Working Dogs and VAT?

A-Vic
A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Sorry not sure if asked before!

If you own a scrap yard and you have a guard dog on site can you claim back VAT on vet bills food ect for the dog

Comments

• sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor 🐘
    A-Vic wrote: »
    Sorry not sure if asked before!

If you own a scrap yard and you have a guard dog on site can you claim back VAT on vet bills food ect for the dog

Are maintaining guard dogs a business expense?

Is VAT recoverable on the business expense?

you know the rest..............
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    thanks i know bit of a daft one was having a blonde moment :)
  • snowmarauder
    snowmarauder Registered Posts: 99 Regular contributor ⭐
    would this apply then if you have a working sled dog team and you set up a business teaching people about working team and give tuition on using rigs and how to train your dog to pull a rig etc
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Why not? You would include fuel for a car for a driving instructor, so fuel for the dog would be the same surely.
  • valentino46
    valentino46 Registered Posts: 124 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    what about on the expense for the tools to clean up the %^$£ left by the dog to place in the special bin purchased to accumulate all the ^£$% in the same place ?
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Dog food branded for working dogs/greyhounds (in large sacks) is sold VAT free.....

6788.jpg
  • snowmarauder
    snowmarauder Registered Posts: 99 Regular contributor ⭐
    all working dog food is vat free, also you can get it vat free if you are a breeder x but dont forget all the other expenses may not be vat free xx
  • E Storey
    E Storey Registered Posts: 32 Regular contributor ⭐
    but if you just buy normal dog food and feed it to a working dog surely you would reclaim VAT (if it's applied to dog food).

This reminds me of the question I have about where to code hire of an elephant and two giraffes to....
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    E Storey wrote: »
    but if you just buy normal dog food and feed it to a working dog surely you would reclaim VAT (if it's applied to dog food).

This reminds me of the question I have about where to code hire of an elephant and two giraffes to....

1. Yes you can if it's a business expense.

2. Hire of equipment or Other Direct Costs?! :lol:
Privacy Policy