Thinking about cancelling exam

anniebabe
anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor 🐘
Well! at this point, with 4 days to cancel exam - with chance of a refund.
I am seriously thinking about not doing the ECR exam.
Only 5 weeks and I still havent got a clue what I am doing.
Due to ill health havent managed to get to college for short and Long Term decission making - which as far as I can see makes up half of the paper, gutted as really need to pass the paper exam this time. Really dont like the look of those computer exams, and really dont want to do another 3 units that I dont need to.
Soooo fed up and wondering why I am bothering. cant even be bothered panicking about it all now.
Just feeling a bit glum to say the least!
Was hoping I would have a chance of passing, but time is running out - fast, and no lesson till next Wednesday.

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    5 weeks is a long time for studying, could get enough done to pass.

If I was you I'd sit the exam and treat it as a practice one, if you pass then great, if not you just do it in June but going in with a head start.
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    as PGM has said - 5 weeks is a long time. you will get it, believe me. Just keep reading and doing old papers. it will click evenually. do past papers and concentrate on the bits you are failing, read and re-read those parts.

you will be fine and you will kick yourself if youdo not sit it. i have booked and not turned up to exams, and after reading the exams and the answers, i could easily have passed the exam.

do it, you know you want to.

Tracy
  • anniebabe
    I know you guys are right, but keep waking up thinking about whether or not its too late and if I should cancel. Its driving me potty.
    I know that if I cancel it this week and I go to college and it all sticks - I will kick myself.
    Think I just need to give myself a kick up the bottom and get on with it.
  • jane
    jane Registered Posts: 165 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Please dont cancel, you can do it, I totally agree with the other posts, you will really really kick yourself. 5 weeks is a long time, and I know if you just keep doing past papers from now till then, i predict you will do it. Go for it.
  • anniebabe
    Hi Jane
    I know everyones probably right, its just bugging me a bit now for all the other exams I have done, everything has run pretty smooth and by this point I have finished the sylabus and been confident ive known what I am doing. This Unit has just been a rush and a bit of a shambles all round! still havent moved onto long term decission making - just hope it isnt a big chapter with loads of formulas etc..
    How are you doing with it? arent you doing the paper exam too?
    Ive ended up with an old xmas card holder up in my room with all the formulas hanging from it, lol, - one of the washing line type ones lol - anything to help it sink in.
  • jane
    Hi Anniebabe

No i'm not sitting the exam, as i did it 5/6 years ago. I am studying for the simualtion as i never did it!! Silly me, should have just done it straight after the exam while everything was still fresh in the old brain!!!!
    I am battling to remember how to work stuff out, but am planning to do loads of past papers until it starts making sense again. I have sticky notes plastered all over the bedroom wall, my husband commented on what lovely wall paper it would make!! I plan on sitting the sim this side of Xmas, so i must pull my finger out!!!
    Please don't give up, cos i'm not i won't let it get the better of me.
    Happy studying

Jane
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Annie,

I have been just where you are. I nearly didn't put in for a Costing exam back at Technician level because I just plain didn't get it, and I felt that there was no point in taking an exam if I just didn't have a clue.

Luckily I did enter the exam as a few weeks before hand it just clicked - and as you said if you're not entered and then this happen you will kick yourself! So don't give up, put in for the exam, I'm sure you know a lot more than you do and 5 weeks is a long time, you will get it.

Best of luck :)
    xx
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Annie,

I started studying MAC 6 weeks before the December exam, amazingly I passed.

You can do it, just think how p*ssed off you'll be if you cancel then see the paper and realise you could have done it. You can't waste all the effort ypuve already put in and
    don't forget you don't have to get 100% marks.

Good luck
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Things are so flexible now, you should see when the next chance to sit is.
    In the days of paper based exams in December and June you had a long wait if you pulled out of one.
    Now you can pick your own time almost.
    We had a student who decided to go to the Isle of Wight festival, so rather than sit her exam with the rest of the class she took it 2 or 3 weeks later when she was ready.

Exams can be stressful, but not feeling in control is very stressful. Why not decide when you want to sit your exam and then prepare based on your decision? The sense of being in control will be a big help.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • anniebabe
    Thanks for all your messages.
    I am not letting this ECR exam beat me - need to be more positive and just go for it.

Thanks again guys. x
  • jane
    Hi Sandy Hood

Sorry if my question seems ignorant. But you say that a person can now choose when they want to do a computer based exam, where as before there was two sittings, June and December for the old standards paper based. How does this work with people doing home study. Where are they supposed to get access to do the exams? When I get to Technician level I do plan on going to college rather than home study which is what I am doing at the moment, think t would make my life a little easier.
    Thanks
    Jane
  • donnas1977
    donnas1977 Registered Posts: 182 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Hi Annie

don't give up, I feel the same as you especially on section 2 of the papers, am hoping once revision weekend has been it all clicks into place and just constantly going to go over papers between now and exam.

Donna
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Jane
    The question of choice will vary from provider to provider. Colleges with low numbers may have to set the dates and stick to them, but other colleges can be very flexible. In our case, if we have a 28 terminal room with 25 level 2 students doing one test, we can fit 3 more from any of the other unit exams.

It may be a useful question to raise when you are selecting a college for your level 4 studies.

Sandy
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • jane
    Thanks for that Sandy Hood

Much appreciated.

Jane
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    Jane....you can do it so dont give up!!!

I was ready to give up and i didnt (thanks to all the good vibes received from here!)

I sat ECR last December in TWO Weeks prior to the exams- i didnt have a tutor and was on my own studying ....i just decided that i would pass it ....

So i read the book (mind you from HLC plenty of errors) and i did three past papers LOOKING at the answers so i would know what actually was that i needed to do and to check where actually i had problems , i then put these three at the end of the pile

I went on and did more past papers without looking at the answers and i got some questions right some wrong. So the ones i got wrong i went over the correct answers to check. after the two weeks i re did the first three exam papers again and this time was better

I know ECR was a bit tough to study but if i could do it so can you!!!!

We are here to help :)
  • emma123
    emma123 Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    i always wonder how they actually access you as being competent/non competent in the exams. like say you get most of the questions right bar maybe one topic/question, would they mark you as non competent as a result? i ask this as i find process costing tricky yet in my practice exams i got a merit despite this
Privacy Policy