Choosing accounting software

Mark 99
Mark 99 Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
I'm pleased to report that I got my new licence about a week ago, and already have one definitie client, together with one or two more likely ones. I have just been setting up a new computer at home, and am wondering what would be the best accounting software to install. I think there are some versions of Sage which allow multiple accounts (which could be used for work for different clients). Sage is pretty expensinve, but it could be a good investment.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Congrats on your practicing certificate!

Solar Accounts. Multi company, perfect for typical small clients. Free 60 day trial.

Don't bother with Sage, over priced, bloated software, it really isn't necessary, unless you really like it and want to line their fine-grade silk pockets.

20% discount here
    http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/offer/FARR4976
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Quickbooks Premier Accountant also does several companies and is easy to use.
  • BCASL
    BCASL Registered Posts: 64 Regular contributor ⭐
    I would HIGHLY recommend VT http://www.vtsoftware.co.uk/ it is brilliant, no limit to number of clients and it comes with final accounts production as well.
    Good luck!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I keep hearing good reports about VT!
  • Monsoon
    I've never used VT Transaction+ (which is the bookkeeping sotware referred to) but I have used VT Accounts Production for a number of years and it is really good, and excellent value for money. Both products are bought together.
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor 🐘
    BCASL wrote: Β»
    I would HIGHLY recommend VT http://www.vtsoftware.co.uk/ it is brilliant, no limit to number of clients and it comes with final accounts production as well.
    Good luck!

Agreed
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I have used VT Final Accounts for years and only looked at VT Transaction (the bookkeeping program) when a new client came to me already using it.

I have to say it is absolutely fabulous. So quick and easy to use. Cannot fault it.
  • dantray
    dantray Registered Posts: 72 Regular contributor ⭐
    hi,

do any of these packages offer decent payroll features, i.e. payslip,P60,P45 and P11d generation?

i've been looking at quickbooks that has this stuff and is also compatible with online filing with HMRC - at the minute i think this is the one i'll go with pending licence approval but have no experience with them. At work I'm used to sage which i feel is too expensive for a new MIP.
  • mc25
    mc25 Registered Posts: 232 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Payroll

For payroll I would recommend payroll manager, very easy to use and good value for money. Good luck
  • Monsoon
    Moneysoft always gets a thumbs up on payroll. We use 12Pay which is brilliant.
  • deanshepherd
    Moneysoft Payroll Manager for me too.
  • jay z
    jay z Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Accounting software

Guys, I sympathise with u all!! I m also on the verge of going MIP. I have been dithering over which Package to go for. I have come to the conclusion that sage is worth going for. Why?
    1- professional
    2- multi features pack
    2- better plate form for next generation of accounting packages
    4- good image from Accountants you seek sub contracts work on behalve of their customers.

peace.!!!
  • Monsoon
    jay z wrote: Β»
    Guys, I sympathise with u all!! I m also on the verge of going MIP. I have been dithering over which Package to go for. I have come to the conclusion that sage is worth going for. Why?
    1- professional
    2- multi features pack
    2- better plate form for next generation of accounting packages
    4- good image from Accountants you seek sub contracts work on behalve of their customers.

peace.!!!

While this might be true for some people, it really isn't true for many more than you'd think.

Here are a sample of threads on Sage vs VT, along with others on what accountants really think of Sage:

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/anyanswers/sage-or-vt
    http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/anyanswers/sage-are-useless
    http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/anyanswers/sage-vs-vt
    http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/anyanswers/why-negativity-against-sage
    http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/anyanswers/why-sage-why-do-accountants-books-kept-sage

It's worth reading (even skim reading) through these to get away from the misconception that many accountants like sage. In my experience, most modern accountants really aren't bothered with it. Some like it, but plenty don't!
  • Mark 99
    Mark 99 Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
    Accounting Software

Thank you for some of the ideas raised here. I'll certainly investigate VT and Solar.

One connected question - bear in mind I'm completely new to working as a MIP - how often will a client have particular software which they've been using for some time and want the MIP to use? Or is it usually the MIP's choice?
  • Monsoon
    Mark its totally random. Some clients have been on their software for years and see no need to change, others are brand new and may go with whatever you recommend. Some may switch on your advice, sometimes with little or sometimes lots of encouragement!
  • cobbles
    cobbles Registered Posts: 30 Regular contributor ⭐
    I have also been using VT for bookkeeping and final accounts for a couple of years now, I recommend this to all my bookkeeping clients, If new clients are already using an accounting package I using advise them to use VT after their financial year end (they pay for own user licence Β£199) but if the client is not using any software I use my own purchased VT, I have found that after a few months the client respects your views and are happy to change accounting packages on my advice.
  • deanshepherd
    VT Transaction is only Β£125.

Β£199 is for the full suite which presumably your clients wouldn't need.
  • bumblebee
    bumblebee Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    VT software

Hi guys, i am looking for the right software too. Although never heard of VT or Solar before, wont mind considering these. dont like Sage.
  • Monsoon
    Hi guys, i am looking for the right software too. Although never heard of VT or Solar before, wont mind considering these. dont like Sage.

Both are great, well worth a look.
  • Andy Blyth
    Andy Blyth Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    I've always found Sage to be very good, but the best I've used is Iris. Both very expensive though.

Avoid MYOB products (now CCH) at all costs. That is what I unfortunately have to use at work and it's absolutely full of problems. You have been warned.

I've never found Quickbooks or Tasbooks to be very helpful either.
  • deanshepherd
    MYOB products (now CCH)

CCH? I though they were taken over by Mamut?

Either way, I agree. MYOB is very difficult. I have a lot of MAC users and it was very popular as a cross-platform piece of software. Glad it's gone to be honest!
  • Andy Blyth
    CCH? I though they were taken over by Mamut?

No, they were definitely taken over by CCH. The accounts software is now called CCH Accounts Production.
  • deanshepherd
    Not according to this.
  • Monsoon
    Accounts production is different from accounting/bookkeeping software.

MYOB was the latter and indeed was bought by Mamut (to much grumbling, I believe!).

Accounts production software (such as VT, CCH, Digita etc) takes a TB and turns it into a set of statutory accounts.

Accounting/bookkeeping software will have reporting functions but the PL/BS are rarely in statutory format for Ltd Companies (and often unsuitable for sole traders/partnerships either, in terms of accountant-produced year end accounts).
  • bumblebee
    bumblebee Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Do VT software work out tax? i.e Self assessment and business tax?
  • Monsoon
    Do VT software work out tax? i.e Self assessment and business tax?

No. You need something else for that, like FTax or TaxCalc.

More expensive products that are integrated, like Digita or Iris, will have modules that do both.
  • Andy Blyth
    I didn't realise we were distinguishing between accounts production software and bookkeeping software. I was speaking in more general terms.

Anyway, here is the takeover of MYOB's accounting arm by CCH.

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/item/181514

The other part of their business may well have been taken over by someone else since, I don' know.
  • dantray
    dantray Registered Posts: 72 Regular contributor ⭐
    What are peoples preferences with regards to tax software, and what would you recommend to a start-up MIP?

thanks
    dan
Privacy Policy