consolidated accounts - unit 31

aicbaicb
aicbaicb Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
I am really struggling with the consolidated accounts questions of AWS part 1 (unit 31), and keep getting it wrong. Could someone please give me a worked example, as the Kaplan book doesn't seem to help here/

Specifically, if company A buys goods and sells to Company B, then presumably this figure should be included in company A’s “goods purchased from external suppliers” as company B can’t include it there (as it is not from an external supplier).

If you could let me have a few worked examples, it would be a big help.

Thanks

Comments

• pirate
    pirate Registered Posts: 469 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    it a buys from b and all the debt is settled then there are no adjustments to be made.

If A buys from B and some of the debt is not settles then durring the consolidation the receivables (Debtors) and payables(creditors) are reduced by this amount.

If there has been a trade between the companies so a sold to b at a profit. A has paid B but not all the goods have been sold. There there is an unrealised intercompany profit. As we are consolidating accounts then this unrealised profit must be elimated.
    So If A sells to B goods which cost A 10,000 to B for 15,000 then th £5000 is profit. If B sells all the good then this is fine no adjustment is required. If B doesnt sell any of the goods then there is £5000 of unrealised profit which must be taken off the consolidated accounts. You would reduced the income statement (P&L) by the Unrealised profit in the cost of sales section, and the inventories (stock) section of the BS gets reduced also by the unrealised profit.

does that help.
    I have not got an AWS part in my Unit 31 book
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    hello dont know what AWS means but i do have some worked examples in excel from when i did Unit 31 ...they are in my memory stick but can send them to you if you PM me your email address
  • aicbaicb
    aicbaicb Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
    Aws

AWS = Accounting Work Skills, which is the official title of unit 31.

Thanks Marga and Pirate for your help
Privacy Policy