Recommendation Presentation on Proposal Project at a Job Interview????

Options
anniem
anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
OK - this is a bit of a strange question, I know. But we have an advanced bunch of interview/recruitment gurus on here so I thought I'd ask you!

My husband has applied for a Farm Manager position and has been selected along with 3 others for an interview - on this basis we believe they would have selected the best 4 candidates.

Attached to the reporting instructions email for said interview, were 6 documents, totalling 35 pages outlining 2 different proposals for some projects which are being investigated and instructions that the candidates present your farm business management plan for this project they are also instructed to provide an assessment of the second proposal which is based on different information.

One of the quotes was only dated the same day as the email to the 4 selected candidates!! (Yet there wasn't any confidentiality clause or non-disclosure agreement attached, which I find strange)

I have to say that we have been through several 'initial reactions' to this;

1. Are they using the 4 best candidates for free consulting?
2. Is there really a job there?
3. The analysis they are wanting is going to be quite time consuming, therefore there should be some kind of time cost attached, should he provide an invoice for the work involved?
4. Is what they are doing within the realms of 'acceptable recruitment practice'?
5. They should bloody well know that it's the middle of harvest and any farmer worth his salt won't have time to sit and write reports!!!!!
6. There is only a week to do it in, which includes a bank holiday, and it's the middle of harvest!!!!!

Has anyone experienced similar demands for an interview?????

Your advice would be great. My only suggestion was a powerpoint presentation so that they don't actually have anything written down.

Anyway we think it's a bit odd and haven't come across this sort of situation before.
FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire

Comments

• blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    anniem wrote: »
    1. Are they using the 4 best candidates for free consulting?
    2. Is there really a job there?
    3. The analysis they are wanting is going to be quite time consuming, therefore there should be some kind of time cost attached, should he provide an invoice for the work involved?
    4. Is what they are doing within the realms of 'acceptable recruitment practice'?
    5. They should bloody well know that it's the middle of harvest and any farmer worth his salt won't have time to sit and write reports!!!!!
    6. There is only a week to do it in, which includes a bank holiday, and it's the middle of harvest!!!!!

I'll give my own personal thoughts on these:

1. Possibly.
    2. Possibly.
    3. If two is correct, invoicing will almost certainly see your husband get immediately rejected after all the hard effort put in. Some direct employers have very complicated application methods and the higher the level, responsibility and salary of the role, the more complex and time consuming they will become.
    4. They're not a recruitment agency and thus able to set their own application requirements and methods.
    5 & 6. I agree but if your husband seriously wants this role then some time sacrifices will need to be made and this will be a test of time management and prioritisation.

Good luck!
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    OK - thanks Robert.

I actually think that the company involved have displayed quite a lot of forethought in putting the interviews together, and I don't knock it at all - I was just interested to see if it is a legitimately acceptable task to set!

The bit about him invoicing was actually tongue-in-cheek; I'm concious that there are consultancy firms that would do what it being requested for a 'not inconsiderable' fee.

I do wonder what the basis for their appointment will be though. Have they already made their mind up and they want to see which candidate demonstrates what they are already thinking? We'll have to wait and see.

He is actually quite interested in the position and went to look at the site 2 hrs drive away before applying, so he'lll give it his best shot.
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
Privacy Policy