Reducing Study Costs

rosieglow
rosieglow Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
I have completed the first to levels on the diploma route at college and am wanting to do the final level under the new QCF qualification. However, the problem I am having is that most providers seem to have used the new qualification as an excuse to ramp up their prices.

I had thought that under the new guidlines it might be possible to self study and enter self into exam but I can't find anything that says for definite if this is possible one way or another.

The other possibility is to go with eagle training which seem to be the cheapest of providers and seem to have some good reviews.

Suppose what I really want to know is:

1. Is it possible to self study and enter self into exams, has anyone else done this?
2. Are eagle education any good?
3. Are there any other ways to reduce costs of studying?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    you can self study for each of the exam units, just like you could on the old qualification. Just buy the books, and call and book the exam with a provider like BPP or kaplan, or maybe even a local college will let you.

the other units you will need to use a provider, although i have found that BPP charge quite a bit at the moment as they are doing 'online classroom' Kaplans prices are fairer i think.

Hope that helps
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    All comments on Eagle Education on the forums are very good and Sandy personally keeps recommending it, as they are aiming specific on AAT students and provide very good support. I haven't got any personal experience with them, but haven't seen any negative posts about them.
  • rosieglow
    rosieglow Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Thanks for the replies.

Just one other question, which level 4 units are exam units and which are assessments?
  • anniebabe
    anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting

Financial Statements Computer based formal test
    Budgeting Computer based formal test
    Financial Performance Computer based formal test
    Internal Control and Accounting Systems Project

Plus two of the following four units:

Credit management and control Project
    Personal Taxation Computer based formal test
    Business Taxation Computer based formal test
    External Auditing Computer based formal test
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    hello
    i am doing AAT level 4 on the old diploma pathway on my own

bought kaplan books Unit 33 MAC and Unit 11 DFS and paid the fees to AAT directly (around ยฃ90 for both i think) and did them this past week

I have been in contact with Kaplan who i am to book at the end of Jan for level 3 simulations unit 15 cash management and credit control and unit 32 profesional ethics for ยฃ50 each only the simulations (i already have the books)

I am liking Kaplan a lot as a provider will contact them as well for my unit 10 project
  • HelenWalker
    HelenWalker Registered Posts: 4 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Study texts?

Marga,
    I completed the first 2 levels at Kaplan. I was under the impression that I have to go on to the new qualification now? Are you sure you can continue with the old qualification?

I would like to know which books I need to buy for this level as I am going to study for the qualification alone. Can anyone help me here? I have looked on the Kaplan website but am unsure which textbook are relevant for this leve.

Thanks for your help!

Helen
  • anniebabe
    anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    If you do not complete your level by June you have no choice but to transfer to new route. (i checked that with student services the other week). Also you have to transfer to the new route in June in you need to progress onto the next level.
    Check out Osborne Books website for new books - you can also get some a bit cheaper at Amazon.
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Marga,
    I completed the first 2 levels at Kaplan. I was under the impression that I have to go on to the new qualification now? Are you sure you can continue with the old qualification?

I would like to know which books I need to buy for this level as I am going to study for the qualification alone. Can anyone help me here? I have looked on the Kaplan website but am unsure which textbook are relevant for this leve.

Thanks for your help!

Helen

Hi Helen

i started in the old qualification so i am able to carry on on that until June 2011. If i dont pass Unit 15,32 and the tax unit before June 2011 then i need to transfer.

I have Kaplan books for unit 33 and 11 which i bought directly from Amazon if i am not mistaken at ยฃ18 each i believe

Level 4 old standards
    MAC -exam
    DFS -exam
    Project - project
    are both mandatory units
    then two optionals of
    audit -project
    PTC -exam
    BTC -exam

i dont know the new qualification

i am hoping i wont need to transfer
Privacy Policy