Quick Hello and advice saught

Options
Parmstrong83
Parmstrong83 Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
Firstly I just wanted to say Hello!

I did have an account under the old forum but my username seems to have been deleted, oh well. I am also an active member on the accountancystudents forum, but that seems to be very low traffic of late.

My name is Patrick and am a new MAAT, I am currently studying CIMA with a view to moving into a Management Accounts role later on. I am currently working in Sales Ledger but actively trying to get into a more varied role. I have tried applying for several accounts assistant/asst management accountant roles but never seem to make it to interview.

I currently work for a large FTSE150 company and I have a feeling this may be putting SME’s off giving me an interview. I really want to try do something to make myself more attractive to these kinds of business, it is because of this I am considering doing a SAGE course. I had considered the IAB level 3 Computerised Accounts, that way I can add a few extra letters after my name as well as gaining SAGE knowledge. I am just wondering how fruitful this exercise would be and how valuable the qualification will be to me, especially considering I would be studying CIMA at the same time (dropping to one exam per session until Sage completed).

I am going to be attending my first CPD and branch meeting on Monday at the Suffolk Branch, as it is on Cashflows I hope this will help me with my revision for CIMA. I am also hoping that I will be able to meet a few people and find out how they developed themselves from a newly qualified MAAT. I am quite a shy, quiet person and am a little nervous about just turning up for the meeting but am sure it will be ok.

Any help, advice, tips that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    Personally I don't think Sage courses are all they are cracked up to be but that's just my opinion. I would concentrate more on completing CIMA to have a higher level qualification behind you.

Although you can be taught the theory behind Sage it isn't always easy to take this into practice and many of the functions simply aren't used in most small businesses.

I've never been on a Sage course, I simply borrowed a copy a long time ago and played with it and learned all that was necessary.

It's tough out there at the moment looking for new roles, I recently placed an advert for a maternity cover part time vacancy and got in excess of 50 applications. One possible thing could be to review your CV and give it a bit of an update / makeover. Robert (Blobbyh) has done it a few times on here so may be able to help.

I wish you the best in finding what you want, but my advice would be to concentrate on CIMA for now rather than the Sage course and just keep looking and applying.
    Regards,

Burg
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I have to agree with Ian, I did some Sage courses, ok it was a long time ago but I could have learnt what they showed me from the manual. It didn't seem to impress prospective employers though, stock to CIMA and save your money.
  • Parmstrong83
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies, I had suspected this was the case and just wanted it reaffirmed.

I know it's just a case of plugging away at it and keep applying for those roles, I don't expect for things to come easy for me and am willing to put the work in for it. I just hope one day someone recognises that and gives me a chance.

Until then I will try do everything I can to make me stand out from the rest, I have recently updated my CV and am getting contacted almost weekly from agencies who have found me on Monster.com.

I think I may peruse Sage still as a lot of adverts I am seeing ask for this, but looking at this I may just do this directly through Sage. It costs £145 a level and includes certification at the end.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    If you feel that the Sage course can help with what you are seeking then thats your choice and it can't be a wrong one. I wouldn't however hold back on your CIMA (you say you are only doing 1 exam now due to the Sage course) as this will have more value to you and to potential employers.

Best of luck
    Regards,

Burg
  • Parmstrong83
    Options
    thanks for the reply Ian.

I think you are right, CIMA is the obvious thing that is really going to help my career. I just feel like I need to do something to make me 'different' from the other 1000 MAAT's out there looking for a better role.

My biggest fear is becoming over qualified and under expierenced.

Really looking forward to my CPD event on monday now, have been having a few issues with Cash Flows so am hoping it will be helpful.
Privacy Policy