job interview

valentino46
valentino46 Registered Posts: 124 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
Hi,

ive had a response after sending my cv from a local practice with 4 offices in Birmingham, one of the directors has written back to me asking me to attend an interview as a position hs become available, this is the first interview for a practice i have had and my experience for the last 2 years has been preparing the accounts for an SME up to and including bank rec.

The director of the firm hasnt really given much away on the phone as to the position available so im stumped as to how they are going to intervierw me as i havent responded to a job adv as such.

any ideas on how i should go into this one and get the job??

im running out of nails to chew!!

thanks, rob

Comments

• blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Clearly you're gonna go into this one blind, however, since the director has presumably read the CV you sent in, he/she may have deduced that the position they have potentially lined up for you, is one you could naturally fill within your range of skills.

So the advice is to be confident, don't lie about what you can and can't do and see what it is!

BTW, if you've already had it by now, how did you get on?
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I once had a similar "blind interview" for a position thanks to a less than helpful agency. I simply did as much research on the company as possible and then let it flow. Having gone to the effort to find out information prior to the interview apparently impressed them.

I researched their website, their accounts as filed as companies house(eg turnover/net profit etc.), googled them (trade forums and the like) as a few ideas.

I didnt get the job, but they went bust 6 months later anyway so it wasnt a big loss in the long run.....
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Jon_1984 wrote: Β»
    their accounts as filed as companies house(eg turnover/net profit etc.), googled them (trade forums and the like) as a few ideas.

would this be something they would expect you to know at an interview for a basic entry level job? just wondering whether its something is should try and look into, or would they think i'm doing something 'above my station' so to speak. That said, in this climate, its probably not a bad idea to look into a companies finances before working for them lol
  • tigger37
    tigger37 Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    would this be something they would expect you to know at an interview for a basic entry level job? just wondering whether its something is should try and look into, or would they think i'm doing something 'above my station' so to speak. That said, in this climate, its probably not a bad idea to look into a companies finances before working for them lol
    It's not a bad thing to know as much as possible about a company. I did this as well for a up and coming company I had an interview for and saw the last 2 years were operating at quite a significant loss. It had a little bit of an impact in my decision.
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Where would you find this info? And is it free to access?

Thanks
  • tigger37
    tigger37 Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Where would you find this info? And is it free to access?

Thanks
    I got it off of Companies House for Β£1 per report. Unfortunately, the job interview I have on Monday has no formal job spec for it, so I too am going in it a bit blind.
  • valentino46
    valentino46 Registered Posts: 124 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    hi robert,

i got the job, they asked me if could deal with the VAT quarters for cash accounting and invoice accounting, i responded yes, i bent the truth to get in the practice as my experience had only been on sage invoice accounting. the bull$Β£%^ i told them to get the position!!

I didnt want to bend the truth but it was either that or a another "sorry" but "thanks"

its going well at the mo, really well.

good luck to all tomorrow, im not going to sleep tonite so off for another beer!!

rob
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I like happy endings.

I don't see anything wrong with a little embellishment here and there. Many of us would still be stuck around square one without having trumped up our strengths at some point, it's just outright lies that should be forbidden!
  • snowmarauder
    snowmarauder Registered Posts: 99 Regular contributor ⭐
    Brill, glad you got the job, have a good time, have they anymore positions. Ive just passed level three and Im only working pt at a really nice place but really want a full time position.
Privacy Policy