Are the computer based exams going to undervalue the AAT?

Options
Londina
Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
I found this post somewhere in the net and she has a good point:
I like the new computer based exams as I can choose exactly when I take them, rather than having the two fixed dates a year, so I can work through the exams one at a time at a lot quicker pace.
However I'm concerned with the new computer tests being multi choice that they will be much easier to pass.
If the exams are easier more people will have the qualification and therefore level of the qualification is reduced. This means eventually everyone will have the qualification and it won't mean as much to an employer, which means for the amount of work you put towards the qualification you may as well have gone for a degree in accounts as it would look better on a CV....which lets face it is the main reason for doing the qualification in the first place.

We shall see what happens, but there's no point in doing the AAT if it doesn't represent a high enough standard of education.

Comments

• JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Are they multiple choice then?

The bookkeeping exam i did for the ICB was in parts, but you entered the figures as normal. So its not like you could pick an answer you thought looked right, you had to do the calculations.

I do like the idea of computer based exams, and also the ones taken in the higher levels are checked by an examiner, which leads me to believe that some of those questions wont be multiple choice.
  • Kecak
    Kecak Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Some of the ACCA exams are multiple choice, and they're deceptively tough.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad step for the integrity of the AAT qualification, as long as they don't make it daft like "if in doubt, always put C, and you still might get 75%".

I have faith in our glorious AAT leaders.
  • divalannie
    divalannie Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I don't think they will undervalue AAT, my only concern with computer based exams is losing marks for a wrong answer without taking into consideration workings, surely on paper based exams you would get marks for carry through's even if the end answer was wrong?
  • torresgbr
    torresgbr Registered Posts: 38 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I have often wondered this question myself. I understand what your saying about the calculations and the carry through process, but to me a answer is either right or wrong.
    I don't understand how if you have used the right calculation's with the wrong figures how it can be right. Maybe it's just me.
    I agree with you though I don't think it will undervalue the AAT. I like the idea of sitting the exam when I'm ready.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    torresgbr wrote: »
    I have often wondered this question myself. I understand what your saying about the calculations and the carry through process, but to me a answer is either right or wrong.
    I don't understand how if you have used the right calculation's with the wrong figures how it can be right. Maybe it's just me.
    I agree with you though I don't think it will undervalue the AAT. I like the idea of sitting the exam when I'm ready.

If you're working on a complex P&L or B/S, most people will get the final answer wrong, its the workings that will hopefully get you enough to pass.

An ACCA tutor said to me she didn't once get a B/S to balance, so what hope do the rest of us have :D
  • torresgbr
    torresgbr Registered Posts: 38 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    PGM wrote: »
    If you're working on a complex P&L or B/S, most people will get the final answer wrong, its the workings that will hopefully get you enough to pass.

An ACCA tutor said to me she didn't once get a B/S to balance, so what hope do the rest of us have :D
    PGM after your post, I think I've changed my opinion. I think basically we have NO hope LOL
  • Paisley
    Paisley Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I had a go at the level 4 practice computer based exam on the AAT website yesterday. Some, but not all of the questions are multiple choice.
  • donnas1977
    donnas1977 Registered Posts: 182 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I have done certificate level and fra as cbe and there was no multiple choice questions. No paper is the same on cbe.
  • Paisley
    Paisley Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    donnas1977 wrote: »
    I have done certificate level and fra as cbe and there was no multiple choice questions. No paper is the same on cbe.

We've been told that too. Our first one's in December.
  • keane155
    keane155 Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I think the computer exams will have a few multiple choice questions, but there will also be written (well typed!) answers - I think they get marked by humans because it takes 6 weeks to get the result back - I hate the dreaded wait after exams!!

We did FRA computer based last year and I think it was probably easier than a paper based paper would have been, but I don't know what they'll be like this time - got my first tech. exam at the end of this month! :( I think I'll have a look at the personal tax one soon though.
Privacy Policy