job interview question

Glynis
Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
I have an interview on tuesday at a practice for an assistant accountant role and they have said I will be required to do an aptitude test. Does anyone know what this will involve?

This is urgent please.

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    No specific idea but plenty of results on google for "aptitude test."

Good luck with your interview.
  • Psyche
    Psyche Registered Posts: 187 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    If you're qualified for the role then I wouldn't worry about passing the test! It would probably involve things you're likely to be doing in the role: entering postings and journals, possibly use of Excel/Word, analysis of a profit and loss account/balance sheet, calculating depreciation, debits and credits, possibly basic functions of accounting software (might be worth finding out what software they use), this sort of thing.

Please report back if I'm way off! And good luck!
    ~Psyche
  • Claire321
    Claire321 Registered Posts: 209 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    An aptitude test is a way of evaluating how people perform on tasks or react to different situations. It usually consists of a series of multiple choice questions about your personality and how you react in certain situations. There are no right or wrong answers it just produces a profile of the person taking the test - which can then be matched to a job role.

It's not really anything to worry about, you just have to be honest. Often they can ask the same sort of question in different ways.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Given up applying for manager roles then ;)?

Good luck with the job interview.
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Psyche wrote: ยป
    It would probably involve things you're likely to be doing in the role: entering postings and journals, possibly use of Excel/Word, analysis of a profit and loss account/balance sheet, calculating depreciation, debits and credits, possibly basic functions of accounting software (might be worth finding out what software they use), this sort of thing.

In my experience, if they're calling it an aptitude test it's not so much based on the specific skills. They're usually more general: verbal or numerical reasoning and/or comprehension. Additionally, as Claire says, they could be more of a 'personality test'. Either way, expect a lot of multiple choice questions that aren't testing technical knowledge and try not to think "what does this have to do with the role?".

You can't really practice for the personality/psycological type, but you could try and find some numerical/verbal aptitude guidance and practie tests.
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi Glynis

How did your interview go?
  • Glynis
    It was an unbelievable waste of time! After sitting being interrogated by 2 "chartered" accountants and the "head of assurances" and made to sit a ridiculous test, one of the "chartered" said that "while study support is offered, we are ideally looking for someone with at least 4 years practice experience". So why the hell did they interview me then? Theyve got my CV,, the "agency" has so called told them this would be my first practice job and it doesnt say anything about so called having 4 years experience. The "charterered accountants" seemed very condesending as well.

Once again this just demonstrates what a total and utter waste of space agencies are and i would advise nobody to use one!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Unfortunatley i can understand why they would ask for someone with practise experience and in this climate they can aford to be fussy but the fact you where put forward for the job is a good sign. You cant expect to given the first job you apply for and recieve an interview.

We have taken people without any experience to our downfall, and maybe it has been the same for them. Did you happen to ask why the job came about it might be for this very reason. What was the duties you would have been taking? Did you bring up the subject of study support? What qualities did you offer? How much do you know about practise? Sorry not getting at you but these are the questions we ask when seeing applicants.

Just keep looking am sure the right place will come along.
  • AK002
    Why are you putting "chartered" ???
  • Glynis
    AK002 wrote: ยป
    Why are you putting "chartered" ???

Well they said thjey were but you never know do you. I found the whole experience both a waste of time and demoralising.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Glynis wrote: ยป
    Well they said thjey were but you never know do you. I found the whole experience both a waste of time and demoralising.

Why?
  • AK002

Why would they lie?
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Theyve got my CV,, the "agency" has so called told them this would be my first practice job and it doesnt say anything about so called having 4 years experience.

Once again this just demonstrates what a total and utter waste of space agencies are and i would advise nobody to use one!

It's not the agencies fault the client decided to interview you! The agency must have worked damn hard to get you the interview if the client would prefer someone with practice experience.

If anything just put it down to interview experience. You would probably have better luck applying for trainee/grad/junior positions.
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    The problem with going through agencies is that (quite rightly) they charge the Accountancy practice a fee for finding you. This is fine if you are part qualified and have a good background in Practice workings. Unfortunately, if you do not have this experience the Practice will not want to take a chance on you as they will have to pay the Agency fees.

The best bet is to write to the Accountancy practices in your area. Tell them that you are already studying ACCA to show your determination to succeed in your chosen profession. You may have to take a salary cut though - but you have to weigh up if it is worth a lower wage for a couple of years, but get ACCA study help and a better future long term wage.
Privacy Policy