Learning SAGE

geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor šŸ˜
Hi Folks

As part of my book keeping course, I am also learning to use SAGE. I have been given work books to work through and when I have completed them, I will be given a test to complete to find out my knowldge of SAGE.

I am working through the work books at the moment, but the problem I am finding is that, by the time I get to the end of one work book, I tend to forget what was covered at the beginning of the book.

This makes me wonder if I can remember 'everything' by the time I do the test.

Is anybody else having this problem? If so, how did you overcome it? Is it a case of just going through the work books again and again, until you are familiar with the different types of screens?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Comments

• Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Hiya,

Haven't done the course in Sage, but try and do some exercises before you move on. If you can do them without the book, there is a bigger chance it will sink in.

So for example, if you use Sage and the workbook tells you to put one invoice on as example. Then make up 5 other invoices and put those on yourself, without looking at the textbook, before moving on to the next chapter/ workbook. As it is not for a real company in a work situation, it doesn't matter if the invoice exists or not.

Don't try this at work though! It might make your boss very angry if you all of a sudden start making up items.

If you keep going like that, you get more practice and it might sink in a bit better.
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor šŸ˜
    Agree with Rinske - practice, practice, practice.

I too learnt Sage from the workbooks, although I didn't have a test at the end of it - just a "live" situation, when I transferred from our old system to Sage, on my own! They really are good to work from. I presume you are working on the practice company -not the real thing,so making up invoices shouldn't be a problem.
  • geek84
    geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor šŸ˜
    Hi Folks

Many thanks for your replies. Sorry for the late response - I have not been feeling well.

Yes, I have already tried doing some exercises without the book. I can do them fine. However, tell me if I am being silly, but there are 3 work books. I have gone through all of them and by the time I finished the 3rd, I forgot some of the things I learned in the 1st book!

Is there a way of overcoming that problem?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Yes, after you finished all three books, you start practicing questions which combine a bit from each of the books. Like a practice exam for example or if you don't have one, randomly pick questions from each chapter and try them without looking at the answers. Once you keep going a bit on that, it will refresh what you've already learned and it will be easier to apply those bits that you thought you had forgotten.
Privacy Policy