Church accounts

kerryhill100
kerryhill100 Registered Posts: 121 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. A friend of mine has no experience in the accounting world but has taken on the treasurers job for there church. they have sent me the following question and am unsure how to answer it!!

I now have to produce some half yearly reports.

A statement of Asssets and Liabilities
A statement of Financial Activities
An analysis of income and expenditure.

The computer system produces these for me but I don't
understand the figures it produces. The reports quote
'Unrestricted' and 'Designated'. All of our funds are
'unrestricted'

Comments

• Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Kerry I used to be a church treasurer, funds are split as you have found out.

I'm at work at the moment, will try to explain either at lunch time or when I get home.

It's not difficult - they just use different terminoligy.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
  • Jan
    Gem has answered your query in the link.

I usually had to explain restricted etc at the AGM each year. Basically if someone donates money and they want it to be used for say new carpets, then it can't be used for the church roof as it is restricted funds. If the PCC decide to use some other money to the carpets and then later decide it would be better used repairing the roof that is OK to use as it was designated. Unrestricted is what it says

If you have any more questions just let me know, I may even have the spreadsheets I used to use to produce the year end accounts.
  • kerryhill100
    kerryhill100 Registered Posts: 121 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Jan wrote: Β»
    Gem has answered your query in the link.

I usually had to explain restricted etc at the AGM each year. Basically if someone donates money and they want it to be used for say new carpets, then it can't be used for the church roof as it is restricted funds. If the PCC decide to use some other money to the carpets and then later decide it would be better used repairing the roof that is OK to use as it was designated. Unrestricted is what it says

If you have any more questions just let me know, I may even have the spreadsheets I used to use to produce the year end accounts.

Thank you so much!!

I feel abit stupid now as rather self explainatory!
  • Jan
    Sometimes the obvious just isn't!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Thank you so much!!

I feel abit stupid now as rather self explainatory!

You'd be surprised how many people don't know the definition, who should!
Privacy Policy