Changing accounting period

spurschic1@yahoo.com
spurschic1@yahoo.com Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me?

A company currently has a year end 14 April and we'd like to change it to 30 April.

We have already completed accounts to 30 April and so would like to show a P&L/BS in full to 14 April and then show a nil P&L for the period 15 April-30 April.

Firstly is it ok to do that?

Secondly where it would normally say "for the year ended" would I be ok to put "for the period"

Thanks in advance!
Vicky

Comments

• Anne Boleyn
    Anne Boleyn Registered Posts: 196 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Company year end

Hi

I assume the company wants to change it's year end? If so you complete form AA01 which can be filed online, at Companies House, I believe and then if accepted you are able to file accounts to the new date. However I don't believe you can change a year end when it has passed.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Our company year end was 30 September 2009, in January 2010 the directors suddenly decided to change it to 31 March 2010 (after I'd finisihed all the final journals!).

I changed the accounting date online with Companies house in February 2010 without any problems and we're going to file an 18 month set of accounts.

The filing deadline moves forward in line with the new year end, too, so you don't need to rush to get the accounts filed to the previous filing deadline.
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me?

A company currently has a year end 14 April and we'd like to change it to 30 April.

We have already completed accounts to 30 April and so would like to show a P&L/BS in full to 14 April and then show a nil P&L for the period 15 April-30 April.

Firstly is it ok to do that?

Secondly where it would normally say "for the year ended" would I be ok to put "for the period"

Thanks in advance!
    Vicky

A company's year end (ARD) is at the month end by default at co House, unless someone has changed it to be mid-month (remember HMRC are separate and they might want a CT600 up to the 14th).
    The year end on the accounts is different to the Annual Return (AR01) made up date.

If the ARD needs changing at Co House, do what Anne said.

Either way, complete accounts, as you say "for the period" not "for the year", one set of accounts to show all the numbers (I wouldn't bother with a nil period for 15-30 Apr).

A CT600 can only be 12 months so assuming the period is 14apr 09 to 30 apr 10 (say), then you need one set of accounts for that period, and 2 CT600s, being 14 apr 09 - 13 apr 10 and then 14 apr 10 - 30 apr 10. You apportion the figures by days, don't split it into the actuals for those periods. (e.g. first CT600's numbers are 365/381 of the total and the second is 16/365 of the total).
Privacy Policy