Ecr

emma123
emma123 Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Just wondering for those doing this module in november, how are you all finding it? I'm distance learning so don't get to talk to anyone face to face about it lol

Comments

• BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hey, I did this unit in February and i found it sooooo difficult. Fortunately I passed, but only by the skin of my teeth! I have the same dilemma as you, being distance learning and therefore not having anyone to bounce ideas, re revision etc, around with. ECR, I think, is the type of unit that needs to just be continually revised and read through, until it sticks! Alot of past exam papers also helped me!

Good Luck in your exams!

Becca
  • anniebabe
    anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I am struggling too - also got paper exam in November
    Can only manage the first section of the exam papers at the moment - and thats with the help of my books.
    Havent even looked at Limited factors and stuff yet.
    No time for panicking - just need to study like mad.
  • donnas1977
    donnas1977 Registered Posts: 182 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I have just started this as well, exam is Dec, can honestly say I hate it, spend an hour looking at a question and answer and eventually worked out how they come to it. we have only just covered the over/under absorption stuff in class . I plan to spend all weekend going over what we have done so far to try get head around it
  • anniebabe
    I have to go over everything when I get home from class too. But struggling this week cause cant get in college - had an operation on my foot. So have printed all the exam papers off and started working through all the section 1s - to make sure ive understood everything we have done so far. Limited Factors and stuff look complicated, got confused at the breakeven arithmetic, so havent got a clue how I am going to pass! not happy. but got to try.
  • donnas1977
    i cant find any past papers for it, i did find the revision pack on engage site and looked at that and freaked out .
  • emma123
    I am struggling too - also got paper exam in November
    Can only manage the first section of the exam papers at the moment - and thats with the help of my books.
    Havent even looked at Limited factors and stuff yet.
    No time for panicking - just need to study like mad.

I'm the exact same annie - i can only manage the first section. I'm off work 2moro so I'm gonna stuck like mad. I need to concentrate on limited factors big time and do loads of practice on section 2 past papers. I get so confused sometimes cos it feels like there are so many topics
  • anniebabe
    I know how you feel Emma - dont think were on our own either.
  • anniebabe
    @Donnas
    Exam papers are defo on the AAT website - only printed them the other day - think the layout of the site has changed a bit - but they are there. if you cant find can pdf em to you.
    when you log in to the AAT website - look to the left - near where you pay for the paper exams.
  • anniebabe
    Guys I also found this link today - it may help - it helped me today work through the dec 09 paper.

http://financial.kaplan.co.uk/trainingandquals/accountancy/aat/currently-studying-aat/pages/exam-tutor-debriefs-december-2009.aspx
  • donnas1977
    am just watching that link, now, thanks for that. I found all the past papers after you send some across so will get get on looking at them, am praying after revision weekend which is very soon, it all clicks into place.
  • anniebabe
    ahh! glad you found it all. good luck luck with the revision weekend. I am revisiting job costing onwards from today - I hope the penny drops with me to - sooner than later. have a good day.
  • emma123
    is there any1 else apart from us 3 doing ecr?? lol
  • amyjayne27
    amyjayne27 Registered Posts: 314 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi,

I have just started this unit and I am really really struggling. I have only worked through the 1st chapter and I am confused already! I am home learning and to be honest I am really lacking any motivation at the moment to do it, thinking in the back of my mind is it even worth it. :-(

Good luck with it, I'm sure I will be posting questions on here shortly!

Amy
  • emma123
    how's ecr going?
  • donnas1977
    Morning Emma

its going so so, cannot get my head around process costing when it comes to opening and closing stock :(. had revision weekend just past and other stuff i was struggling with has kind of came together. how you finding it?

Donna
  • freck59
    freck59 Registered Posts: 39 Regular contributor โญ
    I'm studying this and am really struggling too! I'm looking at the June 2010 exam (Total Recall memory sticks) and am ok on part 1 (just) but part 2.... I'm stuffed I reckon. :(

I'm working on the theory that any of the questions asked recently won't be asked again so I've tried to look at older exams but each time I click on them I get an error message.

I've emailed AAT and got an automated response saying they'll reply to me with 10 to 12 days...!

Can anyone find any other way of getting the older exams so I can print those off? I've got back to Dec 07.

The only way I'm going to get through this is to do exams on a daily basis in the vague hope that something will sink in and hopefully it'll be relevant to the exam on the day!

