The Waiting Game

Beautiful_bobo
Beautiful_bobo Registered Posts: 106 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Morning All

Been at work for 2 hours now, waiting to be told if I am being made redundant or not...

I just want it over and out the way so at least I know one way or the other...

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Aww have everything crossed for you
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Same here!
  • Beautiful_bobo
    Waiting Over

Many Thanks all.....

My job is safe for now. But my manager has lost his job sadly, its going to be interesting as there is only 2 of us in the accounts department and now there will only be 1 (Me). I shall try and use it to my advanage, pick up any knowledge learn as much as possible so when I have to go it will be good for me....when I move on to another role.
  • A-Vic
    Its a horrible time overall but glad your safe for now, def try to gain as much experience as possible while you can and always have something lined up in case
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Many Thanks all.....

My job is safe for now. But my manager has lost his job sadly, its going to be interesting as there is only 2 of us in the accounts department and now there will only be 1 (Me). I shall try and use it to my advanage, pick up any knowledge learn as much as possible so when I have to go it will be good for me....when I move on to another role.
    That's a good attitude to have. Was just wondering, are you in the public sector?
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Really pleased you still have your job! ;)
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Rinske
    Glad to hear you still got your job! :)
  • Beautiful_bobo
    No my role is not in the public sector, the company rely mainly on the building sector as they do site investigation before any building work commences, that has taken a bit of a nose dive at the moment.....

Feeling more positive....
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    ...its going to be interesting as there is only 2 of us in the accounts department and now there will only be 1 (Me).

So who's going to provide cover for you when you're taking your statutory holiday allowance? Sounds a good opportunity to make yourself almost indispensable!
  • Beautiful_bobo
    That is a good question, I do not think they have thought about that.......watch this space, they also want me to do HR work as they made the HR department redundant.
  • A-Vic
    with all the extra work load have you proposed or negoiated a pay increase aswell?
  • Rinske
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    with all the extra work load have you proposed or negoiated a pay increase aswell?
    Sounds like you should get it!
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I will be surprised if there is a pay rise involved, as if they are trying to cut costs they might not be keen on giving one. They will probably just think BeautifulBobo should be grateful to still have a job! Bad but true don't you think?
  • Sazzler
    Sazzler Registered Posts: 8 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Be careful how much you end up taking on or getting put on you. I was in the same situation earlier in the year working under one person. She got made redundant and I am now doing payroll, personnel, health and safety as well as all the accounts work. I haven't had any extra money for this, although as they are cutting costs I suppose that defeats the object, I got no training for a lot of it and I certainly don't get any recognition of the fact that I am covering 2 peoples work and having to work longer hours to do it.

I hear what people are saying about being lucky to have a job, but after 6 months of working like a loon, I aren't so sure!!
  • Sazzler
    So who's going to provide cover for you when you're taking your statutory holiday allowance? Sounds a good opportunity to make yourself almost indispensable!

And being indispensable isn't all its cracked up to be either, I took 2 weeks holiday at the beginning of August to be told on my return that I cannot take 2 weeks together at any time of year, I cannot take any time off in the first or last weeks of any month and really it would be better if I didn't take any holidays at all as the firm cannot tolerate absence now.

And thats virtually the bosses exact words, it really makes you feel warm inside that you are running yourself into the ground for absolutely no appreciation at all. I suppose it could be worse, he could have asked me to pay him for the privilege of coming in!!
  • Rinske
    Sounds horrible to me!

I think in that case you should be really looking around for something else, but the problem is getting time off to arrange the interviews! However at least it does pay the bills...

Seriously though, at that point I would consider either walking out or just doing the hours I'm paid for and if the boss complaints about it, well too bad, find someone else to clean up the crap.

You are entitled to your holiday and should be given the opportunity to take those days as far as I'm concerned.
  • Beautiful_bobo
    That had crossed my mind, when my boss was stuck in Australia for two months the pressure and grief I got was incredible and it caused no end of stress for me and I can see the same happening again. i am waiting for someone to come down from our parent company and get her to tell me what they expect me to do. My other concern i that they remove all the financial role of my job and I do just administration work, then doing the AAT I need a financial role. i have started applying for other jobs with more money, so you never know.......
  • Sazzler
    I do more admin now than accounts and because there is no one here senior to me in accounts, I don't get any support at all with my studies. From a career development point I aren't getting anywhere in this role and I really don't like it. Its not forced to be the case for you, but my experience of taking on other roles to help the firm cut costs has not been pleasant and I too am looking for another position.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I was in a similar position a few years ago - the infamous double glazing company: some on here might remember that? - when the main company accountant left and I was suddenly elevated to a position I wasn't skilled or ba5tard enough to do at the time. Assuming sole financial "responsibility" for a company controlling the lives of twenty "innocent" people while the directors were thieving tens of thousands (thinking I didn't know what was happening - I did) led to months of creative accounting, sleepless nights and severe stress, eventually leading to the breakup of my personal relationship at the time. One of the directors used to be an old time friend so there was kind of an obligation but we haven't spoken to each since then.

It was a relief when it was all over, we inevitably became insolvent and I finally felt "released". Sad that it cost so much though.
  • Sazzler
    I do think its really irresponsible for firms to cut staff to balance their books without considering the personal impact they are having on staff that are left. Only this week my boss has been considering cutting someone else and when I asked who would do their work he said well so and so can stay late and take work home. Yes but so and so has a small child at home and may not want to work 24/7. There seems to be a massive assumption at my place that we all want to give our all to keep the company afloat no matter what the cost to us.

I don't, I work to live, I work hard when I am here but I want a job not a lifestyle!
Privacy Policy