applying for jobs... what is SAP???

gemz117
gemz117 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Hi,

This is probably a really dull question, but i'm looking at various accountancy / ledger jobs and one has the following duties.....

....Inputting information within SAP....

....Ordering Stationary supplies via SAP EBP...

Can someone help? What is SAP?? What is EBP??

lol i feel a bit of a sap asking!

Comments

• Dipak Thanki
    Dipak Thanki Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I want to know this also, a few jobs that I've looked into, also state the above.
  • Bowdent
    Bowdent Registered Posts: 22 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    It's no doubt referring to a software solution that can incorporate finance, payroll, stock control, hr etc. It is or can be a all in one solution for businesses. I know some councils and unilever use it. Check out www.sap.com for more detailed info.
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    SAP is Enterprise Resource Planning software often used by large organisations. wiki page

Have you used Oracle? They're very similar in concept, especially from a data input point of view. The idea behind both is to do everything in the business on one massive system.

If you haven't used either, it's probably best to focus on what you have used (Sage? Pegasus Opera?) and your willingness to learn.
  • Marky Astra
    Marky Astra Registered Posts: 45 Regular contributor โญ
    At work we call Sage Accounts Production - 'SAP's'. Not sure if thats the same thing? but worth a try lol
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I know SAP as Sage Accounts Production too Marky, but in this context with it being EBP I think it is the business solutions one!
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    SAP in this context is more likely to be the (I think) German integrated system. Around here West Sussex County Council and a few very large organisations use it. The system comes with a lot of support and training as it complex. Typically organisations have their own in-house people to pass on training to other staff using it.
    Although elements are customised to individual organisations, if you've used it in one place you will find you can pick up how to use it in another fairly quickly.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • acc1077
    acc1077 Registered Posts: 138 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi there

Lincolnshire County Council also use SAP. This is how SAP is introduced to us:
    "SAP is best described as an integrated suite of financial systems.
    โ€ข SAP stands for Systems Applications Products in Data Processing
    โ€ข SAP is made up of integrated sub-systems also known as modules
    โ€ข SAP is integrated which means that the modules talk to each other
    โ€ข When an update has been made to one module it is more than likely to have a knock on effect on at least one other module.
    โ€ข SAP is a modern, integrated, real time business solution which is compatible with other technologies such as the Internet.
    โ€ข It is recognised as the market solution of its type in the world and incorporates best practice functions from over 500 public sector organisations and thousands of businesses around the globe."

Within a school environment, there would normally be the SAP Licence Holder (the headteacher) and the SAP Licence Operator (the Bursar) All training (5 days for the Bursar) (1 day for the Head) is provided by the council business training team.
    Anita
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    It does sound very much like Oracle, in which case you're quicker running a report with a pencil & ruler. At my interview today they asked if I'd ever used Integra & EST...had to admit that I'd never heard of them.
  • timwright116
    timwright116 Registered Posts: 9 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    I've used SAP a number of times to input our invoices into our clients database for approval... it's long winded, slow, and very annoying!
  • gemz117
    gemz117 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Thanks for all the info and clearing that up for me, I had wondered if it was a software package.

Gemma
  • currywala
    currywala Registered Posts: 14 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Its not just a soft ware package its bigger newer advanved then SAGE package there office is near Bedfont nr Heathrow its around 10 K to do a SAP course.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Its not just a soft ware package its bigger newer advanved then SAGE package there office is near Bedfont nr Heathrow its around 10 K to do a SAP course.

You make it sound like:

Imagine spoken in very sultry dulcet tones;

" This is not just any software package, this is hand crafted with the finest technology, meticulously planned, fabulously executed, state of the art M&S Software Package!!!! "
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Nnelilan
    Nnelilan Registered Posts: 19 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    SAP and Oracle are generally used by the bigger companies/local authorities, etc. SAGE (and other such applications) are generally used by smaller companies/accountancy firms
  • Aaron C Rescue
    Aaron C Rescue Registered Posts: 76 Regular contributor โญ
    Mr first Finance job ever was in Purchasing and Stock using SAP. I found it a very simple, very logical, very quick and useful for entering invoices and running reports. I consider it unbeatable when it comes to 'component parts' of the raw materials to final goods process.

I will add, that as we were the first in our large office to get the system, we had a lot more access than should have been granted for our roles. And also, due to the amount of paperwork we processed, our computers tapped directly into the SAP server - not via User Interfaces such as intranets etc. this is what made our system fast.

Since SAP I have used Oracle, Sun, Sage 100 and Sage 50, and SAP remains my preferred software.
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    anniem wrote: ยป
    You make it sound like:

Imagine spoken in very sultry dulcet tones;

" This is not just any software package, this is hand crafted with the finest technology, meticulously planned, fabulously executed, state of the art M&S Software Package!!!! "

You should put yourself forward to do their publicity, I think you maybe on to something :)
  • Aaron C Rescue
    Aaron C Rescue Registered Posts: 76 Regular contributor โญ
    Oh yeah SAP EBP - mainly for very large organisations.

The EBP part is Electronic Buyer (cant remember what the P is - possibly Procurement??). Bottom line is that the entire process from Sales Orders/Purchase Order - to final Invoicing/final payment is all wrapped up in the one electronic system.

Briefly it turns your computer into a one stop shop where you can compare products and prices from many different approved suppliers. Imagine Amazon.co.uk - but dedicated to only the goods that your company uses, and only to your approved suppliers and your negotiated price.

Say someone needed a new chair, currently you may have to go through the following procedure -

- Find out who the supplier is.
    - What model do you order
    - How much can you spend
    - find suppliers website/catalogue
    - fidn out if their is a negotiated discount form published prices
    - complete Purchase request with correct price
    - get manager to sign purchase request
    - take to purchasing and get them to generate Purchase Order
    - Await arrival of chair.

With SAP EBP the bloke on the third floor simply opens the application, enters office chair in his search parameters, finds the one he wants, clicks 'buy', is given the option to send a note to the budget holder, checks out, and waits for his new chair to arrive.
  • phunkyphantom22
    phunkyphantom22 Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    EBP = Enterprise Buyer Professional
Privacy Policy