remembering formulas

anniebabe
anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor 🐘
Does anyone else have any problems with remembering all the formulas in Unit 6, breakeven, profit volume ratio, margin of safety - the list goes on, and the exam is in 6 weeks, havent even looked at limited factors yet!!!
Any suggestions to remembering them all.
Also - does anyone know if we need to learn the layout of the manufacturing account. proft and loss etc like for FRA. does it crop up in the simulation and exam?
Really struggling with this unit.

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Get a marker pen. Write each formula on a piece of A5 paper. Get some blu tack. Stick the formulae on a wall you see a lot.

There is something about seeing them regularly and repeatedly that helps them sink in better. Don't try and memorise them every time you look at them (but by all means do it sometimes) but just notice them a lot. Worked for me, both for GCSE physics and AAT exams!
  • anniebabe
    will try it - thanks.
  • donnas1977
    donnas1977 Registered Posts: 182 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    i have started a sheet that every time a formula pops up in notes, I write it on this so i can have them to hand to keep looking at. cant say its working very well so far :(
  • anniebabe
    i am struggling to - 6 weeks isnt long enough - unless the penny drops soon.
  • anniebabe
    hmmmm at the verge of giving up now. sooo depressing.
  • Lou1234
    Lou1234 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I put them on little index cards and carried them around with me! I put the forumla on one side and what it was for on the other side. Then I could test myself when sitting on the tube or whenever I felt like it!

These are the cards I got as they are really small to carry around and on a keyring:

http://www.ryman.co.uk/1303040125/Krammers-Blank-Study-Cards-on-Keyring-Pack-of-2/Product
  • anniebabe
    thank you for the advise.
  • donnas1977
    donnas1977 Registered Posts: 182 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    oh thats a good idea, think i might invest in them and give that a try
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Same as Monsoon. I typed them all in a giant size font onto several sheets of A4 and stuck them all over the place. Walls - both work and home - , in the toilet, on the ceiling for when I first woke up!!! Then when you get into the exam, make sure they're the first things you write down.

Some things you just have to do the hard way and you can only learn by continually doing them, learning the layout and why (i.e. P&L and balance sheet - or whatever they're called these days!).
  • Andy Blyth
    Andy Blyth Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    I find the best thing to do is to list out all the formulae you need to know on a piece of paper, give it to someone else and get them to ask you them.

You'll get stuck on quite a few at first, but keep going and going at it, and you'll soon find you can reel them off like nobody's business.

If you've got someone willing to ask you the formulae, its a really good way to learn.

There's looking over and over them and thinking you know them, but actually recalling them when you don't have your piece of paper to help you soon identifies the ones you need to do more work on.
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    i recorded myself saying them and then put it on my ipod - used it at night and voila!! well it did work for me, i also wrote them down and abbreviated them so cost of sales would become COS, i would then ask my kids to test me on them, over and over, just like i test them on times tables etc.

also as soon as you get into the exam, write them all down, you do have 15 minutes reading and it is recommended you use it for reading, but for a minute just write all what you can down, when you come to the question later on, you will have them wrote down already.

worked for me - hope they work for you

Tracy
Privacy Policy