Can I call myself an Accountant?

hixie
hixie Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
Not sure if this is a stupid question but once I have qualified AAT am I able to call myself an accountant?

I am thinking about going self employed and would like to know what services I could offer being AAt qualified. Obviously this would be more than bookkeeping services but are there any limits to what services I can offer?

I would also be grateful for any tips on where to start off on your own!!

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Of course you can. I advertise my services as "accounting services" and use my title "FMAAT", signing off as "Licensed Member of the Association of Accounting Techncians".

Just make sure you are licensed with AAT as a member in practice and that you have the correct insurance.

Good Luck!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Anyone can call themselves an accountant. It's not a protected name, like 'solicitor' and 'doctor' are.

You can't do audit, and shouldn't do anything you aren't competent in (but that doesn't stop some folk!). As TC says, make sure you get your MIP status sorted and your PII.

Good luck :)
  • Psyche
    Psyche Registered Posts: 187 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    What do you folks say when people ask you, what's the difference between what we do and being a chartered accountant? Other than we can't do audit, or tax planning (unless qualified by experience)?

I do call myself an accountant in casual conversation, and say that I am AAT licensed and offer accountancy services. Sounds silly saying "I'm an accounting technician" and it confuses people, though I do make the distinction that I am not chartered if further elaboration is necessary.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Psyche wrote: »
    What do you folks say when people ask you, what's the difference between what we do and being a chartered accountant? Other than we can't do audit, or tax planning (unless qualified by experience)?

I do call myself an accountant in casual conversation, and say that I am AAT licensed and offer accountancy services. Sounds silly saying "I'm an accounting technician" and it confuses people, though I do make the distinction that I am not chartered if further elaboration is necessary.

I totally agree.
  • gregory
    gregory Registered Posts: 37 Regular contributor ⭐
    I have these same questions all over my head all the time. I have 2 exams to go. Then hopefully I will be Technician accountant. I cant go higher (lack of funds). So I am considering setting up (my own or partnership) accounting practice. For past 3,5 years I stack shelves at Tesco. Beyond that I do help my mate with his building bussiness (Ltd company), doing books for him and other paperworks. All that is made up to TB (rest is left to chartered accounant). I help my mate on the voluntarity basis, just to have a bit of practice somwhere. And here is my questions:
    1) How can I prove my years of experience if my main job is stacking shelves? I would like to get the Member in practice/FMAAT status.
    2) If finally I would be able to set up my own accountancy bussiness, how far I could go? Self-employed that what I know but what about limited companies? Would I be entitled to finalise book (I.S. and S.O.F.P)? I know that I am not aloud then auditing and tax advises but what else?
    If anyone would be so kind and help with above that would be much appreciate.
    Greg
  • andrewtdk
    andrewtdk Registered Posts: 150 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Before you can become a member of the AAT you need either 2 or 3 years experience(i think) in accounts. If you need say 2 years experience and you only for for your friend say 1 day a week you would need to have 10 years experience to become a member of the AAT. You may need to consider this as you wont be able to become an MIP until you have this experience.

You also need to have experience in each area of accounts in which you wish to practice so for you it is likely you will only be able to do bookkeeping work for clients.

As far as i am aware you will be able to do bookkeeping work for both limited companies or sole traders as i think it may only be when producing accounts and tax etc where you need to show experience of working with both types of client however dont quote me on this as i am not 100% sure.

Your best bet would be to search for a job in an accounts practise and gain experience working in producing final accounts etc as this would be the only way you could get the experience required before becoming a MIP in these areas

Andrew,
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    You only need 1 year full time or the equivalent part time to qualify as MAAT, but you can only become a MIP for what you have experience with. So if you never dealt with anything past the TB, they won't allow you to do more then bookkeeping up to TB.
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor 🐘
    hixie wrote: »
    .................but once I have qualified AAT am I able to call myself an accountant?

You don't have to be qualified to call yourself an ACCOUNTANT!

If you are not qualified, your work may not be classified as credible.

However, there are plent of prefessional accountants using "unqualified accountants" for bookkeeping, VAT returns, preparing final accounts and even tax computations and filing tax returns. Ofcouse the work is reviewed and counter signed by the qualified accountant.

If you want to be percived as a recognised accountant, then you must follow AAT's MIP rules.
  • gregory
    gregory Registered Posts: 37 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thank You all for your explanations and help.
    Regards to all
    Greg
Privacy Policy