Child minding

richiebkerry
richiebkerry Registered Posts: 45 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi, just after some advice...

My wife is currently in employment and will soon be leaving her job to start a small business as a self employed child minder. The plan is for her to start at the beginning of the new tax year to keep things nice and easy. She has already had to start purchasing items so that her Ofsted is passed. Can these costs associated to the start up of the business count in the accounts? Also, has anybody got any general tips from previous clients who child mind, any tips or pitfalls?

Thanks Richard

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I've not had any experience with child minding businesses but yes, startup expenses can be claimed as "pre-trading expenses" befre she actually begins trading. Treat them as if incurred on Day 1 of trading.
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    The National Childminding Association have published a guide of things they've agreed with HMRC that childminders can claim for. It includes things like allowances for damaged furniture and small gifts for the kids. I don't have a link to it but if it's not on their website I'm sure they'll send you a copy if you ask.
  • Anne Boleyn
    Anne Boleyn Registered Posts: 196 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Childminders expenses

Hi

The HMRC link is http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/BIM52751.htm

Hope this helps.
  • richiebkerry
    richiebkerry Registered Posts: 45 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thanks for all your posts. Greatly appreciated ladies. Just want to make sure I don't miss anything out. If you can think of anything else please don't hesitate to shout me.
Privacy Policy