Is it compulsory to enrol with a training provider?

mge
mge Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
I was wondering whether there is any way that you can just pay to sit the CBEs without being enrolled with a training provider?

I would like to take the Level 3. I have the advanced IAB manual book-keeping qualification, a computerised accounting qualification, and have a good knowledge of costing, so would probably be able to study for it without the help of a training provider.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I'm keen to keep the costs down.

Comments

• aleyandra
    aleyandra Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    I don't know if anything changed, but my college was trying to put the fees up for next year, so I rang the AAT at the end of May and they told me that unfortunately they didn't do self study.

I've looked at various options since and so far Caplan Financial Training is coming up the cheapest. I quite like the idea of taking one unit at a time, rather than having to pay for all 6 in one go. Although if you book for all units at the same time you get a small discount.
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    You can take the examined units without a training provider but you need one for the assessed units. There are 2 of these at each level. The problem will be finding a provider who will offer you those on a unit by unit basis.

For the examined units you just need to find a centre to accept you as an external candidate to sit the CBA in the same way that any distance learner would have to.
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    coojee wrote: »
    You can take the examined units without a training provider but you need one for the assessed units. There are 2 of these at each level. The problem will be finding a provider who will offer you those on a unit by unit basis.

For the examined units you just need to find a centre to accept you as an external candidate to sit the CBA in the same way that any distance learner would have to.

both kaplan and bpp allow you to study on a unit by unit basis. Kaplan is cheaper for the assesement units, sometimes by as much a £50. BPP will also not charge external students to sit the exams (an extra fee i mean) you just pay the exam fee and away you go ( i think Kaplan do aswell but check with them first) . Both providers allow you just to buy their text books aswell.

Hope that helps!
  • mge
    mge Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
    Many thanks for the replies. They've been extremely helpful.

I found out that BPP charge £48 (this includes AAT fees) for external students to take a CBA at one of their centres, which seems fairly reasonable. Unfortunately it will take well over an hour to get to my nearest BPP centre, so I will first check whether it's possible to take them at my local college.
  • Support tutor
    Support tutor Registered Posts: 9 New contributor 🐸
    Registering with a centre

Hello,

During this period of change, it's strongly recommended to choose to study with a centre so that you can be kept completely up to date, as everything is new. As a centre, eagle education are still learning new things daily and we're working hard to keep up with the latest guidance and advice. We're altering guidance/advice and learning resources accordingly. And that includes publishers too! A centre can provide reassurance and give you confidence that you'll be adequately prepared for the new exams.

Good luck with your decision.

Sonya
Privacy Policy