How many of you is an "old fashion" practice?

Londina
Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
I'm just wondering...I'm working in a practice where they tend to do everything manually using excel (and even just paper and calculator) and the minimun on the accounting software....I don't understand it..

For example, they want me to post all the sales invoices into excel (creating basically a sales day book) and then post them into SAGE afterwards...

or doing a VAT return before in excel and then run it on SAGE...

or do full (and endless) bank reconcilation manually...

Why bother doing a double job when there is a computerised system that can speed up the whole process?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against of work done in excel, actually it is really useful, but I think it should be used as support of the main accounting software? Maybe because my practice is run by ACA/ACCA qualified in their 50s, they tend to not use the computer and do things in a traditional way?

What about you, new MIPs, how much do you do manually in your job?

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Further to what we have discussed...

I worked in a practice that was a little old fashioned but the new partner was forward thinking. Compared to the others there I was more embracing towards technology and wanted to use excel to speed up 'paper jobs'. Myself and the new partner used our excel skills together to come up with standardised working papers that meant job times could easily be cut. Others weren't very embracing but together we managed to cut job times by at least half. I'm quite a fast worker but most of the others were pretty slow stuck in their old fashioned ways and it made me look fast.

As you rightly point out Excel is very powerful and can be used for most jobs very effectively. As for posting though into excel then into Sage and then I assume into accounts production software from there then that really isn't making the most of time and resources.

Some software such as Digita and Iris you could simply post straight to the accounts production software and avoid excel altogether if it's a simple bank job with little workings. This though could be one step to far (others may disagree) as your working papers can be limited.

Now running a paperless office the only manual thing I tend to do is scanning. I do everything where possible on Excel or an Accounts software as it enables things to be replicated next time rather than starting afresh on paper.

I'm not sure how others do things but a good question as I'm sure we can all improve our efficiency somewhere.
    Regards,

Burg
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I have worked with Excel whilst setting up new Sage systems, as theres a lot of import/export options to Excel. But never for entering the same thing twice.

Could be worth investingating the import options!
  • bumblebee
    bumblebee Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    My place used to very laid back and 'old fashioned'. Most accounts were until now done manually and re-entered on computer to work out tax, although some are still typed on word!, but we have new partners now who are improving thing here and are forward thinkers. I suppose its easier for small business wher there is not much to analyse, but i prefer the technology.
Privacy Policy