Working from Home - claiming expenses

jackieshep
jackieshep Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor ⭐
I am working for a company whereby one of the directors works from home.

Can anybody help with with regards to the following:

1. what can they claim for working from home re expenses?
2. what can they claim for phone/mobile phone/internet from home?

Many thanks
Jackie

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    They can claim a proportion of the expenses relating to operating the business from home on a proportional basis. HMRC actually have some clear guidance here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/bim47825.htm

As for mobile and home phone these are limited to the cost of the calls only unless the contracts are in the company name where there is no BIK on the private calls. iPhones and Blackberries are not phones in HMRC's eyes and are to be treated as computers. i.e. 20% of phone and contract cost is a BIK. As for home internet I believe this is only for dial up but I'm not sure?
    Regards,

Burg
  • andrewtdk
    andrewtdk Registered Posts: 150 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Out of curiosity do you know exactly how the BIK works for blackberrys etc?

Is it just 20% of the total contract cost for the year or is it pro rata based on personal and business use as with normal computers? I presume this can get a bit complicated when it comes to deciding a personal use percentage and also as to what is classed as a computer or PDA as there are many different phones similar to blackberrys and iphones which may be caught out aswell
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    For limited companies, charging rent for use of the directors home is more flexible. A proportion of any associated costs can then be claimed as a deduction on the directors own tax return.
  • jackieshep
    For limited companies, charging rent for use of the directors home is more flexible. A proportion of any associated costs can then be claimed as a deduction on the directors own tax return.
    Is it something that needs to be discussed at year end when the directors tax return is done, which will probably be at the same time as the accounts are audited, or should expenses be allocated as the year progresses, as in my case the director works for a limited company.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    The allocation does not have to be done in advance but it is advisable to get the director to sign a simple Home Office Agreement to document that rent will be charged to the company for use of the directors premises during the year.

If you make it a 'serviced office' e.g. including telephone, internet etc. then you can bypass the wholly, exclusively and necessarily rules that apply to remibursed expenses for employees and instead use the more favourable wholly and exclusively only rules for a rental business.
  • jackieshep
    Thanks for your help Dean

Jackie
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    andrewtdk wrote: »
    Out of curiosity do you know exactly how the BIK works for blackberrys etc?

Last time I looked this up, even though a BB is classed as a computer and not a phone, if having a BB was a necessity of the business (i.e. you have a job with the company therefore you have to have a BB) then any private use of it is incidental and is not a BIK.

I can't remember where I read this, would have been one of the HMRC manuals, but I distinctly remember it as we have BBs and it's essential for work and we don't record them as a BIK for that reason.
  • wildgoose1uk
    wildgoose1uk Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    If it is a mobile phone then there is no BIK as long as the contract is in the firm's name;
    If it is a computer and wholly exclusively for work then there is no BIK

Hands up all those who sit in from of the TV every evening surfing the web on their BB?

My wife's firm throws Iphones at al the senior staff and there have been no issues either with the auditors or HMRC.
Privacy Policy