Missing VAT purchases receipts

Options
Ratty
Ratty Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
Hello! This is my first post and hope someone can help. I have had the company credit card statement through but the MD has lost the receipts for some of the items on there. I know I can't claim back the VAT without a valid VAT receipt, but should the purchases still go on the VAT receipt or should they be left off completely? I can't seem to find a definate answer to this one anywhere.

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    What I do:

In the absence of a valid VAT receipt, don't reclaim the VAT.
    However, if it's obvious from the business card statement that it was a business expense, I put the cost through gross to the relevant expense account. I think it would be a picky inspector who wouldn't allow that.

Make sure you put it in writing to the client that they do need to keep receipts, and VAT receipts if they want to reclaim the VAT. Because of the new penalty regime, it's far more risky to claim VAT back without the receipt even if it's obvious they paid VAT on it.
  • Ratty
    Ratty Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Thank you for that - exactly as I thought. However, do you code it as a T9 on SAGE so that it does not appear in box 7 of the VAT return, or would you code it as say a T0 or T2 so that you are not claiming VAT back but that the gross amount is still included in the box 7 figure?
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Personally I use T0 as you need it to appear as a good or service in box 7
  • lgarside
    lgarside Registered Posts: 122 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    VAT Receipts

I just wanted to check that it's ok to claim VAT back from copy invoices. I have a lot of scenarios where things paid on the company creditcard aren't supported with a VAT receipt/invoice but upon calling the company they send a copy invoice.

Also have a similar situation where Direct debits debit the bank account but the invoices have been lost in the post/or are on someones desk!! Again in this instance can you call the company and claim the VAT back from a copy invoice or can you ony claim from an original receipt/invoice?
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    lgarside wrote: »
    I just wanted to check that it's ok to claim VAT back from copy invoices. I have a lot of scenarios where things paid on the company creditcard aren't supported with a VAT receipt/invoice but upon calling the company they send a copy invoice.

Also have a similar situation where Direct debits debit the bank account but the invoices have been lost in the post/or are on someones desk!! Again in this instance can you call the company and claim the VAT back from a copy invoice or can you ony claim from an original receipt/invoice?
    You can claim VAT back on copy invoices, we are always having to get copies from people and have never had any problems working for NHS we are audited every 3 months. As long as the copy is an exact copy as it has to have company heading etc.
    Hope this helps!
Privacy Policy