Warranties

PGM
PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
I recently bought another electrical device (from Comet), at they counter they spent so long trying to convince me how I should take additional warranty cover, as it could very well break and be expensive to repair.. At that point I felt like not buying the thing if it was such a liability..

Does anybody get the extra warranties? I never have, I think by the time you get everything covered, the monthly cost is so high it works out much cheaper saving that amount and just replacing whatever breaks?!

Comments

• Claire321
    Claire321 Registered Posts: 209 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I never tend to take out the extended warranty as I often feel it is unlikely that it will be used and I would rather take the chance.

They are always so keen to sell the extra warranty which gives me the impression they make a lot of money from these, and from working in retail in the past I suspect they receive a bonus/commission or have targets to meet from persuading customers to take these out.

Also, I've found some retails also offer a longer period of free guarantee if you check around.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    It's an easy way for them to make some money if I'm honest. In the end a lot of people forget they had the insurance running. I would advise against it. The only one I took out was on my netbook, as it was a display unit and I got two month's free on it. After two free months I made sure to end the insurance, as I don't need another money drain.

I also think if you just would put the money aside yourself on a monthly base, by the time it breaks, you got enough money for a new one anyways. (Depending on what it is obviously)
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I never take out extended warrantys either. Con if you ask me.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    jewels.p wrote: Β»
    Con if you ask me.

I agree. And that puts me off using local shops even more, if you can't rely on their service and advice whats the point? Will cut them out of the equation and shop online.
  • jewels.p
    The advantage of shopping local is if anything did go wrong you just go to the shop and get them to deal with it. Would it not be a lot more hassle if you bought it online and say in three months something did go wrong. Trying to get hold of someone who will do anything would be harder.
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Tend to agree with other posters about warranties - only ever taken one out years ago, when I was first married (30 + years ago) for a washing machine, it lasted into its teens with only a small repair needed due to old age (when the extended warranty had run out anyway).
    jewels.p wrote: Β»
    The advantage of shopping local is if anything did go wrong you just go to the shop and get them to deal with it.

I tend to shop locally if I can, but for me that means a local independant retailer. Our last TV was bought 16 years ago, when it went wrong within a few weeks (twice) our local shop replaced it. I doubt that would have happened with the likes of Comet/Curries etc
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I'll buy one based on brand quality and cost. With a relatively expensive product, if the cost of replacing in two or three years time far exceeds the warranty and there's a likelihood it may be used, I'll take one out. For instance , my last Sagem Freeview recorder cost Β£90 in 2008 but because it's such a shite brand, I suspected it'd eventually break within a year or two, so took out a twenty pound three year warranty. I cashed this in last month and got a new Freeview box so the warranty was justified.

I wouldn't take one out costing several hunderd pounds but would rather hunt for a brand that is so confident with the quality of its products that it offers free warranties, meaning I can spend more on the product itself. An example of this being, I bought my Samsung laptop from Argos this year and it came with a free three year Samsung warranty, free 3 years AVG protection plus carry bag and mouse. That was a particular bargain for Β£399.

Not all warranties are rip offs and you need to triangulate cost of warranty, brand quality & reputation (likelihood it will be used) and how much to replace from new.
  • LucyJ
    LucyJ Registered Posts: 72 Regular contributor ⭐
    My husband took out a warranty on our dishwasher from Currys 5 years ago and when it broke last year, we got vouchers for the cost of an equivalent dishwasher in todays market so we got more money in vouchers to replace it than we had actually paid for it! I was amazed.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I never bother with extended warranties. They are the same as any optional insurance - a gamble.

Aside from home contents insurance and the fully comp option on my car, I don't buy optional insurance. I think I've saved more over the years on premiums and fees than I've had to spend out on costs that would have been covered by the various insurances and warranties.
  • Jan
    "at they counter they spent so long trying to convince me how I should take additional warranty cover, as it could very well break and be expensive to repair"

They must be trained not to take no for an anwser and to offer it automatically. I was once asked if I wanted to take it out on a table lamp, so I asked "what could go wrong with that, don't think its worth it?" The lamp was half price so when it came up on the till he could see my point, insurance cost more.
  • jewels.p
    Jan wrote: Β»
    "at they counter they spent so long trying to convince me how I should take additional warranty cover, as it could very well break and be expensive to repair"

They must be trained not to take no for an anwser and to offer it automatically. I was once asked if I wanted to take it out on a table lamp, so I asked "what could go wrong with that, don't think its worth it?" The lamp was half price so when it came up on the till he could see my point, insurance cost more.

Jan whats with the phone booth?
  • Jan
    Pinched from another forum, do you not recognise the words or am I showing my age(and music tastes)!?

Thought it a bit different to North Yorkshire!
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    "If you don't answer I'll just ring it off the wall."

Young people today, eh, Jan :001_rolleyes:
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    I go to John Lewis because they throw in a free 5 year parts & labour (new for old)warantee with accidental damage cover. Strange how my stuff generally breaks after 4 1/2 years,lol.
Privacy Policy