Oh and computer based assessment ... deep joy!
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    hello

I would suggest all of you to do at least 4 past papers looking into the answers at the same time as if they would be examples and understand them

Then two days later try to do the same papers without looking see how much you can do without getting stuck

then revise what you got wrong/got stuck

then two days later try them again

then try the rest of the past papers

ECR is very methodic so do not worry about the numbers/figures you get but undestand the process to work them out is the most important thing . once this is mastered the rest will follow ....use common sense.

Last year i took the dec 09 exam and i had only started to study it after i came back from my honeymoon on actually a day like today 16/11. I had home learning college books which most of you know are crap and also no tutor whatsoever but people here helped if i got stuck

IF i could do it YOU can do it

Just plan your days and stick to it!!!

If you need any help please ask!
  • tillytots
    tillytots Registered Posts: 14 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Hi. I am distance learning and I am taking my exam in November. Sometimes it seems to take ages for it to sink in. Its section 2 that I seem to get muddled with. Panic setting in!
  • donnas1977
    am the same on section 2. section 1 i feel comfortable with yet tried a past paper last night and couldn't remember how to get the fixed costs when you are presented with the semi variable costs. Panic is definitely setting in. Head down constantly over next few weeks to try get things to stick in mind.
  • emma123
    From what I can see, we definitely need to revise:
    fifo/lifo/avco
    calculating direct labour and overtime premium
    allocation/apportionment
    marginal and absorption costing

then in section 2:
    schedule of budgeted production costs
    break even/margin of safety/contribution
    limiting factors
    process costing

Process costing is what I find trickiest. Was looking through all the past papers last nite and it hasn't been asked in a lot of them but knowing my luck it'll come up in nov!

Any1 got anything to add to my list?
  • donnas1977
    I think that pretty much covers it. process costing is my biggest nightmare, and their wasnt much on the kaplan revision books either.
  • emma123
    I'm dreading getting a paper like Dec 09. I found it the hardest of them all :(
  • donnas1977
    i hate that one too, had to look loads at the answers, see on the june 2010 paper, task 2.1. for the direct materials cost at 50,000 sticks, what did you get. I got 10,000 yet the answer gives it as 9700. the way i calculated was taking the direct materials cost of 6,000 divide by 30,000 gives u 0.2 then x by the no of sticks made.
  • emma123
    i hate that one too, had to look loads at the answers, see on the june 2010 paper, task 2.1. for the direct materials cost at 50,000 sticks, what did you get. I got 10,000 yet the answer gives it as 9700. the way i calculated was taking the direct materials cost of 6,000 divide by 30,000 gives u 0.2 then x by the no of sticks made.

At 50,000 sticks, I got ยฃ8,800 which was the same as the answer on myAAT?

There's a discount of 15% in excess of those needed for 40,000 sticks. So my calc was:

At 40,000 there was ยฃ8,000 (6,000/30,000 x 40,000)

At 50,000 15% x 8,000 = 1,200 then 8,000/40,000 = 0.2 x 50,000 = ยฃ10,000 (ie the 10,000 you got)

10,000 less 1,200 = 8,800

what u think?
  • emma123
    Just realised my answer might be wrong. Arggggggggghhhhhh! If it is, then i'm lost!
  • donnas1977
    Hi Emma

In the question it tells you that TRL receives a discount of 15% on any extra direct materials purchases in excess of those required for 40,000 memory sticks.

I got my answers as as i forgot to calculate the 15% discount.

Memory sticks made 30,000, 40,000 50,000
    Direct materials ยฃ6,000 ยฃ8,000 ยฃ10,000

This being 6,000/3000 gives you a unit cost of 0.2 unit cost for direct materials then multiply by the number of sticks made.

Yet the answer on the paper is

Memory sticks made 30,000 40,000 50,000
    Direct materials ยฃ6,000 ยฃ8,000 ยฃ9,700

I cant work out how they get the 9700 โ€“ any ideas? I thought maybe 15% on the direct material unit cost, but then I get my answer to ยฃ8500 for the direct materials for 50,000 sticks

Donna
  • donnas1977
    Hi Emma

Got it, the difference in material costs between 30,000 and 40,000 memory sticks is 2000. The 15% discount is on this, giving you a discounted total of ยฃ1700. Add this to the 8,000 materials cost for 40,000 giving you the 9,700 direct materials cost of 50,000.

Donna
  • emma123
    Hi Emma

Got it, the difference in material costs between 30,000 and 40,000 memory sticks is 2000. The 15% discount is on this, giving you a discounted total of ยฃ1700. Add this to the 8,000 materials cost for 40,000 giving you the 9,700 direct materials cost of 50,000.

Donna

ah cheers Donna! :) i would never have gotten that in the exam!
Privacy Policy