Teaching or Bookkeeping?

mind_of_cubozoan
mind_of_cubozoan Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
Hi everyone

I need a real job (currently a school science techncian) to support my 1 year old daughter etc. I have thought about my skills and really teaching or bookkeeping are the best options.

I have a physics degree but no honours - which makes it difficult to jump onto graduate programs. I could teach (need to get in before current government changes everything) and get the holidays but working in a school makes me not want to teach children sometimes. Also with a mortgage I will struggle on training bursaries. I have been thinking about jumping on an evening college AAT course but of course I am not employed in that sector which could make it difficult.

So if I ended up with an AAT, is there loads of you floating about looking for your first job in accountancy? Is it a competitive field? I just wonder what the way forward is?

Many thanks for reading and looking forward to your insights and experiences.

Regards

Andy.

Comments

• Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    I'd look at finance officer work in the public sector - decent pay, flexi-time, plenty of provision for emergencies with childcare etc. They'll also like the fact that you'd do AAT at evening classes. Bookeeping'll have you stressed out for the first week of every month, & teaching'll have you stressed out permanently:( Even if you look at temporary roles within councils, it's actually quite rare that anybody ever leaves.
  • stevef
    stevef Registered Posts: 258 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Very rare to find jobs in the public sector at the moment with the current budget cuts, infact we are shedding posts at an alarming rate.
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Seconded stevef. Sickness is monitored very closely now as is unauthorised leave, the flexi-time is much more difficult to get unless exceptional circumstance, and almost all positions now are for internal candidates only - ie. one person ends up doing 3 people's jobs.

You really need to consider what is best for your situation. Teaching, (even higher ed.) level has lots of red tape & hoops to get through. As you are probably aware working in that situation.

There are jobs out there but truthfully it is a VERY competitive field, some jobs can have over 20 candidates apply so your CV has to be something special to make it through to the interview stage. Saying you want a "real job" probably won't cut it.

Science Tech is a "real job" but maybe you have become disillusioned with the system, (if you have may I recommend a reconsideration of the teaching idea?)

Book-keeping is a way forward - there are several companies who "franchise" accounts services to get you started, and there is also the members area on here where there are many people who have gone solo. If you do go solo it is worth ensuring that you have the correct qualification for the services you are providing, you have identified the clientel that you want (ie. small large medium) and the numbers of clients that you will require to ensure that you can pay all your normal bills, plus the additional insurances indemnities rates counter fraud certificates etc that you will require to be solo.

If you do the AAT it seems that a way to help is if you are able to volunteer some time to organisations to assist with book keeping work if you are not in that field, (maybe your daughter's playschool has a club you can assist with the books for?)
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Even if you look at temporary roles within councils, it's actually quite rare that anybody ever leaves.

Used to be, but with the government cuts...
  • Button UK
    Button UK Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    If you are interested I have the AAT Bookkeeping CD for sale. I bought it a couple of years ago for Β£175 but never ended up using it. You can have it for Β£60
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi everyone

I need a real job (currently a school science techncian) to support my 1 year old daughter etc. I have thought about my skills and really teaching or bookkeeping are the best options.

I have a physics degree but no honours - which makes it difficult to jump onto graduate programs. I could teach (need to get in before current government changes everything) and get the holidays but working in a school makes me not want to teach children sometimes. Also with a mortgage I will struggle on training bursaries. I have been thinking about jumping on an evening college AAT course but of course I am not employed in that sector which could make it difficult.

So if I ended up with an AAT, is there loads of you floating about looking for your first job in accountancy? Is it a competitive field? I just wonder what the way forward is?

Many thanks for reading and looking forward to your insights and experiences.

Regards

Andy.

Hi Andy

Have you thought about Teaching Assistant positions? These are quite flexible and to my opinion better than the Teacher role. You dont need to prepare classes therefore leaves you time in the evening to attend or study AAT in the meanwhile. Also as you are only helping some teachers there is plenty of cover in case you need to stay home one day for example with your daughter. Usually the hours are 9am to 3pm with some hours in between free. The pay is not bad either (depending schools) compare to what actually the job requires.

As the job would finish at 3pm it could allow you to find something part time for the afternoon/evening when you are not doing AAT classes so you can have more funds coming in. Then i would say after you are level 2 qualified AAT or bookeeping course then have a look again at your position and plan forward?
  • mind_of_cubozoan
    mind_of_cubozoan Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Thanks for all the replies. I will look on the council website for public sector positions.

Regarding becoming a teaching assistant, I get paid more and still get the school holidays. I think I will stay put and do a course, maybe picking up some charity accounts work.

I am applying for a trainee accountant position, all they want is someone with a degree. Wish me luck.

It's a real shame I can't afford to train as a teacher. Who would want to be one anyway?

Thanks
  • GinnyBee
    GinnyBee Registered, Tutor Posts: 131 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰

There are jobs out there but truthfully it is a VERY competitive field, some jobs can have over 20 candidates apply so your CV has to be something special to make it through to the interview stage. Saying you want a "real job" probably won't cut it.

It's not just the public sector, I went to an interview in December and was told there were 8 of us being interviewed for the position (Accounts and Audit Semi-senior), there would be at least two or maybe even three rounds of interviews and that there had been 58 applications for the job!!! Two years ago this job would have been for someone part way through their AAT, now the firm was demanding MAAT status! (Got to second interview stage, will hear by the end of this week?!?!) I don't wish to cause anyone alarm here, just make sure people realise Accountancy and Bookkeeping is not immune to the difficulties around at the moment!

On a happier note, if you want to do this you can! The AAT make it possible for people to change career and enter a field where you can do very well.

Ginny
Privacy Policy