Macbook Pro what spec?

Lenny Quinton
Lenny Quinton Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
Hi all,
I am due to start AAT Level 2 in September at Kaplan London Bridge and wondered if anybody had a bit of advice as to what Macbook Pro to get, what size, what model etc.

i will use it for my studies and also my music,video and Photo Collection. Maybe for other uses like Creating a blog. :)

I did want the iMac but i just aint indoors enough to use it to its full potential so i thought about getting a MacBook Pro then an Apple 24" Cinema Screen to use it basically like an iMac whenever i actually am indoors.

Any thoughts

Comments

• JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    You wont need a particularly powerful macbook in regards to the study part, however you may need to look into getting windows also (to use with bootcamp) as i'm not sure how compatible more accounting programmes are with Mac. - that said as it looks like you are doing a 'taught' course you may not need this either.

In regards to the spec of your computer, it depends on how much music and how many photos you want on there.
  • Lenny Quinton
    Thanks Jaffa, well loads of albums, im not sure of a figure just dont want the system to slow down.

i could always use a external hard drive to hold the music and photos that isnt a problem.

do you know much about macs then?

Cheers Lenny
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    a small amount, as in I have one (i love it) only have a plain old macbook, but its amazing. much quicker than my boyfriends dell laptop, and i have lots of music and photos.

i would suggest looking on the apple website, and some of the forums, there are far far more techy people than me who could tell you what spec to get in a heartbeat!
  • Lenny Quinton
    ok then, any good forums you know about ? ive never really been a fan of the normal macbook. thats why i fancy the macbook pro. I have been told macs hardly slow down atall which would be great.

so have you been doing aat for long ?
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    My CEO's Macbook Pro bought in Feb this year has the following spec:

3.06ghz Core 2 Duo
    8gb RAM
    500gb hard drive

While that's one of the fastests specs I've ever seen, it came at a very hefty £3,114 including VAT. I'm sure Macs are great but just half of that price would still buy you an extremely speedy Windows based PC with duo or even quad core processing power, probably around 750gb-1tb of storage and 1gb dedicated graphics. Try having a look at the Dell XPS range or others such as Mesh or HP.

Buy a PC magazine such as Computer Shopper and see what a £1,000 - £1,500 budget would buy you.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/Laptops/laptop-gaming/ct.aspx?refid=laptop-gaming&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&~ck=mn
Privacy Policy