FRA - Pencils

jayne.pope@irml.net
jayne.pope@irml.net Registered Posts: 15 New contributor 🐸
Hi all - hope the revision is going well for everyone. I am sitting FRA on Thursday this week and the nerves are starting to set in now. Good luck to everyone.

Just a quick question re the use of pencils. In my previous exams I have always done my TB's in pencil and then when I am happy with this have erased this and re written in permanent ink. Will this still be allowed?

If not does anybody know if we are going to be able to use a pencil for our working/scribble pages? Or should we just leave them at home?

I can't believe how much more stressful this is making it for me although I am probably just over reacting!!!

Thanks

J

Comments

• AuntieT
    AuntieT Registered Posts: 96 Regular contributor ⭐
    Didn't take pencil as was told not allowed - but it seems that you would be ok - as long as you rub out and write in pen - pencil won't be marked - or so I gathered!
  • EmilyRushin
    EmilyRushin Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
    On my ecr exam yesterday i wrote it all in pencil then when was happy with it(supposedly happy) lol i redid it pen and made sure rubbed out all the pencil, my teacher said theres nothing rong with doing that
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    But if you do that and run out of time, what will happen next?

I'm not trying to tell you or anyone else off for using the tactic, it's just a thing to keep in mind.
  • EmilyRushin
    EmilyRushin Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
    I just used my initiative on time! seemed a lot beter then doing all in pen and realising was rong,, would look complete mess! rubbin out takes minutes
  • jayne.pope@irml.net
    Thanks guys. That's put my mind at rest a bit.

Good luck to all with revision and exams.

J
  • emma123
    emma123 Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    i feel sick at the thought of the exam! :(
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    emma123 wrote: Β»
    i feel sick at the thought of the exam! :(

you will be fine.

just take a deep breath and read the questions carefully.

in the 15 mins reading time - you can write if you want , i make notes on the question paper so that when i come to that part later in the exam my mind wont be blank

and last of all,

Good luck

Tracy
  • emma123
    taskey wrote: Β»
    you will be fine.

just take a deep breath and read the questions carefully.

in the 15 mins reading time - you can write if you want , i make notes on the question paper so that when i come to that part later in the exam my mind wont be blank

and last of all,

Good luck

Tracy

good idea! :)

good luck to everyone
  • donnas1977
    donnas1977 Registered Posts: 182 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    that is a good idea to make notes during that time, i feel sick as well Emma and my exam isnt till Friday :(
  • emma123
    that is a good idea to make notes during that time, i feel sick as well Emma and my exam isnt till Friday :(

it's reassuring when you're distance learning, to know that everyone's in the same boat. we'll be ok. positive attitude! that's what i'm telling myself anyway lol
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    "Students must also complete all answers, including workings, in permanent pen rather than pencil or erasable pen."

This is what the AAT said in a newsletter to providers. I take this to mean 'Do not use pencil or erqasable pen at all'

The exam paper states clearly on the front: 'You must use permanent ink'.

You have to decide, do you want the examiner to throw out your paper because you haven't adhered to the rules, obeyed instructions used an incorrect/unacceptable method to record your answers?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    welsh i will be intrested in certain people results from my college (not me) as they used rub out pens and if i hear they passed i will be extreamly dissappointed as i used pen all the way through (totally out of my comfort zone as always used them in the past)
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I remember taking FRA (in the days we were allowed pencils).

I did all my workings TB, etc in pencil and then wrote over it in pen.

I went back and did all my erasing at the end of the exam, as I didn't want any wet ink to smudge across the paper, plus it meant that you could just carry on working until you were happy, without waiting for ink to dry to do the rubout.

As long as you leave 5 minutes at the end of the exam to do all the rubbing out on every page, you can still have a neat script to hand in.

Good luck to all taking FRA this afternoon!

Anna
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • emma123
    Thanks Anna. I'm getting a chinese after the exam. I can't wait lol
  • rehana
    rehana Registered Posts: 61 Regular contributor ⭐
    aat say - you may not write in pencil (see page 2 of your exam attendance details) a
    telephone call to them will confirm that any erasable equipment is not allowed in the exam room
  • emma123
    this is what it says in the examiners report for June 09

Candidates should not use pencil or red ink in their answers. If they are untidy, this is not specifically penalised, but if it means that workings cannot be followed or words and figures cannot be read, marks will be lost, so candidates should try to present a neat and tidy exam paper.
  • jayne.pope@irml.net
    Well done to all who sat FRA today. I thought the paper was okay. Just an agonising wait for results now.

I took a pencil and eraser and used this in my trial balance and then rubbed out and went over in permanent ink. I was sitting directly next to the invigilator who clearly saw this and did not say anything so I assume this was acceptable as the final answer was in permanent ink.

I did do some scribbles and workings in pencil but hopefully this will be okay.

Good luck to these who have still to sit exams this week.

Jayne
Privacy Policy