids (reduces childcare by Β£300 a month even with giving her some money!) until I've got everything into a routine and actually got some money coming in.

There are quite a few posts on here that have given me hope that there is a chance and kept me going although I think out of over 100 applications over the last month this is the only one that I've made it interview on but I hope this will help anyone else that's feeling the same as I was when I wrote the initial post.

No doubt I'll be posting about being terrified on the 6th June but for now thank you to everyone on here, i might not always post but I do regularly read posts and your advice to others has been a huge help to me too :-)
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Congratulations - and all the best for 7th June.

Well done Angie!!!!!
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Well done Angie.

I started my lunch break feeling a real grump, but hearing your news has cheered me up.. it's so good to hear good news for a change.
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    just read this thread - well done.

Who knows where it will lead - onwards and upwards. Good news you can continue your studies too

Congrats

Tracy
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Well done - onwards & upwards! I think us Mums often feel a bit inadequate when we've had a career break to raise the kids (compared to the 'have it all' career women). I found that, having two older-teen boys I'm much better at smelling a rat than most folks, a little more tenacious, & enjoy the stressful work situations - after all, they're nothing in comparison to home life! Best wishes. x
  • angiet
    Well done - onwards & upwards! I think us Mums often feel a bit inadequate when we've had a career break to raise the kids (compared to the 'have it all' career women). I found that, having two older-teen boys I'm much better at smelling a rat than most folks, a little more tenacious, & enjoy the stressful work situations - after all, they're nothing in comparison to home life! Best wishes. x

Thanks Andypandy, you hit the nail on the head there and you're right, as a mum you can spot a lie or anything dodgy a mile off. It's half term week here and I start on Monday, it's taken since the day i was offered the job until today to get a childminder for my little ones - no one mentions the hardest part of a career change after a break is finding someone you can trust (and afford) to look after your family. Although in one way all that has completely wiped out any worries about actually going in and doing the job next week.

Right now I'm looking forward to going in and getting started and as you said even a busy building with nearly 2000 employees is actually going to be calmer and quieter than home with four kids and my husband ;)
Privacy Policy